• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Infantry Vehicles

Range Rover got a terrible rep for their air suspension system. The real problem was the logic in the ECM, that everytime it detected a fault it would lower the vehicle to the bump stops to "protect" the system. That had to be cleared with a code reader. The cure was about 10 times worse than the problem, which often was a faulty sensor.

Range Rover got a terrible rep for their air suspension system. The real problem was the logic in the ECM, that everytime it detected a fault it would lower the vehicle to the bump stops to "protect" the system. That had to be cleared with a code reader. The cure was about 10 times worse than the problem, which often was a faulty sensor.
Chevy’s air suspension still does that even in off-road mode if you’re going faster than they like.
It’s fixable with a code change.

Some new vehicles won’t even shift out of park unless the seatbelt is on for all passengers.

Chevy’s air suspension still does that even in off-road mode if you’re going faster than they like.
It’s fixable with a code change.

Some new vehicles won’t even shift out of park unless the seatbelt is on for all passengers.
Nany state!

Without a lot of the electronic engines management, you won't get the same power, so likely need to return to a larger, heavier engine. You won't get any amount of emission control, which is likely of interest to the government. Older un-managed engines, particularly diesels, ran on less refined fuels and belched smoke but still ran. I suppose you could return to a bespoke 'simple' drivetrain of yore, but it would likely need it's own supply chain from a manufacturer and perhaps different fuel (I'm not sure how well older diesels run on low sulphur fuel).

Nostalgia again. At the time I had Grade 9 autoshop and was the driver for my reserve unit's 3/4 command post. We were able to do all kinds preventative and minor maintenance on our vehicles. The only time they really went into the shop was when someone wrappped them around a tree.

🍻
When I was in the Reg Force, even I could do basic track maintenance. I am a mechanical MORON (My dad is the exact opposite, a mechanical genius and literally has built his own engines and modified his own tow trucks) but even someone like me with older systems could learn basics (When it comes to mechanics, don't explain any theory, just say do this then this then this, etc)

Now I suck at mechanics but damn a rockstar with biology and bio chemistry.

Probably good at chin ups too, then ;)

working out will smith GIF

Probably good at chin ups too, then ;)

working out will smith GIF
I could bang out 18-22 when I was 30. Or 5 with 60-80 LBS hanging off a weighted belt for chinning or dipping.

Sadly at almost 50, I can only do 6 or 7....

Before I injured my leg, I was brilliant at rolling 1000 lbs hay bales. Its part technique and part beast.

When I was in the Reg Force, even I could do basic track maintenance. I am a mechanical MORON (My dad is the exact opposite, a mechanical genius and literally has built his own engines and modified his own tow trucks) but even someone like me with older systems could learn basics (When it comes to mechanics, don't explain any theory, just say do this then this then this, etc)

Side bar, speaking of being a moron, young Private (Almost Corporal) ArmyRick was on deployment to Yugoslavia in 1997 (I/SFOR). I was "ground guiding" a grizzly AVGP off the wash racks (Like hell, I was checking out this adorable lady Bosnia kitchen worker). I backed the grizzly right into an HLVW. Ooops.

Our company transport sergeant was @OldSolduer , he was not amused and I found myself doing a day of remedial ground guide training with his 2IC, Shaky.

I could bang out 18-22 when I was 30. Or 5 with 60-80 LBS hanging off a weighted belt for chinning or dipping.

Sadly at almost 50, I can only do 6 or 7....

Before I injured my leg, I was brilliant at rolling 1000 lbs hay bales. Its part technique and part beast.
I know you fairly well. You’re built like a bull.

How would this Skyranger 30 work as the principal RWS on both the LAV 6 and a CCV based on something like the ASCOD or the CV90?

It's primary targets would be aerial but it would be highly effective against ground targets as well.

And leave the Anti Tank Weaponry in a second vehicle along with NEMO mortars and 90-120 mm DFS weapons.

It could also be provided on a static mount for airfield and naval defence and on a truck mount.

And Korea is fielding a low cost AESA radar capable of detecting small drones at 8 km.

Further to discussions on intelligent medium calibre ammunition.

Breaking Defense: The threat scenario now includes longer-range, higher-lethality weapons such as armor-penetrating anti-tank guided missiles (ATGMs). While those weapons are not ammunition, the advanced ammunition we’re discussing is designed to take out those types of threats. Please explain.

Harris:
ATGMs are a serious threat to our Bradley Fighting Vehicles and Stryker platforms, and the threat of ATGM teams is one of the reasons advanced ammunition emerged. We needed better ammunition to be able to take out the ATGM teams at longer distances to keep our forces safe.

Breaking Defense: ATGM teams operate from tactical wheeled vehicles so couldn’t they be taken out with conventional ammunition?

Harris:
We’re seeing them even more mobile than that with shoulder-based effectors similar to the Javelin anti-tank weapons system. The range of those have become longer, and we’re seeing that the ATGM teams are engaging our armed forces at the maximum range that our platforms are able to shoot conventional ammunition.

These ATGM teams are what’s called defilade targets that are behind cover. We needed more suitable ammunition for counter-defilade and taking out targets hiding behind objects that conventional ammunition couldn’t reach.

Adding ATGM missiles to the list of threats that can be countered by a medium calibre weapon

Anti-Aircraft - helos, fixed wing and cruise missiles.
C-RAM (Counter Rocket, Artillery and Mortar)
C-UAS (Counter Unmanned Air Systems)
C-ATGMs (Counter Anti-Tank Guided Missiles - arguably just rockets covered under C-RAM)
C-Defilade (Counter Defilade - troops in cover) - indirect fire
C-Light Armour and Light Vehicles by direct fire.

One gun, one bullet, one fuse, multiple targets - also multiple response times.

So a rapid-fire, slew-to-cue 30 mm x 173 mm then? On all LAVs?

So I guess this means that Kyiv will fall next week then.... ;)

Russia unlikely to make major Ukraine gains this year – US intelligence chief​

Avril Haines tells of ‘grinding, attritional war’ but sounds cautious note over Ukraine’s prospects in expected counter-offensive

Washington does not believe the Russian military can recover from its losses in Ukraine to make territorial gains there this year, the top US intelligence official has said, but she warned that Vladimir Putin still believes that time is on his side.

The assessment, presented by the director of national intelligence, Avril Haines, at a Senate hearing on Wednesday morning, was noncommittal on whether Ukraine could take back significant amounts of occupied land in its planned counter-offensive this spring. Haines said that would depend on multiple factors, including the loss of Ukrainian troops and equipment in resisting Russian attacks.

“There is currently a grinding, attritional war in which neither side has a definitive military advantage,” Haines told an open session of the Senate intelligence committee.

The Nato secretary general, Jens Stoltenberg, has warned that the long-embattled city of Bakhmut, on the eastern front, could fall in a few days, but Haines described Russian advances as “incremental” and Bakhmut as “not a particularly strategic objective”.

She listed Russia’s military constraints as including “personnel and ammunition shortages, dysfunction within the military leadership, exhaustion as well as morale challenges”, and high casualty rates.

“Putin likely has a better understanding of the limits of what his military is capable of achieving and appears to be focused on more modest military objectives for now,” Haines said.

She claimed US-led sanctions were having an impact on Russia’s ability to build more weapons.

“It will be increasingly challenging for them to sustain even the current level of offensive operations in the coming months and consequently, they may fully shift to holding and defending the territories they now occupy,” Haines said.
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...fires-everywhere-as-russians-close-in-ukraine
“In short, we do not foresee the Russian military recovering enough this year to make major territorial gains, but Putin most likely calculates the time works in his favour, and prolonging the war, including with potential pauses in the fighting, may be his best remaining pathway to eventually securing Russian strategic interests in Ukraine, even if it takes years.”

Haines did not say whether US intelligence agreed with the assessment that the longer the war lasts, the better Putin’s chance of success. She did, however, sound a note of caution about Ukraine’s prospects in an expected counter-offensive in the coming months.

“At present the Ukrainian armed forces remain locked in a struggle to defend against Russian offences across eastern Ukraine,” she said. “And while these Russian assaults are costly for Russia, the extent to which Ukrainian forces are having to draw down their reserves and equipment as well as suffer further casualties will all likely factor into Ukraine’s ability to go on the offensive later this spring.”

Haines did not mention another factor, the speed of delivery of western military equipment, which Kyiv portrays as being decisive. She did address the question of whether China would supply Russia with weapons and military equipment, suggesting that Beijing was currently undecided on how far to go down that path.
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...-has-returned-to-europe-with-ukraine-conflict
“We do see them providing assistance to Russia in the context of the conflict,” she said, adding that it was something the US watched very carefully. “We see them in a situation in which they’ve become increasingly uncomfortable about the level of assistance and not looking to do it as publicly as might otherwise occur, given the reputational costs associated with it.”

Despite the combative rhetoric of Xi Jinping and others in the Chinese leadership, Haines said it was the concerted assessment of US intelligence that Xi wanted to avoid further US sanctions.

“He wants a period of relative calm to give China the time and stability it needs to address growing domestic difficulties,” Haines said.

Seems like Roshel is going to be offering a Mine Protected version of their current vehicle.

Looks like a pretty skookum utility vehicle. A large empty space for carrying ammo, stretchers or troops. Just don't launch your next assault with it.

Looks like a pretty skookum utility vehicle. A large empty space for carrying ammo, stretchers or troops. Just don't launch your next assault with it.
yep, op parties, ambulance, CP's, MP's , Sigs, Manpad teams, BSM party, etc, etc

At a certain point you need to understand that you need an actual armored vehicle, not a ‘armored’ vehicle.

At a certain point you need to understand that you need an actual armored vehicle, not a ‘armored’ vehicle.

How about: at a certain point you need an actual armoured vehicle, not all vehicles need to be armoured. As the owner of Roshel said himself in the CP24 piece. This is not a LAV. It is a communications vehicle, a command and control vehicle. In Ukraine they need armoured vehicles even when off the Line of Control

You know. Something between the HMMWVs that were in Somalia and the Bradleys that weren't..

Back