• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Infantry Officer 2010-2011 Training Schedule?

biglattimer

Inactive
Reaction score
I will be attending BMQ end of August this year.. I'm wondering if there are set dates for the rest of the phases in 2010 that I will be going through.. If not, what can be expected as far as when I can expect to start courses, how much time between courses etc..

Thanks!

biglattimer said:
I will be attending BMQ end of August this year.. I'm wondering if there are set dates for the rest of the phases in 2010 that I will be going through.. If not, what can be expected as far as when I can expect to start courses, how much time between courses etc..

Thanks!

You'll be attending IAP/BOTC, not BMQ.  After that, you'll go to CFB Gagetown and do Phase 2 (CAP - common army phase), of which there are several serials throughout the year that teach all Army trades (and some purple) section-level weapons and tactics. Regarding infantry-specific training, generally speaking there is a summer and winter serial of Phase 3 (dismounted platoon commander's course, AKA DP 1.1) and a summer serial of Phase 4 (mechanized platoon commander's course, AKA DP 1.2).  I know they tried running a winter Phase 4 a year or two ago, but I'm not sure if they continued it.

It can take a while to finish all your training.  I finished a summer CAP course and sat on PAT platoon for 5 months waiting for a Phase 3 to start.  You could get lucky and hit a summer BOTC, fall CAP, winter DP 1.1, and summer DP 1.2. 

What kind of duties were you assigned during your time in the PAT platoon? Does it offer an opportunity to really push your PT levels up or are you pretty darn busy? Just curious  :)

There has been a DP 1.2 serial run the past two winters. Expect trg from start (BMOQ) to finish (DP 1.2) to take a total of two years, give or take.

After DP 1.1 you'll be a qualified Pl Comd, and as such will be employable in a variety of jobs. If there is a large gap between DP 1.1 and 1.2 expect to be farmed out to a trg centre. However, until you have completed DP 1.1 your employment opportunities are limited. Not to say you won't be busy, but do not expect to be given a leadership role (ie. course officer) until you have graduated DP 1.1.

Your experience on PAT Pl can vary. Generally it is a great opportunity to get quality PT in.

Hope this helps.

spkeown said:
What kind of duties were you assigned during your time in the PAT platoon? Does it offer an opportunity to really push your PT levels up or are you pretty darn busy? Just curious  :)

Absolutly, great time for PT, however, that goes without saying.  As a junior officer who was in your position not that long ago the best thing you could do if you have a few months on PAT is to attempt to get a tasking (LFAATC is often looking for unqualified officers to be course officers), and do some OPME's and complete AJOSQ.  Completing AJOSQ and getting a few OPME's downrange will make your life a hell of a lot easier when you get to Bn.

spkeown said:

There are numerous taskings that come up on PAT Pl - I acted as general duty (AKA range setter-upper, cleaner-upper, etc) for the sniper concentration, which was an excellent opportunity to learn a bit about sniper employment from the master sniper that led our team as well as get good range ideas/tricks for use later on when you actually have to design/OIC ranges.  I was also enemy force for a DP3B (Pl 2IC course), which had its interesting moments.

When there aren't tasks, you have PLENTY of time for PT.  Morning PT is usually mandatory, we had a parade after PT at 0900, then another parade at 1300 and that was it - the rest of our time was ours to do with as we pleased so if it hasn't changed and you want to work out, you'll have more time than you know what to do with.

If you make the most of your time on PAT Pl and you are self-motivated it can be the best time of your life.

However, if you waste it an spend every day in the shacks playing PS3 you are setting yourself up for failure.

In three months of focusing on nothing but making yourself better you could do PT twice a day, knock out a couple OPMEs and have AJOSQ done (as mentioned above).

And that's just during work hours.  You're still getting home every day at 1600 and at Sweetwaters every weekend.

I'm not saying to burn yourself out and not take a breather between phases, I'm just saying don't waste your time when you don't really have anything to do.

If you wait until you're trade qualified you'll be boots deep in work and getting to know your new platoon, and then before you know it you'll be married and having kids and deployed...and then you'll be a Captain for a few years and kicking yourself in the ass because you're still trying to finish off your 6th OPME and regretting not spending your PAT time wisely because all you want to do after a hard day at work and your kids go to bed is crash.

</advice based on personal experience>

Back