• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

In need of Nerd advice

X-mo-1979

Army.ca Veteran
Inactive
Reaction score
I run my own website/blog dealing with hiking boating kayaking etc.I have been searching for a while to find a way to take a Jpeg image of a map and add a small dot on a specific map point so readers can click it and see a picture or a link it to text about that area.

I have exhausted my google searches looking for info on how to do it.My computer skill's are somewhat lacking,and am looking for computer competent people to point me in the right direction.

I use a saved google map Jpeg to upload to show my trip.I do not want to use the panorama option as I don't want to upload it to the general public.Just my photo with links on the photo.I am using blogger as my current host,but willing to change if needed.

I have put this message on other boards to no avail.I'm hoping someone here can aid me in a program or talk me through how to do it.

Do you have any kind of GPS mapping software?  Call up the area in question, put a waypoint dot on the spot you want, and save the map in documents.  Then you should be able to add it to your page.  Haven't tried it myself, but don't see any reason why it won't work.

Roger that Garb.
I'm trying it out now.

What I have is a google blogger account.When I am done a large hike etc I usually just post a google map and trace out where I went.I then add photo's to the blog entry.

What I am TRYING to do is have a picture I can upload and then have clickable parts on the photo.So then people interested in the same area can look at the map then click on links on the picture I uploaded to show pictures of that area.So instead of having a map then a bunch of photos posted below I can post one map with a quick summary having all the pictures linked on the map.

Basically just the map picture from google earth,with a few points on it I.E pictures at that grid,points of interest etc.

I think this tool garb provided might work,but being computer illiterate..it may take me some time to figure it out.

thanks all for the response.Quite the change from the army I joined.Remember only officers and Warrants needed a email lol.

Garb811 excellent program its the one I've been looking for.Im still testing a few things with it but I believe this will do just fine.I managed to get a map posted to my blog with links to the photos along that map.Now Im just working on posting a Jpeg to replace the empty box,to allow readers to click on say a red dot instead of an invisible box.

This is excellent guys thanks a million!

Thanks George just downloading that one now as well to decide which one I am going to use.My GPS is a older Garmin Etrex that needs a serial port cable to upload my data,and I dont have a cable.

I'll drop back in a bit with a summary.

Any other info is welcomed as well.

I am having issues with the basic online map one.When I post it to my blog half of the map is not there.

Naah don't mix work and fun! ;D

Again thanks to all that helped!It was a steep learning curb for me with that program Garb sent but it does the job wonderfully.Now its a few days of transcribing 2 years of trip reports!

thanks george for that program as well.I think it may prove useful when I get with the times and buy a gps with a chip!

Hi again guys....In need of more nerd advice.
Where I am at now:
-managed to use the image mapping tool provided by Garb811.Works great.
-I now have a image which is a overview of say a 20km trip.Along that I have imported a small television for video and a small camera for pictures.Just a royalty free Jpeg I imported into paint.I then save the map with the camera and tv already on the spots that I want to add the links.

-I have had a few requests from readers to have a zoomable map.They enjoy the current layout however I asked for suggestions and by far that was the overwhelming suggestion would to have a zoomable map where I could go from a overall area (SW ontario for example) into different tripping area's.

Hoping you guys can push me into the right direction.I need a program that will be in HTML mode.I don't know if CSS will work or not.It is just on a google blog.

Perhaps it would be easier to create a personalized map in Google Map? Using the My Map function, you can add each point of interest, then name the dot plus add your own picture and notes. Thus you will get all the features of Google Map (zoom, searchable, satellite view) as well. You can choose to make it Unlisted so only those who have the URL can view the map if privacy is an issue.

hmmm...
Can you make that map a HTML code to say put onto a blog?What I am trying to go for is that sort of map which is pretty much what your saying,however having it posted on my blog for ease of viewing.Privacy isnt really an issue however I have a well established blog which I enjoy using.With plus of 80 visitors a day I want to keep all my info there.

Cheers

That shouldn't be a problem. Once the map is created (and not in edit mode) you can click on the "Link" button at the top left of the map, you will then be able to get the HTML code for embedding. It also allows you to customize the size of the map.

Google - My Map
How to Embed a map

Roger that.
I'll give this a test later this afternoon.I gotta go buy some kayaking stuff. :)
Thanks for the help.Ill post back here once I figure it out if it will work or not.

Back