• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Improved Combat Uniform

dapaterson said:
If a few officers are so insecure that they need high-visibility ranks to ensure they are saluted the solution is not high visibility ranks, but better quality officers.

What's the point of even having name tags and ranks on the uniform if nobody can even see them? I'm pretty sure their not changing them just so that more salutes can be thrown around.

Bzzliteyr said:
and full PT gear including (unused) grey runners, grey shorts and white t-shirt with blue collar.

Oh man, do you ever have to show up to the next 'formation PT' session with that stuff on and some Lt Ring (Heartbreak Ridge) glasses.  8)

Make sure you style it up and wear the old school issued grey socks with those *runners*. 

dapaterson said:
So we've invested millions to acquire uniforms with improved camouflage.

And now we're spending more money to get rank and name identifiers that are high visiblity.

"Special Kind Of Stupid" does not begin to describe this
If a nametape and rank epaulet compromise your camouflage, you're doing it wrong. 

-Skeletor- said:
IMO the improved visibility name and rank isn't a issue for field use as the tac vest and/or FPV would cover them(if the name and rank are worn).
Exactly.  End of story.  I personally have trouble distinguishing ranks at times, even when standing talking to someone.  Depending on the condition of the epaulet and the particular pattern on it, MCpl and Sgt can be a little hard to make out and I've addressed people by the wrong rank on numerous occasions.  I'm not worried about getting chewed out in the least, I just like to be correct. 

dapaterson said:
We've already got a uniform for garrison wear that has high visibility ranks & nametags.  It's called the DEU.

Not appropriate if you're working on the shop floor, but plenty adequate for sitting around the office type jobs.
A lot of us work in a garrison where the DEU is worn maybe half a dozen times a year.

Seriously, I think some people will find anything to be cynical about. I'm guilty of it from time to time.  If anyone thinks this is some scheme to elicit more salutes or anything like that, they are on glue and should re-evaluate their career.

Anyone heard if there is any reality to the rumour that the new combats are being redesigned at the last minute because someone decided that the mandarin collar was too "American looking".  So now the new ICU will continue to have the current collar?

I did some reserch and it said that there was going to be 24,000 made starting 2012 but I have yet to see any of these Improved Combat Uniforms (ICU). 

Could you please give us fellows in the dark a Link to a news article, or better yet, to a manifest of the order? i'm quite interested in hearing about this.

Edit : Apologies, when I first read this thread, I saw it as without replies. Seems like a Snafu; forget I asked.

The rank slip-on looks an awful lot like a 'target patch'....is there a subdued version for 'the field' (i.e. the current one) and one for garrison?

slayer/raptor said:
If you're in the field, in theory it will be covered up by frag and tac vests.

And promptly placed on the tacvest shoulder strap ;D

Yes it is the new ICU, you can tell from the angled zipper pockets on his chest, the cadpat patch covering his sleeve pockets, the collar and holes to put pens.  I have the interim combat shirt and its not the same.

Haggis said:
The Army SM is not wearing the ICU.  That's an interim/hybrid version shirt and current version trousers.

That is the ICU. It has all the new features which where shown in a presentation about it.

Skip to 12:15 in the video. It's where the ICU is introduced and worn. Its the same Uniform which is in the picture.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=473A20b0Sxs

Looks like the final design was a compromise collar between a true mandarin collar and the old collar.  I'm sure that the AR shirt I saw at DSSPM a couple years ago had the short mandarin collar on it.

Old EO Tech said:
Looks like the final design was a compromise collar between a true mandarin collar and the old collar.  I'm sure that the AR shirt I saw at DSSPM a couple years ago had the short mandarin collar on it.

What do you prefer? mandarin collar or current Canadian style? I personally prefer mandarin..

slayer/raptor said:
Yes it is the new ICU, you can tell from the angled zipper pockets on his chest, the cadpat patch covering his sleeve pockets, the collar and holes to put pens.  I have the interim combat shirt and its not the same.

Yup, you and Verge1993 are right.  I can see the details now on a real monitor.  Shouldn't have based my argument on a photo viewed on a Kobo E-Reader.  :nod:

Verge1993 said:
What do you prefer? mandarin collar or current Canadian style? I personally prefer mandarin..

I'm partial to the mandarin collar as well, but I guess I'll have to wait and see for the new CADPAT to arrive and judge for myself.

Back