• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

If this does not change, why are we trying so hard?

GAP

Army.ca Legend
Subscriber
Donor
Mentor
Reaction score
The bribe to exit Pakistan: 15 cents
By David Montero | Correspondent of The Christian Science Monitor
http://www.csmonitor.com/2006/0830/p05s01-wosc.html

Afghanistan, Pakistan agreed last week to joint patrols of their border, but official crossings remain lax.

CHAMAN, PAKISTAN – For a little more than the price of tea, Abdul Razzak, a trader, says he crosses illegally from Pakistan into Afghanistan every day.
Mr. Razzak, who stood recently near the border, preparing to cross, has no passport or identification documents of any kind. But that doesn't matter: For only 10 rupees (about 15 cents), he bribes the border security forces to let him through. Sometimes he pays 20.

"I bargain for the price. All of these people," he says, indicating the throngs of pedestrians moving toward the border check post, "when crossing the border, don't have documents. They're all paying the Frontier Constabulary [the border security forces]."

Chaman, the main border crossing into Kandahar 60 miles away, is supposed to be a model of border security, symbolizing Pakistan's commitment to containing the Taliban surge. Instead, security measures are breached for mere pennies, bolstering the accusation that Taliban fighters based in Pakistan are infiltrating the volatile Afghan provinces of Kandahar and Helmand.

That accusation was most recently leveled by Gen. John Abizaid, commander of the US Central Command. He told reporters at Bagram air base that militants are using Pakistan as a base from which to infiltrate into Afghanistan. He was quick to add, however, that he did not believe the Pakistani government is conspiring with them.

"I think that Pakistan has done an awful lot in going after Al Qaeda and it's important that they don't let the Taliban groups be organized on the Pakistani side of the border," he told reporters.
More on link

Best thing the Pakistanis could do is to close down the taliban Madrass' that are "growning" new jihadists

but that would create discord within their border - instead of within someone else's - guess it won't happen.....

Just to be cynical it is possible that from the Pakistan's government perspective allowing people who might rise up and overthrow the government to unofficially (wink wink nudge nudge) leave as easily as they wish could be considered a good thing.  Let them be Afghanistan's problem rather than have to deal with it themselves.  There might not be a lot of internal pressure to really resolve the issue as long as they can play lip service to doing something about it to appease the west.

(a little like the Saudi perspective on things.... behave while you're at home. You can do what the Hell you want while outside)

Maybe we need to take a leaf from Vlad the impaler book and set up a couple of thousand posts on the border and decorate them.

ah yes, an alternate means of conflict management...

I am just being sensitive to their culture and trying to communicate our message in a way that crosses cultural barriers and breeches perceived stereotypes.  ;D

Colin P said:
I am just being sensitive to their culture and trying to communicate our message in a way that crosses cultural barriers and breeches perceived stereotypes.  ;D

Didn't the Romans do that to the people they didn't feed to the lions?  :)

The "public display" methodology is not something so foreign to Canada......Any other Maritimer's remember their history...criminals were crucified on the islands at the entrance of Halifax harbour to encourage proper behavior of new arrivals....

trying to predict the Pakistani behaviour is a lot like trying to predict mine: virtually impossible.

You have to remember that Mushie (he's cool with that. We go way back, me an' him) is barely in control at any given time. His entire "government" and security apparatus is riddled with conflicting parties. The ISI, for instance, is fueling the Islamic whackjobs while the Army is trying to squash them. And in both, you have people who are going against the grain - ISI agents who are trying to stem the Taliban, and Army Officers who are supporting them.

That's just two examples. His entire infrastructure is like that. The entire nation is composed of feuding tribes, sectarian violence, rampant corruption, and roving brigands. He's trying to bring modern civilization to a people that reject it, and the only thing keeping the nation from imploding into a South-East Asian version of Yugoslavia circa 1990-1995, is his will and political manoeuvring. And he has to deal with the US breathing down his neck, Karzai pointing out his impotence, and India. That's a whole different kettle of fish for him, since he's been making peace deals with India, and his entire country wants to go to war with them, again. He's got the press demanding he keep his word and relinquish his military comand, but if he does, he loses control of the only force keeping his nation intact. He's got the various civil/human rights groups on him for any number of violations his country is guilty of. The list is endless.

He's not only walking a tightrope, he's doing it over a pit of alligators, with a blindfold on, and while carrying an open pot filled to the brim with scalding water. Dude's screwed.

Plus in our favour, the tally's and Islamofascist have tried to whack him on several occasions, so he is not likely to ally himself with them. It is one messed up country, with Nukes.......

Not sure that people taking pokes at Para's buddy is good for us...

IF Mush takes a swan dive all hell will break loose.

Besides when its $20USD for me and a buddy to carry our Glocks thru KAIA and onto a commercial jet -- I'm not surprised the border is pooched by the tribal areas

You nailed in, Paracowboy.
The status of Pakistan on the global political stage is a Weather-Bell for world politics in general.  This is a nations that has managed to court China, the United States, and what remains of the Taliban, simultaneously.
Their position is so significant that one cannot even state the above in the mainstream media, or mixed company.

There was an article in Foreign Affairs, IIRC, a while back that pointed out that most regional experts found the scare of Musharaf getting knocked off and a Islamic power taking control of the state and the bomb to be overstated.  With the prestige and the power of the military and the way Pakistani politics works, the most likely result of Musharaf's departure would simply be another general taking his place.

Plus, if that fails and things looked to be heading south, I'd give it a week before you had Indian troops pushing into Islamabad.

I'll try and find that article.

No offence Infanteer -- but my opinion of the ablity of Cdn DFAIT or US State Dept personnel to read which way the wind blows in those areas is rather low.

If another Gen did take over does not guarantee any greater (or similar) level of (in)stability for Pakistan, and other challengers ISI etc. would likley gather courage from the removal of one General (coups tend to happen in sucession). 

Back to the intial point -- neither Pakistan nor Afghanistan has the capability to enforce any laws at the border.  Big K has been on record as being in favouur of mining it - to create enforceable and monitorable choke points.

The Can-US bords is a porous sieve -- and we (North American's) are generally a structured culture of orderly and law abiding folk. 

besides, Indian troops crossing the border is the only thing that would unite the entire nation. You think it's bad now?

Back