• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

IAP in Kingston

Lumber

Army.ca Veteran
Donor
Reaction score
Anyone have any substance to add to the rumours fluttering around about IAP for new RMC cadets being conducted in Kingston? At RMC and CFB Kingston?

Cheers.

Well, the recruting PO who called me today said that there would be a 4 week RMC intro course starting in early August, but that sure isn't IAP...

cheeky_monkey said:
Well, the recruting PO who called me today said that there would be a 4 week RMC intro course starting in early August, but that sure isn't IAP...

Nope, that's FYOP (First Year Orientation Program)

Max

[hijack] I see. I always thought FYOP started in September. [/hijack]
It would make sense if IAP was conducted in Kingston, seeing as no one who has been accepted this year will have the course. Then again, I don't see why the course wouldn't just be held at the Mega.

I don't think (my OWN opinion) any IAP or BOTP (or whatever we call it this week) should be done at the mega, not saying Officers are better, just that I think they need a different training environment. Maybe at campus St Jean, or Chiliwack (kinda like the old days) or hell ya Kingston, then maybe they could do Sword drill, etc..!

cheeky_monkey said:
[hijack] I see. I always thought FYOP started in September. [/hijack]
It would make sense if IAP was conducted in Kingston, seeing as no one who has been accepted this year will have the course. Then again, I don't see why the course wouldn't just be held at the Mega.

The way I see it is that for prospective RMC cadets or first year civi-uni you got 4 years to get BOTC completed but for the civi-university students who have 2 or 1 year left must complete BOTC asap. From what I've heard BOTC at St.Jean is packed.

airman87 said:
The way I see it is that for prospective RMC cadets or first year civi-uni you got 4 years to get BOTC completed but for the civi-university students who have 2 or 1 year left must complete BOTC asap. From what I've heard BOTC at St.Jean is packed.

You don't HAVE to complete BOTC asap. If you somehow manage to be enrolled under ROTP and yet complete university without having finished IAP and/or BOTP, then you'll just do like DEOs and doing IAP and BOTP, then Phase II then Phase III etc., one after the other. I mean, once you've graduated you have all year from start to finish to take these courses.

And BOTC at St.Jean is packed in the summer because thats the only time OCdts/NCdts can be on BOTC, we have school the rest of the year. During the rest of the year, the DEOs still to BOTC in small numbers and its not very packed.

What we've been told at the school is that the mega is to packed so their bringing IAP to RMC. Apparently it'll introduce the new cadets to the RMC atmosphere...

Cookie89 said:
Apparently it'll introduce the new cadets to the RMC atmosphere...
That's what the hell FYOP is for....

Lumber said:
That's what the hell FYOP is for....

How about,"IAP might have to be adjusted if it comes to Kingston then, because introducing new cadets to the RMC atmosphere is what FYOP is meant for."

It doesn't hurt to be civil, Lumber...

Good2Golf said:
It doesn't hurt to be civil, Lumber...

Sorry, I didn't mean to sound unfriednly.  :(

But, isn't IAP suppose to introduce RMC cadets (and all O/NCdts) to the CF? We talk often of RMC cadets being blind to how the CF really operates, won't this just make it worse? Or will it be run up at CFB Kingston with little to no interaction with RMC?

One could certainly imagine IAP and FYOP as being complementary; IAP for building awareness of the CF writ large, and FYOP for providing a familiarization to new Officer Cadets at RMC.  I'm not sure if this is what the system has in mind, though.

I believe the term now for the old BOTC (BOTC was completion of IAP and BOTP) is BMOQ (Basic Military Officer Qualification)...or it could be BOMQ (Basic Officer Military Qualification).  As per the CDA link (DWAN access only), it states:

About the Basic Officer Military Qualification (BMOQ) (formerly know as BOTP) 

http://cda-acd.mil.ca/DLM/engraph/services/accred/milequiv/botp_e.asp

Although the first part contradicts itself the term BMOQ is used throughout the rest of the page. 

So does anyone have an idea at all why they felt the need to change from assigning trades upon enrolment to assigning them upon completion of first year?

Also, is this for all ROTP applicants or just those attending RMC?

It's for all of us. I'm civvi U and I won't get my trade until after IAP/ BOTC. I don't have to wait after that though because I'm already pretty much done first year haha, 2 finals come April and that's it!

Lumber said:
So does anyone have an idea at all why they felt the need to change from assigning trades upon enrolment to assigning them upon completion of first year?

Also, is this for all ROTP applicants or just those attending RMC?

Anyone else not so crazy about this practice? I don't think it's fair to dangle something in front of someones nose and then snatch it away after the individual has already put in some time. It's only fair that a person know what they're getting themselves into, otherwise they may be hesitant about joining or even hesitant during training.
  Decisions way above my pay grade, but then, most are.  ;D

Hello all! This is my first post at Navy.ca and I'm looking forward to posting a lot more more.

As I understand it, it's more from an administrative standpoint. What used to happen is that individuals coming from the civi world would chose a trade based on recruiting material or friend/family experience (except, of course, those who transferred from the ranks or the reserves). Then after some time at RMC they would either realize that MOC "X" wasn't what they really wanted or the MOC "XX" is much better. This would cause of barrage of Occupational Transfers for the admin. to handle.

The new system, I imagine, would allow Cadets a year to really get a good look at the different MOCs and then make a choice. It also allows cadets an environment in which to further develop their leaderships skills and it allows for a more thorough MOC selection process (high-school experience vs. at least 1 year in the CF)

I understand the hesitation some people may feel about investing at least a year's worth of time and effort without knowing if you'll get the MOC you really want.

As for IAP in Kingston (being the root issue  :) ) I've heard many different variations from Officer Cadets, PSOs at the Recruiting Centre, and officer close to the command team. An RMC buddy of mine told me that there won't be anything in August and that Sept. FYOP will just include more of the basics (I doubt this one is correct). An officer told me that she heard that we'll get an IAP style introduction in August in Kingston with NCM instructors (Master Corporals, Sergeants, etc.) and THEN we'll do FYOP with 3rd and (I believe 4th) year cadets at the helm.

Just a bit non-actionable intelligence on the table  :)  Glad to be here, looking forward to getting to know a few fellow O/NCdts !

DChamberlain-NAVY said:
Hello all! This is my first post at Navy.ca and I'm looking forward to posting a lot more more.

As I understand it, it's more from an administrative standpoint. What used to happen is that individuals coming from the civi world would chose a trade based on recruiting material or friend/family experience (except, of course, those who transferred from the ranks or the reserves). Then after some time at RMC they would either realize that MOC "X" wasn't what they really wanted or the MOC "XX" is much better. This would cause of barrage of Occupational Transfers for the admin. to handle.

Hey Chamberlain, glad to gave you here. Your logic makes sense, but not for all situations/trades. I, for instance, want to fly planes no matter what. I want to do it for the CF and for my country more than anything else in the world, but if that were not possible, I would very seriously consider flying on the civvy side. Had the CF said to me: "We'll enroll you, but you might be an AirNav, Pilot, or Air Traffic Controller, I probably would have taken my chances and accepted, but definitely would have hesitated.
  While your thinking makes sense from an administrative point of view for some situations, and could save the CF some money on OT's or VOR's, I think it will discourage quite a few people from joining.

Another thing is for us Civvi U people, we don't get that same kind of exposure to the different trades during university, so we get told "You were accepted to X" then called back later and said "Well, you are actually in Operations Support" we don't find out what trade we get into until later, but we also don't get any way of finding out more about each trade from our instructors really...

The system might be good for RMC, but for civvi U, well I'm living through it right now, so we'll have to see how it goes. So far it's just an ambiguity, and they did say "Once you are done BMOQ if you are given a job you don't want to do, you can decline and get a VR right away." I don't want to VR.... I was accepted for a trade, and want to do it, but well, there is always DEO down the road...

DChamberlain-NAVY said:
An officer told me that she heard that we'll get an IAP style introduction in August in Kingston with NCM instructors (Master Corporals, Sergeants, etc.) and THEN we'll do FYOP with 3rd and (I believe 4th) year cadets at the helm.

This is what I'm hoping for if us new 1st years don't actually get some form of Basic Officer Training.. What I have heard (hearsay, I know, I know) is that IAP will be run after school hours, at CFB Kingston, as opposed to on campus.

Back