• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

IAP/BOTC

jwsteele

Inactive
Reaction score
Ok...I know the RMC students complete their basic training at the college...but when do Civi U ROTP students complete their training.  If IAP/BOTC is a 14 week course and I'm only training for 8 weeks of the summer, when do I make up the other 6.  I ask because I was told that next summer is second language training.  It seems odd to delay completion of basic training for almost two years.  How do they squeeze in CAP and Phase 3 and 4?  Do I do a whole bunch of training after I graduate or do they keep me for the whole summer in the following years?

Civilian university Candidates:

First summer - IAP
Second summer - BOTP
Third Summer - Occupation Training
Fourth summer - SLT

Add to the last post is that the end of summers after IAP/ BOTP are filled in with SLT

Whats the summer training schedule for RMC student's? Or is it the same as Civ-U.

I understand that it's the same as Civi-U, but because of their location and academic envrionment, they are able to carry out some training during the school year that Civi-U students cannot.  I hear RMC students recieve their commission upon graduation whereas Civi-U students have a bunch of training post-graduation to complete and recieve thier commission later.  It's all very weird and the routine appears to change from year to year because I've had people tell me thousands of things...most of them in contradiction to another.  ROTP is much more complicated than it appears on paper.  Just gotta go with the flow and do what they tell me I guess.

Aquilus said:
Whats the summer training schedule for RMC student's? Or is it the same as Civ-U.

RMC:

First summer - IAP
Second summer - MOC Training
Third summer - SLT
Fourth summer - MOC Training

kincanucks, I'm going to have to correct you here. The training schedule you listed above applies to RMC students, too. This is my second summer and I just completed BOTP and am now doing SLT. I'm not too sure when this change happened, but it seems its now the standard for all RMC people. I start my MOC training next summer in Gagetown whereas in previous years, i would have started it this year.

Big Foot said:
kincanucks, I'm going to have to correct you here. The training schedule you listed above applies to RMC students, too. This is my second summer and I just completed BOTP and am now doing SLT. I'm not too sure when this change happened, but it seems its now the standard for all RMC people. I start my MOC training next summer in Gagetown whereas in previous years, i would have started it this year.

Yeah, ditto. Right now, in terms of summer training the only difference WRT RMC people was that we didn't have to do week 0 of BOTP.

Big Foot said:

Well don't I feel better as I have been corrected.  The information that I have provided is straight from the Enhanced Leadership Model Training Schedule which is provided by CFRG HQ and is what is suppose to happen to each of the three different types of ROTP candidates.  Now you use the word "I".  Are you using that word to say that this is what is happening in your case or are you using to say that this is what is happening to everyone that is in RMC and joined at the same time as you?  By the way there are two training schedules above your post.

I was under the impression that the rest of BOTC that wasn't to be completed during the first year was to be covered throughout the year at RMC. Is this not the case at all anymore? Or was it ever?

Attached is the ELM TRAINING PLAN.  This is what is suppose to happen for all three types of ROTP Candidates.  Keep in mind that any part of this can and will be changed for a variety of reasons such as training resources availability or student load, etc.

2332Piper said:
kincanuks, if you take french courses on your own time during the year while you are at university (from the perspective of a civvie U candidate) and you prove an acceptable competance in your second language, are you still then required to attend SLT, or can that summer be filled with another course/tasking/OJT?

Before you begin your SLT you will be tested and place in the applicable level.  However, to be exempt from SLT you would have to be deemed fully bilingual.

kincanucks, the split IAP/BOTP is not just in my case. Every other first year from RMC was at the Mega this summer to complete BOTP. It seems that this is now the new standard, regardless of what the training schedules you have say. The OCdts who just completed prep year are simply doing IAP at the moment and will be doing BOTP next summer, the same as the new intake of senior applicants for RMC. What prompted this change, I don't know, but it seems thats just the way it is. I don't mean to correct you personally but as this site prides itself on up to date information, what better source that the Mega? I don't know when/if the training will move back in line with the papers available to the recruiting personnel, but for the time being, IAP/BOTP is split between 2 summers.

Not to be a pain in the ass...but when does CAP happen?  The recruiting website says the schedule for combat arms officers is:
IAP/BOTC
CAP
Phase III MOC
Phase IV MOC
There is no mention of CAP training for ROTP though.

You do CAP following your second year, that being your third summer.

Thanks so much kincanuck! 

How are all those steps (BOTC, SLT, CAP, Phase 3 and 4) spread out for DEO candidates?

Are they run consecutively or are there (a month..6 months..year?) in between.  I am not trying to be a pain but I have a family of five I support and planning for when and for how long I will be away from home is very important.

hoote said:
Thanks so much kincanuck!  

How are all those steps (BOTC, SLT, CAP, Phase 3 and 4) spread out for DEO candidates?

Are they run consecutively or are there (a month..6 months..year?) in between.   I am not trying to be a pain but I have a family of five I support and planning for when and for how long I will be away from home is very important.

IAP/BOTP - 14 weeks than SLT up to 33 weeks then your Phases.  DEO training after IAP/BOTP and SLT can vary but is suppose to happen as soon as possible afterwards.  I did BOTC Sept to Dec then SLT from Jan to Jun then I had to wait six months for occupation training so who knows because there is really no set plan on it is suppose to happen.

jwsteele said:
I understand that it's the same as Civi-U, but because of their location and academic envrionment, they are able to carry out some training during the school year that Civi-U students cannot.   I hear RMC students recieve their commission upon graduation whereas Civi-U students have a bunch of training post-graduation to complete and recieve thier commission later.  

That depends on whether you're finished BOTC by the time you graduate (you likely should be). All that's necessary for a commission is IAP (unless you get a bypass due to past training), BOTC, and a degree. I've got IAP/BOTC and a bit of SLT and I should be getting my commission after I graduate, before I go off to CAP.

Kinkanucks - just a question in case you may know - do you know what the start dates are for next summer's CAP course?

Glorified Ape said:
That depends on whether you're finished BOTC by the time you graduate (you likely should be). All that's necessary for a commission is IAP (unless you get a bypass due to past training), BOTC, and a degree. I've got IAP/BOTC and a bit of SLT and I should be getting my commission after I graduate, before I go off to CAP.

Kinkanucks - just a question in case you may know - do you know what the start dates are for next summer's CAP course?

Sorry no but you might want to check the training websites in Gagetown for more info.

Back