• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

I Have been looking to join for a long time now.... How likely is it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Splex

Inactive
Reaction score
Thank you for anyone that takes the time to read and answer my concerns.  I have always known i want to join the army "Fulltime" when looking at job finder, the one that best fits me mentally is infantry soldier, For awhile i always put myself down because of my size and weight... but for the last year have been trying to focus on joining.. so my concerns are

1. I am 6'8 300LBS..... Does the basic psysical test change for someone my size? ... in all reality, is there a place for someone my size in the army? ... 300 LBS may seem like completly obese, but my height evens it out slightly, i am not completly out of shape.

I can do the 19 sit ups with ease... no problem can do them endless amount, But being my size doing Pushups are slightly harder and can't seem to train myself into getting better... and chinups are Impossible for mysize....

I am currently working on running everyday, my cousin is in the army and she says they LOVE to run, i know i am mentally ready... but how psysically ready should i be? is there exceptions for "bigger" people?

Extra qustion, if you feel you have the time to answer, my girlfriend is worried about our lifes and times, is it possible to live a normal life and have a familey working fulltime in the army?

Splex said:
Does the basic psysical test change for someone my size?

No.

But being my size doing Pushups are slightly harder and can't seem to train myself into getting better... and chinups are Impossible for mysize....

Better start working on changing that then.

is there exceptions for "bigger" people?

No.

Ok, i only asked because.. i talked live chat on the website and he had told me yes... it diden't hit me intill i had got off the chat that he had said yes and i forgot to ask, how it changed.

Splex said:
Thank you for anyone that takes the time to read and answer my concerns.  I have always known i want to join the army "Fulltime" when looking at job finder, the one that best fits me mentally is infantry soldier, For awhile i always put myself down because of my size and weight... but for the last year have been trying to focus on joining.. so my concerns are

1. I am 6'8 300LBS..... Does the basic psysical test change for someone my size? ... in all reality, is there a place for someone my size in the army? ... 300 LBS may seem like completly obese, but my height evens it out slightly, i am not completly out of shape.

I can do the 19 sit ups with ease... no problem can do them endless amount, But being my size doing Pushups are slightly harder and can't seem to train myself into getting better... and chinups are Impossible for mysize....

I am currently working on running everyday, my cousin is in the army and she says they LOVE to run, i know i am mentally ready... but how psysically ready should i be? is there exceptions for "bigger" people?

Extra qustion, if you feel you have the time to answer, my girlfriend is worried about our lifes and times, is it possible to live a normal life and have a familey working fulltime in the army?

All the standards are the same for everybody.  I can't really comment on the family life, as I'm a reservist. However I've heard it can be balanced quite well.

Well if I was with in the Infantry I would put you on point then you could protect everyone behind you.  Seriously, as the Great Cdn Aviator has posted there are exceptions and get to work on your physical fitness and get yourself in peak condition before you apply.  Also do some searching on this wonderful site before you post anymore questions.  With a little work you can find the answers to many questions.  Good Luck.

The standards, at least for the Express Test, are adjusted as you age not as you grow.

Oh and something eles i wanted to ask, i have been playing war games since i was 13... does that count for anything? i still play call of duty, and i am amazing =D I only ask because i read somewhere, that the american army was recruiting people from video games.....

Splex said:

Thousands of people live a normal life every day, just fine. I even manage to be a single parent with 2 kids and have a normal life too........

Splex said:
Oh and something eles i wanted to ask, i have been playing war games since i was 13... does that count for anything? i still play call of duty, and i am amazing =D I only ask because i read somewhere, that the american army was recruiting people from video games.....

No.

Splex said:
i still play call of duty, and i am amazing =

Oh yes indeed. You can skip the regular infantry stuff and go straight to SF............Just dont forget to submit your CoD rank and kill numbers to the CFRC.

CDN Aviator said:
Oh yes indeed. You can skip the regular infantry stuff and go straight to SF............Just dont forget to submit your CoD rank and kill numbers to the CFRC.

If only...................  :nod:

Splex said:
If only...................  :nod:

If you honestly think that being good at CoD makes you anything more than a kid with too much time on his hands, you need to have your brain housing group examined.

If you ever won a counter-strike tournament, you can go JTF2 right away

CDN Aviator said:
If you honestly think that being good at CoD makes you anything more than a kid with too much time on his hands, you need to have your brain housing group examined.

No i honestly diden't think this... but as i was reading i could slightly understand.... Hand eye cordination, bouncing flash bangs off walls, reacting in situations, following orders, team work... quick thinking, it got me thinking, maybe playing video games for 10 years might pay off =D

Splex said:
maybe playing video games for 10 years might pay off =D

Running, doing pushups and chinups for 10 years would have paid off.......

Hand eye cordination, bouncing flash bangs off walls, reacting in situations, following orders, team work...

::)

Stacked said:
I disagree thatbeing good at video games has any DIRECT impact on the military, but I do agree that it does develop skills that can be used elsewhere as the OP stated. Team work, reaction, quick thinking, hand-eye coordination, etc.

Those skills, if attained, are without any of the real-world social integration benefits that comes from developing those attributes in sports or other activities that don't take place in front of a computer.  The marginal benefits of some types of video games may help to complement a well-rounded candidate's skills and attributes - but they do not stand alone to make the candidate a better prospect and are not necessarily worthy of a resume entry in their own right. Nor does developing those skills within the context of a video game provide any indication that they are transferable to the real world.

Michael O'Leary said:
Those skills, if attained, are without any of the real-world social integration benefits that comes from developing those attributes in sports or other activities that don't take place in front of a computer.  The marginal benefits of some types of video games may help to complement a well-rounded candidate's skills and attributes - but they do not stand alone to make the candidate a better prospect and are not necessarily worthy of a resume entry in their own right. Nor does developing those skills within the context of a video game provide any indication that they are transferable to the real world.

I disagree with you, and i think MANY will disagree with you.... From playing video games, i have earned skills that i have listed, hand-eye cord, team work, the abilitly to think quickly and react quickly in MANY and different situations, team work and most importantlly patients... I am not saying, the army should or will ever use something like this on an application, but i do strongly think it builds above average skills that could eventually become usefull in later situations that the army presents... and apprently the american army does use this as an advantage and recruits people from video as obserd as it sounds.

Splex said:
I am not saying, the army should or will ever use something like this on an application,

Regardless of what you think the benefits are, this is the point.

Video games have been around long enough that if comprehensive background experience in them would set candidates apart on any military course or in any military trade with consistency, it would have been identified by now.

Ya awesome...you play video games and that has made you a good team player.  Does that help you run in 60lbs of gear in the Afghan heat?  If the answer is no then I don't want to work with you.....simple as that

Splex said:
the american army does use this as an advantage and recruits people from video as obserd as it sounds.

The US Army tried to use young privates who had spent many years playing video games and flight sims to fly UAVs, thinking exactly as you did. The program was a complete disaster.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back