• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

I have a quick question about doing a re-write.

Rcmpwarrior

Inactive
Reaction score
Just wondering how long it took others to get a call back for a re-write. Me and my recruiter wrote a letter (i forget the department it was 3-4 months ago) i did get several tutoring sessions, he told me in a month if i didn't hear anything call him, so i did and he doesnt know why it's taking so long, another question in a question, should i call him again to re-send the letter

It would help others to answer your question if you could provide more clarity. What "re-write" and what "letter" are you talking about?

my apologies, yes it is the CFAT, my recruiter told me i had to write a letter stating what i did to pre-pare for the next test

First off, three months must have elapsed since you took the first test and secondly, you have to be able to demonstrate that, should you be granted a re-write, your second set of results will be an improvment over the first.  Approval for an initial re-write is at the discretion of the local UPSO at the CFRC.

Keep in mind, that the scores from the "most recent" CFAT are what is used, so if you happen to end up with a lower score the second time around, that is what is used.

DAA said:
First off, three months must have elapsed since you took the first test and secondly, you have to be able to demonstrate that, should you be granted a re-write, your second set of results will be an improvement over the first.  Approval for an initial re-write is at the discretion of the local UPSO at the CFRC.

Keep in mind, that the scores from the "most recent" CFAT are what is used, so if you happen to end up with a lower score the second time around, that is what is used.

The point about the most recent Test score is extremely important.  Do not re-write it if your not ready to.  I know wanting to get in there quick and do it again feels right, but upgrade, study, do practice tests, take night classes and do it right.

The_Green_Basterd said:
The point about the most recent Test score is extremely important.  Do not re-write it if your not ready to.  I know wanting to get in there quick and do it again feels right, but upgrade, study, do practice tests, take night classes and do it right.

Do not take Greens post lightly.

If you take it again (a second time) , and do not meet the standard for your chosen trade, it will be VERY tough to convince the CF that you should be given a third chance. If the door is not opening for you do not break it down out of stupidity or impatience.  If the CF believes that you've done enough to receive a rewrite, that is good news. At the end of the day, you also need to evaluate it yourself based on your previous experiences with it. Go with your gut.

My chosen trade was a vehicle technician , i am going to school right now to become a automotive technician, i did like the mobile support trade, but my eye sight isn't good enough for that, but it is good enough for a vehicle tech. I'm looking into laser eye surgery. One last thing it's been almost a year since i last wrote the aptitude test, and it's been almost 5 months since me and the recruiter mailed off the letter.

T-Bird said:
Just wondering how long it took others to get a call back for a re-write. Me and my recruiter wrote a letter (i forget the department it was 3-4 months ago) i did get several tutoring sessions, he told me in a month if i didn't hear anything call him, so i did and he doesnt know why it's taking so long, another question in a question, should i call him again to re-send the letter

T-Bird said:
...it's been almost 5 months since me and the recruiter mailed off the letter.

I would definitely call your file manager back to see what the best step forward would be in terms of figuring out what the delay is and/or whether you've been approved to re-test.  If you have been, yes, please do follow the advice that others suggested of making sure you are 100% ready to re-write. Are you absolutely positive you can perform better at this time?  It's better to take the time and feel confident in your ability to score well.

BeyondTheNow said:
I would definitely call your file manager back to see what the best step forward would be in terms of figuring out what the delay is and/or whether you've been approved to re-test.  If you have been, yes, please do follow the advice that others suggested of making sure you are 100% ready to re-write. Are you absolutely positive you can perform better at this time?  It's better to take the time and feel confident in your ability to score well.

To be honest, as of right now i don't think i could, 5 months ago when i sent off the letter i felt more than ready i was studying math everyday, but if i do get the call, i am going to go back to studying every night to prepare myself

T-Bird said:
To be honest, as of right now i don't think i could, 5 months ago when i sent off the letter i felt more than ready i was studying math everyday, but if i do get the call, i am going to go back to studying every night to prepare myself

Personally speaking, the fact that you can acknowledge to yourself that you're not ready right now is awesome.  In my own life there have been times (non CF-related) where my ego has taken precedence over my common sense and I've ended up blowing or significantly delaying the goals I had set out to achieve.

If at all possible, don't wait until you have confirmation to refresh.  Do a little as often as you can, have a schedule you know you can stick to (i.e. 1-2hrs 3-4 times a week or whatever best suits your life-style at this time).  In my opinion, it's better to have a solid grasp on the subject that has been slowly retained and can be applied calmly and confidently when your nerves might have the best of you (i.e. the test), rather than to cram as hard as you can in whatever time-frame they've given you.  (There's a possibility you could find out you're eligible, then learn that your test date is only a couple of weeks away)  I'm sure you know that work, family, etc. can take over at times and before you know it, that time frame is over.

As well, if unfortunate news arises that you can't re-write, at least you know you've significantly improved in an area that will be beneficial to future endeavours.  Best of luck!

BeyondTheNow said:
Personally speaking, the fact that you can acknowledge to yourself that you're not ready right now is awesome.  In my own life there have been times (non CF-related) where my ego has taken precedence over my common sense and I've ended up blowing or significantly delaying the goals I had set out to achieve.

If at all possible, don't wait until you have confirmation to refresh.  Do a little as often as you can, have a schedule you know you can stick to (i.e. 1-2hrs 3-4 times a week or whatever best suits your life-style at this time).  In my opinion, it's better to have a solid grasp on the subject that has been slowly retained and can be applied calmly and confidently when your nerves might have the best of you (i.e. the test), rather than to cram as hard as you can in whatever time-frame they've given you.  (There's a possibility you could find out you're eligible, then learn that your test date is only a couple of weeks away)  I'm sure you know that work, family, etc. can take over at times and before you know it, that time frame is over.

As well, if unfortunate news arises that you can't re-write, at least you know you've significantly improved in an area that will be beneficial to future endeavours.  Best of luck!

I'm going to take your advice, math is always a important skill even in my trade (out side of the CF) you can't always use a calculator back to mental math! Thanks for all your help!

A suggestion I have is to compile some study reference material so that instead of studying forever, you  can pull and review that material on demand.  Also, when u get the call to do your rewrite, I would request adate at least 2 weeks out or more, depending on how much time u need to comfortably review that material.  I am curious which recruiting centre you are dealing with?

:goodpost:

That is exactly what I did. But in those two weeks leading up to it I gave it my all 6+ hours a day. My attitude was simply "If this is going to be my last shot, I might as well overkill it" .

I qualified on the CFAT for every trade in the CF.  Doesn't mean I will be successful at all of them, but it's nice to have a choice if the demand permits. :)

Back