• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

I have a few questions for you fine gentlemen and/or gentlewomen

Wason

Inactive
Reaction score
I'm 18 and looking to join the Canadian Army Reserves this summer.
First off: When's the deadline to apply/get my medical done/etc? I know I should do it as soon as possible but when is the final deadline for getting that all done with so I can go to basic in the summer?
Second off: I got an offer from UBC to study abroad in England for a year. If I joined the Reserves how will this work? Would I join an English squad or are there Canadian squads near Sussex, England?
Third off: What does the medical consist of? Just a basic physical and piss test for drugs or do they get really in depth with everything? Not to say I have a phobia against doctors but I'd still like to know.

Hi Wason, if you try a search in the recruiting forum, you'll probably find all of your questions have been answered a couple of times already.  If not, I'm sure a friendly mod will point you in the right direction fairly soon.

With regards to the final deadline for applications, it's a rolling admission, so there is no real deadline, per se.  If you're looking for summer work, you may already be too late, as, depending on a whole lot of variables, the recruiting process can go fairly quickly, or take a long time.

Good hunting,

DF

Wason said:
I'm 18 and looking to join the Canadian Army Reserves this summer.
First off: When's the deadline to apply/get my medical done/etc? I know I should do it as soon as possible but when is the final deadline for getting that all done with so I can go to basic in the summer?
Second off: I got an offer from UBC to study abroad in England for a year. If I joined the Reserves how will this work? Would I join an English squad or are there Canadian squads near Sussex, England?
Third off: What does the medical consist of? Just a basic physical and piss test for drugs or do they get really in depth with everything? Not to say I have a phobia against doctors but I'd still like to know.

There are no Canadian Units stationed in the UK.  My advice would be to take the oppurtunity to study abroad, and join when you get back.  We're not going anywhere, and we'll be here when you get back. 

Jaydub said:
There are no Canadian Units stationed in the UK.  My advice would be to take the opportunity to study abroad, and join when you get back.  We're not going anywhere, and we'll be here when you get back. 

Not to be contrary or argumentative (it could happen  ;) ).....I'd join up right now, and get your trades training complete before you go. It's relatively easy to organize an attachment to an allied unit if it's an ABCA country (Canada being the C; Britain being the B).

You'll bring back more experiences and adventures than if you went over as a civie (fish & chips, curry, and Boddingtons will be the same, civie or military)

Jaydub said:
There are no Canadian Units stationed in the UK.  My advice would be to take the opportunity to study abroad, and join when you get back.  We're not going anywhere, and we'll be here when you get back. 

Journeyman said:
Not to be contrary or argumentative (it could happen  ;) ).....I'd join up right now, and get your trades training complete before you go. It's relatively easy to organize an attachment to an allied unit if it's an ABCA country (Canada being the C; Britain being the B).

You'll bring back more experiences and adventures than if you went over as a civie (fish & chips, curry, and Boddingtons will be the same, civie or military)

Not to mention the Security Clearance problems/delays you will face if you leave the country and return year(s) later.

Yikes, You are right there. Sec/Clear is sucha  huge pain right now. Keeping your life as simple as possible seems to save a lot of headaches. Good Luck in what ever you choose.

Back