• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

I.E.D Vehicle Explosion prevention Design

Status
Not open for further replies.

CesarNostradamus

Banned
Banned
Inactive
Reaction score
I drew this design in hopes someone with the mechanical capabilites to test such an idea. It may prove worthy enough.

diagrameid.jpg

Google is your friend.

The RG-31 will be my friend.

Boat-shaped hulls have been around for quite some time, generally with an aggressively angled underside. The South Africans are widely regarded as a very active participant in the design of initially mine resistant, and then IED resistant vehicles. We've been using the RG-31 in Afghanistan for a while now because of exactly this design characteristic.

Your particular design would be far from adequate; most IEDs do not explode directly under a vehicle, but instead are offset, or under a wheel, or even fired from well off to the side. There are a numbers of vehicles in use that are designed to mitigate the greatest IED threat profiles, which make great use of materials and geometry to at least somewhat deflect blasts such that they do not penetrate the hull of the vehicle. Moreover, your design would greatly affect the ground clearance, with severe ramifications for off road usage.

Cesar,
I see the front and back of your vehicle are the same shape.
Does that mean that you can get out of trouble as quickly as you got into it?

A Hummer and a Hummer with a smile - nice work.  I bet you make nice shadow puppets and balloon animals, as well.

Aww, Everyone is picking on me except Brihard.. Thank you. Even though i dont know much about things, like I.E.D's.. I was still on the right track wasnt I? I atleast understood some aspects that you agreed on about the sloped bottoms of vehicles..

Also it was just a ruff design, simply indicating that its purpose would work.

Even then. The hummer looks like a pretty bad design. And i believe that vehicles need to quickly adapt in anymeans necissary to counter attack its enemies. If there war is with I.E.D's as well,. you need to have the greatest advantage of not getting into this predictiments.

CesarNostradamus said:
I drew this design in hopes someone with the mechanical capabilites to test such an idea. It may prove worthy enough.

diagrameid.jpg

I am sure your enthusiasm is appreciated, and many are just giving you some 'tongue in cheek'.

The V shaped hull works effectively with IEDs such as arty/rockets/mortars/HME etc, plus mines detonated in other ways then designed, but EFPs are a different story. V shaped hulls do little or nothing to prevent penetration from the molten copper slugs.

Plenty of V shaped hulls on vehicles already in service, which are combat proven.

As for the HUMVEE, it is a soft skinned 'jeep' in the system for 25 yrs, which has been recently uparmoured, almost in a interim way until something else comes through. The US are looking at different designs currently.

I worked along side various US Units in Baghdad, and seen the armour evolve, along with the crude but effective Rhino 'heat magnet' which creates a heat source out fron front of the Hummer for infrared devices used to detonate IEDs/EFPs. No OPSEC here  ;).

IEDs and EFPs are two different things

Cheers,

Wes

PErsonally. I dont beleive in War. And i dont beleive in Killing PERIOD.

The only reason why ive come to you is becuase i care what will happen come the coming YEARS.
And what you may endevor now, will soon come to an even larger and deadlier situation.

CesarNostradamus said:
well you have the option to ban me.

Wow, if only I could be promoted to a mod for all of ten seconds so I could have the honours...

Before this turns into another disaster

Milnet.ca staff

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back