• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Hunters & Fishermen (fisher-people)

muskrat89

Staff member
Directing Staff
Inactive
Reaction score
I guess the old thread got lost in the crash...

Growing up in NB, hunters often focused on "the moose draw". Well here, almost everything is done by draw, and odds seem to get a little worse, every year.

This is the time of year for the fall draw. I just put in for elk, mule deer, whitetail (Coues), antelope, and bighorn sheep. I passed on bison, because I couldn‘t afford the tag if I did get drawn!! The only one I‘m really hoping for is elk - that will be a first, for me...

Not being nasty, but Bison is free up here.

PS- it is REALLY tasty.. :)

Cheers-Garry

We have 2 wild herds here. You are allowed one tag per lifetime (if you get drawn). A tag for residents is $755

Just had a client and his lady friend get back from a spring bear hunt in Alberta. They were a little north of Ft. McMurray. Between 2 of them they got 3 bears. One was a big ol boy - they were bowhunting - he‘ll make Pope & Young...

This may sound like a strange question, but what do you do with the meat? I‘d love to go hunting but what am I supposed to do with 200lbs of deer meat?

Well, first off.. you generally wouldn‘t get that much deer meat, although there are a few bruisers around that might come close to that....

You eat it! Wild meat tastes great, and generally is healthier!

Is throwing a hatchet at an animal, like a deer, legal?

andy - You need to stop typing for awhile, and read more. This is not a suggestion. Newcomers are more readily accepted when they watch for awhile, so as to gauge the nature of people‘s responses.....

In regards to your question, I can‘t discern whether you are very young, trying to be a smartie-pants, or simply number than a hammered thumb. To give you the benefit of the doubt - legal hunting weapons vary based on Provincial or State regulations. That being said, it would be unethical and impractical to throw a hatchet at any animal, legal or not.

Well its not my question. its my dumb cousins. he keeps asking to post a ton of stuff when all i wanted to do here is read not post. its my cousins question. not mine. but i dont get why you would want to throw an axe anyway. rifles work better.

Any more dumb questions, and your cousin is getting banned (and you along with him)

Final warning

I kinda like his questions...if only for the responses. ....."number than a hammered thumb"...priceless!

May I use it?

:)

"I passed on bison, because I couldn‘t afford the tag if I did get drawn!!"

That‘s all I eat now,nothing like a good Buf burger,steak or roast. ;)
Cost‘s a little more than beef but worth the money.
Game meat does taste better but some don‘t like it.

Andy, if you just wanted to read the posts, and not respond, why subscribe, the board does not make people subscribe just to read the posts.

And if it was your "cousin‘s" question, why would you post it, tell him to get his own account and get banned himself. Wait, on second thought, don‘t, we already have too mant bozos on this site.

It‘s guys like you, like muskrat said, that give the rest of the new posters a bad rap.

One of my clients just got back from Garry's neck of the woods. Tink Nathan and his lady friend were after some bears. (The hard core hunters have probably heard of Tink's #69 Deer Lure) Anyway, Tink arrowed 2, and one was a hog, for sure. His lady friend got one with a rifle.

Tink.bmp

That is one HECK of a bear- nice size for a black!

and people wonder why I throw a 12 gauge over my shoulder when I walk the dogs.........LOL. #1 way of meeting a bear is having a dog run home to papa with a new "friend" chasing it!

very nice trophy, and tell Tink next time he's up to stop by for a coffee!

Cheers-Garry

muskrat89 said:
Well, first off.. you generally wouldn't get that much deer meat, although there are a few bruisers around that might come close to that....

I got a mule deer last fall with my dad, it was quite the monster.  We figured it weighed about 350 +- lbs.  After it was skinned and hanged for about a week, we cut it up and measured all the quaters, it came to about 280 lbs of meat.  It was the biggest bodied deer I have even seen, it alone took about an 1hr to just get in on our ATV to bring it out of the bush. We had to use the winch on the front of the atv to winch it up in a tree to get it off the grounda bit; but yet, we still struggled for a good amount of time getting it on there ( the deer was pulling the atv off the ground).  Anyways, my family owns a Taxidermy business in Smithers BC, so my dad can mount the deer lifesize with no problems, except the fact that we can't find a deer manikin large enough to fit it!  The deer has the measurements of a caribou to some points...  yes it is that big.  It was a 30 inch spread rack, 4 point.  I don't have a pic of it with me, but I'll get one.

And that is ONE HUGE black bear.  Do you know the skull measurements?  22" or so I presume.  must be a 7 to 8 foot bear.

Sundborg - hey - where's the pic of that big toad? I'd love to see that!

Bear skull - not sure - its still in a deep freeze, 90 miles north of Ft. McMurray, and hasn't been measured yet. They're pretty confident it will make Pope & Young recordbook. His lady friend's bear will probably make SCI recordbook.

I just can't believe you actually posted "fisher-people". Don't tell me the PC bug got you too!!!

I remember one night in Pet walking from the Warehouse back to my tent on the Mattawa, and being half-sober enough to realize I was a walking black bear snack about the point I walked by the entrance to the biathalon range/course. I promptly started to diddy-mow with that thought. LMFAO

I just can't believe you actually posted "fisher-people". Don't tell me the PC bug got you too!!!

Admittedly, it was just a little tongue-in-cheek  8)

I recall an exercise, CFBG - Airstrip #3, I believe.. one of the lads passing through the wagon lines one night bumps a bear along the trail. Being a city-boy, he turned and ran a 100 yard dash, in record time. Only problem was, he only went about 30 yards, until he ran into the side of an MLVW and dislocated his shoulder  muhahahahahahaha

muskrat89 said:
Sundborg - hey - where's the pic of that big toad? I'd love to see that

I'll have to get the pics sent to me, and when I do, I"ll post them.

Back