• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

How badly will this affect my application?

jonsey

Inactive
Reaction score
Ok, I just finished school for the year. However, the program I was in (Software Engineering) ended up not being what I was looking for. So, I ended up losing interest, and I did poorly (I failed a course that was mandatory to progress into the next semester, and the others wern‘t much better). Before I saw my marks, I decided that this program wasn‘t what I wanted to do.

The thing is, is I did the same thing last year (2002-2003 Academic Year) in another program, woodworking.

I‘ve come to realize that I have no idea what I want to do, so I‘m planning on taking a year off. to figure out what I want to do.

Anyways. Yeah, I‘ve performed poorly in my academic studies. I‘m planning on joining the Reserves, most likely Infantry (Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders). How much will my marks negatively affect my application?

You‘ve completed high school???
Your good to go as far as grades are concerned. I didn‘t finish high school, I went to college for a year as a mature student and I am good to go. You probably have nothing to worry about as far as that goes

Have you passed grade ten? Because thats all you need. Unless you are thinking of going Ossifer (officer). Believe it or not you need a little more then grade 10 for some reason to become an "O". And remember, you can‘t spell LOST without Lt.

Yes, I graduated (Mom would have killed me otherwise). So, it shouldn‘t make much of a problem? It wont reflect badly on my work attitude?

Which transcript should I give them, High School, or this last year of College?

All they need is highschool. Don‘t worry. I bunch of guys in the regt quit their first course they took in college or university. It‘s no biggie. I myself quit the first course I took in college because I hated it.

I applied for the reserves and during my interview I was told that I have to send in a post secondary transcript and was asked my current GPA. So, even they they only require grade 10, they still look at your marks, perhaps to look at your character(hard worker, dedicated, motivated). I doubt it will effect your getting in though. But be prepared to answer questions about it in the interview, good luck!

Back