• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

HMCS Huron To Be Sunk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ljealexander said:
Microsoft Virtual Earth  has an interesting view of what I presume to be the HMCS Huron in Esquimalt prior to its sinking.

http://dev.live.com/virtualearth/sdk/

Unfortunately I don't know how to post a screen print.  It was on the west side of the Harbour just NW of the Fisguard light house. Use the Birdseye view.

Enjoy.

LA

Not her, that is ANNAPOLIS who will be sunk as a dive reef up near Squamish in the near future. I think Huron was located at C1 (Horseshoe like jetty, she is on the west face). By the look of the construction around FMF this was taken when the majority of the fleet was away during OP APOLLO.

Not her, that is ANNAPOLIS who will be sunk as a dive reef up near Squamish in the near future. I think Huron was located at C1 (Horseshoe like jetty, she is on the west face). By the look of the construction around FMF this was taken when the majority of the fleet was away during OP APOLLO.

The birds eye views and the aerial views are from different times but both shots are are of the Annapolis.  The aerial views is deffinitly older than the birds eye as the naval graving dock is empty in the aerial and Victoria is in the dock in the birds eye under all the white covering.  which means it is from the last couple of years.

the deck gun Algonguin had was part of Huron main armament, meaning she was sank by one of her own guns,, can you guys a cheap shot, big time.. It's so not fair that her sister got to take a few punches at her..
NIKKI

Hopefully this is a sucessful attempt to post the screen print from my computer. Sorry, I'm not terribly up to date on Google Earth/ MS Virtual Earth.

That is the Huron alright.

Ya i thing it is her.. But the deck gun Algonguin had was part of Huron main armament, meaning she was sank by one of her own guns,, can you guys a cheap shot, big time.. It was so not fair that her twin sister got to take a few shots at her..

Its pretty common for the Navy to switch out gear with other ships so its not a big thing....

Algonquin was the first to go through TRUMP. It's not surprising she traded in her SRGM for one that was a lot less worn, even if it was Huron's.

Guys it was still a chaep shot ok.  yoounger Sister Vs. her older Sister, not even fair.. Even if it was just an Exercise, It was still a cheap shot, like it or not.. :).  Not trying to get any one made at me ok That's Just the way i see it ok.
NIKKI

NASAAN101 said:
Guys it was still a chaep shot ok.  yoounger Sister Vs. her older Sister, not even fair.. Even if it was just an Exercise, It was still a cheap shot, like it or not.. :).  Not trying to get any one made at me ok That's Just the way i see it ok.
NIKKI
Ummmm okayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy..................

Guys, Look my feeling is that they sould have left her sister out of this.. that my olny point ok..
NIKKI

Ok Nikki..... we've figured that out from your series of posts......

Nikki..the crew of the Algonquin gained valuable training from the exercise in sinking the Huron. while it was sad to see her go down. The valuable training and data collected will help save lives and enable us to build better ships.

Guys, i'm not sayind it didnt. All i'm saying is how can two ships that are sisters got at it with eachother, that's all i'm saying ok..
NIKKI

NASAAN101 said:
Guys, i'm not sayind it didnt. All i'm saying is how can two ships that are sisters got at it with eachother, that's all i'm saying ok..
NIKKI

Thats easy..the government declared Huron surplus and no longer needed and it was sunk. One of the ships involved was of the same class, believe me I don't think Hron and Algonquin minded. This kind of thing happens with navies.

Its done, its over with and it will happen again. get over it.

Ex-Dragoon ,
i'm not saying i'm mad i thing it was, king of neat, but the only thing that made feel bad was her beening sunk in the first place, what were her chance of becoming a muscue ship?, eighter there or here in the US?
NIKKI

It would be pretty hard to make her a museum ship when there are still 3 other TRUMPs in commission. Her systems were required for spares, and it would be a pretty boring tour without them.

Guys,
Where is Algonquin now, is she still in the picafic, or were is she..
NIKKI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back