• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Height TO Weight Ratio

StevenPeece

Inactive
Reaction score
Now this one is always a funny one in my book.  Yesterday I had a height & weight assessment done whilst passing an NHS stall in the town centre.  The result was that I was overweight!!  I'm 5ft 11" and I  weigh 14 stones and can pinch an inch around my waist.  Remembering, of course, that muscle is heavier that fat.  Even the girl who did the test grinned broadly with the result.  She gave me a list of things with a calorie count on them and I complained because it didn't mention beer!!

I remember once going to the doctors during my service to pick a prescription up for my mother.  The height and weight ratio calculators had just come out then and the doctor ran the test by me.  The result, even back then, was that I was over weight and the doctor just smiled and told me that the test was a pile of sh*te, just before he threw the weight calculator into the bin.  LOL.

After this test, I walked further down the shopping mall and gazed at the many passers-by, thinking to myself, "I bet when half of these fat bassards pass the chemist, the weighing machine runs in and locks the doors."!!!

Cheers

Steve

Steve,

I've never trusted those body-mass indices for determining health.  According to my placement on the BMI I've been dead several years already. 

In the three years since I retired I've put on fifty pounds.  In my late 20's I had a BF test that showed I had a body fat content of 13 per cent.  If I knew I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself.

Dan

According to BMI I am slightly overweight (5'4" and 147lbs).  I don't have a small frame, but anyone who knows me/has seen me would say I'm anything BUT overweight.  Mind you, I've always been interested in going through the tests to see what my body fat % is...not those stupid scales that measure % body fat, but an accurate measurement (displacement in water or pincers).

Guys:  Yes it appears the height to weight ratio technique is a load of bollix.

I'm pleased about that.  Following the test I'd planned on cutting down on my weekend boozing.  Buy hey come on!!!

Some things are just not worth it!!! ;D

Cheers

Steve

Height to weight works about as well as the old "if your hand is bigger than your face you have cancer." It's not a reliable tool for people who have a decent amount of muscle mass.

MedTechStudent said:
"Bollocks" -Anglo-Saxon word for "testicles"....now a noun used in the English language to mean "nonsense."
;D ;)
Bollix is also in the English Dictionary and means the same, but is an alternative spelling.  All a load of "Balls" really, a bit like the Height to Weight Ratio Test!!

Cheers

Steve

Back