• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Have you heard of the "Take back Canada" protests?

KeLouJoH

Reaction score
You can see their website here: Home | Take Back Canada

To see what they are, and what they are not. I emphasize the latter because I can already hear people throwing out names like racist, xenophobic...etc, which this movement definitely is not. In fact, they stated in their mission statement that they want to destigmatize the conversation around mass immigration. Which I think is admirable and very much needed. Right now, anybody who speaks up against mass immigrant, even if he is himself a racial minority or an immigrant, he gets called nasty names and he gets shouted down, which was sort of expected years ago given how politically correct and racially sensitive our society was. But now, I believe a different approach is required. The immigration situation has gotten out of hand, there are housing crises in major cities all over the country, people can't even afford to rent, much less to buy properties, young people are afraid to start a family due to financial insecurity, mass immigrants drive down wages and take jobs from people who were born here, our healthcare system is bursting at the seams, and it's all because the government keeps letting too many immigrants. I can honestly tell you that I am an immigrant myself and even I can see that this country's immigration policies are not sustainable. I feel that Canada is headed on a path of destruction.

Your thoughts?

I would have to know who the organizers behind this are before I could make an informed opinion. I'm generally not a fan of protests of any kind.

You piqued my curiosity, so I dug a bit. Appears to be a mostly one-man show by some dude named Ethan Duggan. Looks like he is or recently was in university in the GTA, I think in the tech field, so he presumably has a real life he's working towards outside of the internet. Not a lot of obvious social media presence before a bit over a year ago, though I didn't do any deep dive. Looks like he tried to get a bunch of mass protests going back on Canada Day and it mostly flopped. He's pushing his group on a bunch of different social media sites, but it doesn't really look to have caught on much. Most of the presence I can find is pretty mild in tone, which seems to be a turn off to some of thsoe who do respond to them- as soon as you start speaking on the subjects he's pushing, you quickly attract some, uh... Interesting individuals.

Maybe he'll get a bit edgier and start attracting some attention and real following, but I'd lean towards 'flash in the pan' unless he turns more radical. He seems like he's trying to balance this movement with not trying to screw himself over in real life / career prospects etc. From what I've seen of the crowd that gets really motivated for this stuff, he's probably not going to be spicy enough for them to muckle on to. Maybe I'm wrong; I've been before.

You piqued my curiosity, so I dug a bit. Appears to be a mostly one-man show by some dude named Ethan Duggan. Looks like he is or recently was in university in the GTA, I think in the tech field, so he presumably has a real life he's working towards outside of the internet. Not a lot of obvious social media presence before a bit over a year ago, though I didn't do any deep dive. Looks like he tried to get a bunch of mass protests going back on Canada Day and it mostly flopped. He's pushing his group on a bunch of different social media sites, but it doesn't really look to have caught on much. Most of the presence I can find is pretty mild in tone, which seems to be a turn off to some of thsoe who do respond to them- as soon as you start speaking on the subjects he's pushing, you quickly attract some, uh... Interesting individuals.

Maybe he'll get a bit edgier and start attracting some attention and real following, but I'd lean towards 'flash in the pan' unless he turns more radical. He seems like he's trying to balance this movement with not trying to screw himself over in real life / career prospects etc. From what I've seen of the crowd that gets really motivated for this stuff, he's probably not going to be spicy enough for them to muckle on to. Maybe I'm wrong; I've been before.
Wants to be a Socially Respectable™ camouflage or umbrella organization for the actual radicals, whether as a committed ideologue or for convenient fleecing?

Mild salsa with ghost peppers in the taco.

Back