• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Gunner Palace -Documentry on the war in Iraq

2023 said:
I can't help but bite back at this one.

If you hide the "Retards and social rejects" from the cameras, why are they in your unit??? I am sure that the "Retards and social rejects" are just as proud to be in your unit as you are.  If  you don't want them to give discredit to your unit, get rid of them. If you can't, I argue that they are not "Retards and social rejects". Maybe the problem is from within????

Eh...I'm not sure how you handle it in the regs, but in the reserves it's damn near impossible to get rid of someone.  Either that or the senior leadership doesn't have the willpower, and the junior leadership doesn't know how :)  Either way, it always seems like the most gung-ho troops we get are always the ones to leave within a year or two, while the guys who can't dress themselves without two privates helping and a Sgt. supervising are the ones who stick around for the next decade.

Clément Barbeau Vermet said:
I have seen it on discovery military channel two. I prefer ''Over There''.

"Gunner's Palace" is a factual documentary, "Over There" is a fictional drama... I don't really see the comparison.

Just a Sig Op said:
"Gunner's Palace" is a factual documentary, "Over There" is a fictional drama... I don't really see the comparison.

Well...I know, but ''Over There'' is certainly not as fictional as ''Save Private Ryan'', for example.

Just a Sig Op said:
No, I'd say it's probably more.
Wy? I always thought sending a squad to safe one single soldier was the perfect example of Hollywood not knowing a lot on war but knowing it is going to touch the auditory...snif...

I just got back from Iraq a few months ago where I commanded a NG mech inf BN.  Gunner's Palace is pretty good on showing the complexities facing our guys in Iraq.  However, you're not going to find our guys in palaces anymore.  We're basically in secured base camps or base clusters.  The palaces are pretty much off limits to the grunts now.

Clement, then I guess you think blackhawk down was fiction too then eh?

meni0n said:
Clement, then I guess you think blackhawk down was fiction too then eh?

No, why would I think that? Save Private Ryan is not a fiction, the story is adapted for the auditoria but the context is totally real.

Okay I just seen the movie last night.... two thumbs up. It was a good movie. Every part in the movie was edcating. It makes me understand better on the conflict in Iraq.

;D

Two Thumbs Up!!

Back