• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Goverment Rates, and Entilement!

little_mp

Inactive
Reaction score
I have noticed that certain Hotels or Buslines and cell phone companies etc. offer Government rates or military rates that any CF member is entitled to. I just thought maybe people could use this thread to mention any discounts or what ever, that we would all be entitled to, seems there is no official database of this information. ;)

All hotels in the Choice Hotels chain offer government rates. (I am a hotel receptionist)   You just have to ask for it and show your goverment card at check-in.   Comfort Inn, Comfort Suites, Quality Suites and others are a part of that chain.   www.choicehotels.ca     :D

I_A_N said:
... I just thought maybe people could use this thread to mention any discounts or what ever, that we would all be entitled to, seems there is no official database of this information.

Um, before this turns into a free-for-all of well-intentioned people posting what is tantamount to free advertising here ... let's stop and think for a minute (I don't have the Army.ca rules at my fingertips, but ... there's a rule against "freeloading" ...)

Yes, certain merchants/companies/corporations offer military discounts - all you have to do is ask, and they'll tell you.  However, it's not always the cheapest rate ... (i.e. some only offer you the government rate, which is a token couple of dollars off the full price - basically, they figure you're travelling on an "expense account").

Having said that, some car rental companies offer you the government rate when you're renting for personal use too (i.e. off duty, on leave, whatever ...) - this can be a bargain, since sometimes it includes unlimited mileage.

I've stumbled across restaurants who give discounts to people in uniform - the funniest one was a drive-through - when I pulled up to the pickup window, the clerk took one look at my uniform and apologised for charging me full price then proceeded to ring in the correction ... (I never even knew they took 10% off!)

So - if you're contemplating a specific purchase or expenditure, by all means - ask them if they give a military discount - if they don't already do so, then ask them right then and there to start (on one of my CIMIC courses it was a homework assignment for our negotiation training - we had to "haggle" and get a discount) - sometimes they'll give you something else that's not advertised like a "rainy day" discount (like the guy did today when I bought a carwash) - if they really like you, sometimes they'll even give you their own "employee" discount ...

And so, if you're asking about something specific - post your question here and ask for advice, but please don't go on a fishing expedition that turns this into a corruption of the policy on advertising ...

Thanks.

Most of the time low-level employees don't know about discounts. For some, it makes more sense to actually pretend that you know that there is a discount even if you don't know and actually get it by sheer intimidation (which is not suppose to happen, obviously, but does happen because of the position people are put into). When asking them politely, most civilians (those that don't know you personally) try to "put you in your place"... it seems to be a popular mentality among workers in customer service who consider themselves treated like floor mats all day long. They might just lie straight to your face or will start a discussion on why you are special or not. Some people find it easier to bluff their way through without having to rely on official entitlement and trying to find out about these entitlements form a third party, hoping that they will give that information to you, and that you won't have to humiliate yourself in front of other people or getting into arguement.

Soldiers are not sales-people to put them into a position to have to negotiate their way into someone's pocket. So, it would be much easier if they were given a specific list of discounts they are entitled to and be done with it. We are talking about military, however...Why do something that makes sense, right?

Lex said:
When asking them politely, most civilians (those that don't know you personally) try to "put you in your place"... it seems to be a popular mentality among workers in customer service who consider themselves treated like floor mats all day long. They might just lie straight to your face or will start a discussion on why you are special or not.
Soldiers are not sales-people to put them into a position to have to negotiate their way into someone's pocket. So, it would be much easier if they were given a specific list of discounts they are entitled to and be done with it. We are talking about military, however...Why do something that makes sense, right?

I'm assuming you've had personal experience with this?  I think perhaps you should re-read bossi's post, as it seems much more pertinent and relevant than re-hashing whatever bad experiences you've had.  As for the "put you in your place", generally, customer service representatives are polite, unless you give them reason not to be.  (There are rude ones out there to be sure, but they're the exception, not the rule)  Perhaps you should think about how you are asking.  And, why should intimidation come in to asking for any sort of discount?  I'm hoping I misread you...

T

None of that matters. Junior members don't know what they are entitled to and none does anything to change that, but keep making them jump through the hoops - go find this, without knowing what it is.

Lex said:
None of that matters. Junior members don't know what they are entitled to and none does anything to change that, but keep making them jump through the hoops - go find this, without knowing what it is.

You've obviously had no time in the customer service industry.  It DOES matter.  Those low-level employees are the ones that "forget" discounts to inconsiderate people.  Your post seemed to imply that you need to always go to the manager for this, I was just suggesting that you perhaps re-phrase how you ask for said discounts.

Anyway, I'm changing the topic of this thread, so I'll back out now.  As for discounts, if they're granted, great.  If not, regardless of where I've worked, I don't usually hunt for them.  They're a perk, not a requirement.  IMHO.

T

Very well, and I suggest that one shouldn't be asking, but should know it because the so called "perks" are deserved through one's service, and none should be made to feel like they are panhandling.

Lex said:
Very well, and I suggest that one shouldn't be asking, but should know it because the so called "perks" are deserved through one's service, and none should be made to feel like they are panhandling.

I, for one, don't that that perks are deserved, they are a privilege that is earned with your service to a particular organization.

Your definition is different than mine.

Do you guys seriously have to bicker about every little thing? I was just wondering because i don't know what I'm entitled to and I would just like to know so every now and then I could save a little money because being a student isn't cheap these days... but if some feel its too much of advertising which I don't see it as but w.e I was just wondering I mean if someone could be like yea at this Hotel I got a good rate or say on this airline or train company or what ever I'm not trying to start some sort of free advertising but so far I have been extremely disappointed by the level of immaturity from some of the people on here sure I'm only 17 but I know when enough is enough you guys go on way to much give it a rest were all on the same side here.

Disagreement is allowed here.

By all means, if you are a student take advantage of the perks that come with your student ID, you're paying for the education and some retailers like to give you a little break. My only point is that when I joined the CF my first question was not about where I could get a cheap meal.

I get Emergency Services discounts at alot of places now but for the last year or more I have never asked for them because in the end I just enjoy my job, that's why I do it.

I have my viewpoint on this subject, others differ, we are all allowed our opinion.

Honestly, I know I probably have no say in this, but the guy's curious.
Maybe he just wants to know.
So why are you beating up on him? That's just unfair.  :-\
I'm sure Ian loves his job, but heck, if I was offered extra perks and ways to save money, I'd take them. I'm sure we all would.
Cut him some slack... come on, it's Christmas after all!  :D

I don't see any beating going on here, just some differing opinions. He has his, I have mine, none will be the end of the world. I didn't mean to imply that if you take advantage of any perks with your job that you don't love doing it, but I do stand by my statement that you should take a job for so many other reasons than the perks. To expand a bit more, you should do the job for more than just the perks.

What the hell, it sound like you are questioning why I joined the CF I didn't even consider those infact I did not know until recently they existed and I've been in a Year now so its not like I'm right threw the doors asking about perks here I just heard lots existed and was curious, Further more I love the reserve force and I cant wait to go on tour and then hopefully Reg force I skipped school on my 16th Birthday to Get down to the Recruiting Center and sign the dotted line thats how egar I was to join up not because I had some recruiter tell me about perks or anything like that but were are entitled to them and I would like to use that to my advantage why pay $195 a night at a hotel when with a Government rate I can pay $95 its not like I'm ripping anyone off I'm just saving a little cash maybe some of you have deeper pockets but between cell phone bills paying for a computer for school, and car insurance and books, and saving for the next tuition bill oh and did i forget still liking to have a social life if possible I could use some cheaper rates sometimes.

Please read my last post through a little more carefully. No accusations were made and I never called into question your reasons for joining the CF.
scott1nsh said:
By all means, if you are a student take advantage of the perks that come with your student ID, you're paying for the education and some retailers like to give you a little break. My only point is that when I joined the CF my first question was not about where I could get a cheap meal.

To expand a bit on this statement, take advantage of the perks offered for members of the CF as well. God knows you are not the highest paid people on the face of the earth. I have opinions about why one should join as it relates to those perks, that's all.

Thank you.

I_A_N - I don't know where you get off calling us immature then spout off that tirade (in a single sentence, no less).  If you'd followed the thread, most of us have been discussing Lex's attitude towards the perks, not your own.  You brought those in to question when you jumped on scott1nsh.  So instead of trying to piss off more people, perhaps you should (with all your vaunted maturity) focus on what was being said, and not the knee-jerk reaction you seem to be having.  Why continue the bickering?  I sent you a PM to clarify to avoid this publicly, but if you wish to discuss it here, so be it.  If you expect to be taken as a mature person, please act it even if people disagree with you, or piss you off for whatever perceived reasons.  Now, as the topic has been totally altered, I'll offer this to get back on topic.

The holiday inn does (given times of booking, etc) discounts to military members/gv't employees.  As well, Carmana Plaza in Vancouver offers a fairly decent rate to gv't employees.

T

Trying to get back "on topic" ... I consulted with "The Boss", and he's in favour of sharing information about good discounts.   So ...

Budget Car Rentals - government/military rate (with military ID at time of renting) - unlimited mileage (sometimes Hertz is cheaper, but they're not as common in Canada)
Greyhound Bus - military rate (show military ID at time of ticket purchase)
Hotels - some offer military rates, others only offer government rates (however, sometimes CAA is a better bargain) - when I stayed at the Chateau Frontenac the rate was awesome(!)

Military discounts are more common in the United States (i.e. DisneyWorld), but they're intended for American service personnel (having said that, sometimes they'll treat you nicely if you're polite).

Finally, going waaaay back to something said earlier:
Lex said:
... Soldiers are not sales-people to put them into a position to have to negotiate their way into someone's pocket ... We are talking about military, however...Why do something that makes sense, right?

Oddly enough, soldiers do sometimes find themselves engaged in inpromptu negotiations - sometimes with people carrying loaded weapons ... so, it only makes sense to start developing and improving your negotiation skills when there's not as much at stake (even if you only ever use them to buy a car or a house) - alternatively, if you don't want to learn how to negotiate, you can remain somebody's else's doormat for as long as you enjoy it.

bossi said:
alternatively, if you don't want to learn how to negotiate, you can remain somebody's else's doormat for as long as you enjoy it.

;D ;D ;D

ln my limited experience, the running room also offers 10% off for CF members. And no, I don't work at the running room. :warstory:

Back