• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Going Reg Force Armour

L

L.Ron

Thanks for all the great info over the last week. Much appreciated. I start Basic March 11th in Esquimalt, that should be interesting.

With my forms I was given the most recent fact sheet on Armoured Soldier and it seems leaner than previous sheets.

I must now ask of you as experienced Armour folks what are some of the more interesting specializations in the armoured corps. I‘m sure in time I‘ll feel it out for myself.

I chose armour mostly for the recce element of it but like the idea of being on foot as well. This may be a dumb question but does Canada have sometihng like dismount scouts ala the us army? Are there people in armour that still do standard foot recce? like infantry. Don‘t get me wrong, one thing that appealed to me was being a crewman as well. I will learn.

Thanks and all the best to you

Yes Recce Sqns do foot patrols, if your in BC I thing BCDs are Recce. But Remember, in the Reserves your training is limited. If possible ask to go with the Strats for exercise from time to time. I spent 95% of my time in a Recce SQN. I enjoyed it more than in those backbraking Tanks. I served in 1st Troop Recce (para) and Assault troop with some time mixed in a Cougar Recce Sqn for my 3 Bosnia Tours. Tanks are ok, but are very controlled, a Recce ptl does it own thing, most recce soldiers are more independent. So enjoy!

Sgt J. CD,CDS com (Airborne,Bold and Swift) :tank:

I have to agree with Recce 41. Armd recce is where it‘s at. Tank stuff is very controlled, micro managed and limiting. Recce, on the other hand, requires a great deal of independence, and initiative. I don‘t think there is any other trade in the army that involves such a variety of tasks, both mounted and dismounted.
Welcome to the Corps!!!!

CJ Lesson plans? :D

Yes, armour does have it‘s moments, but Recce is less monotonous. From my experience in Armour before being rerolled to Recce, Armour had two tasks, defensive and advance to contact (could be more?), Recce on the other hand has many more tasks, keeps you busy! I love to ride (thats why I chose Armour), but foot patrols add spice to your duties.
Good luck in your career!

Same goes for us "Thumper Head‘s" we have our Recce element to and every one want‘s it even the lowest Sapper as it is to a point the closest you will get to being off the leash in the Army but it is very demanding as the Reg.,Brigade, Div.,Army except your Recce. report as on the spot Intel.! and effect‘s how we may move and perform on the battle field!
In other word‘s if you are wrong we lose!

In the Engineer‘s this is a career make or break position,you screw up say hello to Resource‘s Troop.(Field Defence Store‘s I.C.)

Enjoy your course and remember "There is no such thing as a stupid question"

I think in B.C. the other reserve Recce Armoured Unit is the B.C.r‘s.

I‘m not going into the primary reserve. They have just started doing basic on the Island. Apparently St. Jean is just one of many places where it‘s done now. It makes sense in lot of ways to have a weestern central and eastern training center. Thanks again though. It has thrown a lot of people off now that Things are going on in Esquimalt. As to final poting I have no clue. Perhaps with the Strathcona‘s on Edmonton or Hussars Gagetown. I intend to make a career out of it. I‘m in my mid 20‘s and have had enough of civilian life.

Thanks folks,
Does this change my questions at all?

The Lord Strats got out of their vehicles long enough to place second in the Cambrian Patrol, so they must be doing something right. :D

I did a short ex with armoured recce in Gagetown, and I gotta say... those vehicles were damn sweet. (we still killed‘em tho)

Well there is only 3 Reg Regts, RCD in Petawawa, 12RBC Valcarter,and Strats Edmonton. And some from all 3 at the Armour school in Gagetown. The 8CH is long gone off the Reg order of Battle.
Sgt J. CD,CDS com :tank:

Back