• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Getting Nominated For BMQ/SQ

FlightSergeantRose

Reaction score
I have been in the Res since Sept. I got screwed out of going last summer for BMQ b/c they took too long doing my paperwork, which of course they informed me at the last minute. Before that I was told I would be going away, so I was pissed.

Now it is April and most people know when they are going away for courses and taskings. Here I am, an untrained recruit waiting to get trained ( I cannot attend any weekend exercises b/c I have not been on bmq )and the higher up‘s are telling me they "have no idea" when or even if there is going to be any bmq/sq at all in LFWA. My Sgt tells me that its the garrisons responsiblity now to run the bmq/sq and that I should "grab a life preserver" - meaning I had better find something else to do for the summer b/c theres a good chance I won‘t be going anywhere.

I find it hard to believe that there is no bmq‘s being run during the summer for Res in LFWA. I have been bugging them for the last 2 months to find out and they still dont know. 38 Brigade HQ must know exactly whether or not these courses are being run during the summer.

My unit is running the bmq/sq right now, but this is through the highschool coop program and runs during the day. I am a fulltime university student and so obviously I can‘t do this without quiting school.

Is there anyone here or that you know of for sure that is in LFWA and is slated for bmq or sq this summer? I have a feeling that maybe my officers or whatever are being lazy in getting me squared away since I am the only guy in the unit that needs bmq/sq.

last year I didnt find out I was going on course untill 2-3 weeks before it started

also, go through your chain of command, an get a course/training request form, and fill that in

Badbird, every year there are a bunch of people who are recruited and need training (unless its a bad year). I thought I was alone, and left for Basic with 16 other people from Thunder Bay!

I was in the same boat as you last year, and finally got the course nomination some time in May, I think. Heck, I only found out where I was going 4 days before I left!

Our officers most likely aren‘t lazy about getting your course, because they can only do so much. Just keep an eye out for when a notice about BMQ courses gets passed downstairs...

hope this helps,

I appreciate your situation but one thing that you have to remember is, do not compare your career progression to others. I have had supervisors who joined after I did and I now have people who work for me that have more time in than I do.

There may be courses this summer but maybe they have not have established the dates yet and therefore have not been published to the units.

Keep your head up and your eyes focused.

Kirkpatrick,

Do not mention points of contact in this format unless you have the authority to do so on their behalf!

Chain of command! remember that!

You‘ve been getting the shaft. My unit got a list 5 months ago of all coarses in LFWA for this year. Naturally everythign changes so much that yeah...everything‘s changed. However, I know troops that are going to WATC (westers area training centre) this summer for BMQ, SQ, and several for their BIQ.

Back