• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Game Time!!!! Movie Quotes

This great evil. Where does it come from? How'd it steal into the world? What seed, what root did it grow from? Who's doin' this? Who's killin' us? Robbing us of life and light. Mockin' us with the sight of what we might've known. Does our ruin benefit the earth? Does it help the grass to grow, the sun to shine? Is this darkness in you, too? Have you passed to this night?

"Him:  "I'm a baker."

Her: "I'm a baker's wife." "

- Still no takers?

MdB said:
This great evil. Where does it come from? How'd it steal into the world? What seed, what root did it grow from? Who's doin' this? Who's killin' us? Robbing us of life and light. Mockin' us with the sight of what we might've known. Does our ruin benefit the earth? Does it help the grass to grow, the sun to shine? Is this darkness in you, too? Have you passed to this night?

The Thin Red Line

big bad john said:

"Castle Keep." 1969, dir by Sydney Pollack.  Burt Lancaster, Peter Falk.

Sfc. Rossie Baker: [enterting brothel with loaves] "Everybody should eat more bread. Feeds the heart. And remember, the heart's the second-most important organ in the human body."

The Count: "You find me degenerate - or worse even, French."

From this moment on... There will be no further reprisals against civilians. This was stupid. Impotence. Comrades... If a fox stole your chickens... Would you slaughter your pig because he saw the fox? No. You would hunt the fox... You would find where it lives and destroy it! And how do we do this? Become a fox.

"Where is your counter attack?"
"I am attacking!  I am defending!  I am counterattacking!"

- - - - - -
"Where are my planes?  Where are my tanks?"

- - - - - -

"Where is my weapon?"
"It's on the wall, sir."

- - - - - -

All of these are from the same movie, mostly by the same character

a_majoor said:
Sounds like cross of Iron
It is!  The "dolt" in those quotes is Captain Strannsky, aptly acted by Maximillian Schell.  The first quote happened as the Soviets were attacking his company for the first time ("Is this another probe, Strannsky?" "A probe sir?  This is an attack in force!"  The scene switches to show a few hundred Soviets doing a human wave attack across the German position, with shouts of "URRRAH!" coming from the masses.)
The second quote is from the same time as Lt Meier is doing all the work, coordinating the defence and leading by example as he slaughters Soviet after soviet until his MP 40 jams (runs out of ammo?) and he resorts to using it as a club.  Poor Lt Meier then takes a bayonet and a bullet to the gut.
The last quote is just as Strannsky realises that he cannot command his company from a bunker, gets his weapon, adjusts his helmet, and meekly leaves the bunker, muttering "to the battle" to himself.  He pops out, yells a few cursory commands as Germans go by him ("Keep moving, men, keep moving")  He looks around, goes back into the bunker, muttering again ("we are winning, we are winning!").  Steiner is leading the counterattack and his trusty mate Schnurrbart retakes a MG 42 in the SF role (well, on the tripod, anyway), gives the word of command "UNLOCK!" to his number two.  He then goes on a free traverse killing spree of the second wave of Soviets as they are coming down a forward slope.

Gosh, I love this movie

"Respect your efforts, respect yourself. Self-respect leads to self-discipline. When you have both firmly under your belt, that's real power.”

HL

Back