• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

G&M: CBC's military obsession just feels creepy

http://www.rbcinvest.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/ArticleNews/PEstory/LAC/20061216/COBLATCH16/Headlines/headdex/headdexComment/10/10/21/

I was en route here this week when the CBC's The National devoted much of one newscast to Canadian soldiers and the mission in Afghanistan as part of what the network calls its On the Road series.

Even if The National gave too much time to soldiers this one night, who more richly deserves the country's attention and air time?

I'd rather watch 100 hours about those who would lay down their lives for their brothers, than see one more minute about those who debate the merits of sacrifice from the hothouses of Ottawa and Toronto.

More on Link

The cumulative effect was that soldiers were rendered strangers, and that in what passes for the intellectual salons of central Canada, "soldier" came to be synonymous with "joke" or "guy who can't get a real job," which is pretty rich from those who dwell in university ivory towers, editorial boardrooms and on Parliament Hill.

Same article ... :)

I must say that Mr. Doyle certainly has opened a can of worms amoungst his own and taken a rather interesting anti-press position of the CBC.  I for one watched the CBC from Trenton (one of the only times I'll admit to watching CBC) and thought it was very professionally done.  Peter was laid back and the stories and atmosphere seemed very much "support our troops"  I think the only thing missing was have Peter wear a red t-shirt.
I also read Mr. Doyle's article in another thread and must say that maybe he should keep his head down for awhile or do what other reporters are doing and get off his butt and go to Afgan before he types.  Oh, that's right, he's only a TV Critic.
Shot over.
:cdn:

Apparently Doyle is not the tallest tree in the journalistic forest, if you can believe this:

http://www.thegantelope.com/archives/000316.html

With regard to his bio, further searches fail to pin down his citizenship status....launch the Feds...I think he is an illegal.....

He is certainly a w_anker….Merry Christmas!
:salute:

The email I sent to Mr. Doyle (jdoyle@globeandmail.ca), with a CC: to Christie (cblatchford@globeandmail.ca)

Subj:  Stay In Your Lane Mr. Doyle

As I haven't watched television since 1997 (AT ALL - EVER), I am not usually aware of your columns - their subject holds no interest for me.

Recently, however, it appears that you decided to step outside of your lane (which is entertainment), and into political and military commentary.

Just stay in your lane, bub - then I won't need to hear from you again.

R.H. Harding, CD
WO (Retd)

PS - if you don't know what the post-nominals indicate, or the alphabet soup under my signature block, just ask Christie Blatchford - SHE'll know.

Re: HDE’s commentary.

I didn’t say that I thought it was “positive” that our military had been on the rust-out, and I don’t think that at any time Canadians saw it as “positive”. I don’t think that has much to do with the topic, really. Perhaps we had rust-out because Canadians were wishing for a peace dividend and wanted spending cut back in the day. A case of the greater information malaise Canadians have for most of their government activities, I would think. If any serving member were to phone up a cousin not connected to the military and ask him to describe exactly what Canada is doing right now in Afghanistan and how they are doing it, what do you think would be his response?

If we as Canadians are generally not well informed about the Canadian military, then that is an issue for the media and the Government to address. But you can’t make people involved against their wills. Look at how many vote in municipal elections.

As for my thoughts on US and Canadian interests coinciding or not, I strongly believe, based on our past history, that aside from cross-border issues and general Western cultural issues, we have little in common with American intentions internationally. We participate in some Organizations because it’s mutually beneficial, not because we have common goals. I mean, were you keen to get involved in the invasion of Panama, the Contra War in Nicaragua, or the war in Vietnam? Why would we, when nothing about those wars has any great Canadian interest? And look at the background behind those wars. It’s a sordid, rather dirty series of messes. Yes we have common interests, but we do not see the world the way America does. That’s an important distinction.

Since free markets, the Rule of Law and human rights are important to western cultures, then I will get on side and say that preserving these rights and freedoms, and by extension, taking actions to extend these rights and freedoms to others are very much in Canada's interests.

The main difference is from the 1960's until the 1990's, our "elites" decided the Americans could do the protecting and extending freedom work for us as well, so "we" really have no moral high ground to stand on to criticise those who we gave the job to. Now that we are taking our place among the responsible nations in the world, the general public, the media and many politicians have discovered that we live in a universe of limited resources and that we need to choose where we use our resources carefully. We are also rediscovering the world is not entirely black and white, and often we have to try to find the least worst of a series of bad options.

Am I the only one that thinks, Christie Blatchford would have a hard time paying for a beer in any Army Mess.

The amount of will full ignorance among the public, media, and the politicians about the Military, and the world out side of their small little box, seems to be endless.

No, I do believe that Christie will have a never ending supply of drinks waiting for her at any mess at any CF!!
:cdn:

I also like the fact that Christie is starting to talk like us.

She said "pointy head."

Wook

Wookilar said:
I also like the fact that Christie is starting to talk like us.
She's been talking that way for years. When she came up to Pet to talk with troops during the Airborne disbandment, she certainly didn't blush at the language; in fact, she seemed to fit right in at Sassy's  ;D

Journeyman said:
She's been talking that way for years. When she came up to Pet to talk with troops during the Airborne disbandment, she certainly didn't blush at the language; in fact, she seemed to fit right in at Sassy's   ;D

This bio might help explain what the lady is about:  http://www.rrj.ca/issue/1984/spring/4/

I hasten to add her Dad was a RCAF Sqn Ldr.

This is also good for a smile:
http://www.cda-cdai.ca/Munro_%20Award/Christie%20Blatchford%20speech07.pdf

I don't think she'd be standing either. From what I've read so far from Christie, she's one of "us" who writes well for the papers and has a great reputation to stand on when she fights back for the soldiers.
Beer on the table, always waiting for you, Christie.
:salute:

Here are the comments to G&M post Mr Mansbridges article:
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20061214.wmansbridge14/CommentStory/#comment521496

Mansbridge: Covering all angles of Afghanistan
PETER MANSBRIDGE

From Thursday's Globe and Mail

CBC's reporting has included the debate over the mission, anchor says in response to Globe column.

Daniel Martin from Petawawa, writes: Keep up th good work Peter, Your doing a good job Hopefully other reporters can be more like you

A M, from On the home front., Canada wrote: A journalist retorting a commentator. Nice.

Contrary to what Mr Doyle thinks about the CBC coverage of the mission to Afghanistan, I and many other like minded Canadians think this coverage is well rounded and comprehensive, non judgemental and informative. Is this not what good journalism is supposed to be?

Perhaps Mr Doyle should from the comfort of his office cubicle, limit his commentary to fictional drama and comedy and leave the journalists out in the field to do their job reporting facts.

Brendan Christie from Toronto, Canada writes: With respect, John Doyle needs to sit in his 'TV cranny' and shut the hell up. He’s so obviously uninformed, so gleefully free of the burden of unnecessary details like ‘facts’ or ‘perspective’, that his editors should limit his published opinions to whatever happened on last night’s America’s Top Model.

Mr. Mansbridge is too much the consummate professional to say it (though he does a good job of implying it), but maybe Doyle should perhaps read his own paper? Or maybe a book? Or have someone read one to him and point to the pictures?

Canada is involved in an international conflict, and whether Doyle agrees with it or not is irrelevant – in a democracy it is the right, the burden, of each free citizen to debate policy. But, to sit back and sarcastically criticize the small amount of air time dedicated to celebrating the men and women in our armed forces during the holiday season is at best moronic, at worst intentionally misleading.

Thank God we have real journalists like Mr. Mansbridge to offer informed opinion.

Yours,

Brendan Christie

rob brown from Calgary, Canada writes: Thank goodness for Peter Mansbridge writing what I was thinking after reading that tripe from a TV columnist. If Doyle would like a more interesting reporting career then I suggest he learn how at the side of someone like Peter pr Christie Blanchford. Until then I will wait with baited breath for his next big story on the up and coming animated sitcoms.

Rob

C H from Canada writes: I found CBC's Road Stories Homefront to be very well done. But then again, it didn't focus on all the negatives and gore in Afghanistan like the G&M tends to do. Maybe this is why Doyle is so upset. Heaven forbid that Canadians see that the soldiers and their families are commited to success in Afghanistan. We wouldn't want anyone to know that in many areas in Afghanistan the lives of the people there have been enriched by the presence of Canadians - be it the soldiers or the NGOs.

Steven Jefferys from Angus, ON, writes: Thank you Mr Mansbridge for accurately reporting on military families and how they are feeling at this time.

Comments are closed

5 comments are not many...but I have never seen all commentors speak for the same side of the discussion.

Here is John Doyle’s answer to Peter Mansbridge’s response to Doyle’s critique of CBC’s coverage of military families.  It is from today’s (18 Dec 06) Globe and Mail and is reproduced under the Fair Dealings provision of the Copyright Act:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20061218.wxdoyle18/BNStory/Entertainment/home
Offensive? How about fair criticism?

JOHN DOYLE
From Monday's Globe and Mail

I do wish Peter Mansbridge had been less defensive and less self-righteous in his rebuttal to my column of last Wednesday, on the subject of The National's coverage of the Canadian military.

Mansbridge has been the object of joking remarks in my column on many occasions. He has always taken this in a good spirit, for which I admire and respect him. Few people in the TV racket in Canada are as good-natured about fun at their expense. In fact, few people are as adult about it. I expected better in his rebuttal.

Neither Mansbridge nor CBC management can have a monopoly on opinion about CBC's coverage of the military mission in Afghanistan. Those "Your View" items from viewers that pop up on The National are a poor substitute for vigorous questioning of how our public broadcaster covers key issues that matter to all Canadians, who fund the CBC with their tax dollars.

It is perfectly fair to suggest that some of CBC Television's coverage of the military has verged on the maudlin and sentimental. If CBC-TV News carried out some vigorous, internal analysis of its own coverage, I'd be surprised if that point did not arise.

And it is also perfectly fair to raise the possibility that CBC might be following the lead of the minority Conservative government in its near idolatry of the military. CBC is in a beleaguered position in the present political environment. It needs to make a strong case for increased funding and it needs to prove that it serves a vital need.

The current government has made it crystal clear that it intends to raise the status of the military through increased funding that runs into the billions of dollars. And with the public divided on the merits of the mission in Afghanistan, the government's position is a potential political quagmire. (For heaven's sake, the Prime Minister is using the Afghan mission in a game of cat-and-mouse with the opposition parties about a possible election.) There is nothing outrageous in suggesting that CBC-TV News may have leaned too far in following the government's lead.

It is not "nonsense," as Mansbridge stated, and to dismiss it as such is the worst sort of witless arrogance. It is the duty of a responsible critic to raise the possibility of mistakes, if the critic feels the CBC has erred. And, believe me, I'm not the only one who feels that, on occasion, the CBC has erred in presenting what looks like cheerleading coverage of the military. A great many people were made uneasy by The National's hour-long special from a military base and use of the phrase "home front." Of the many hundreds of responses to last Wednesday's column, the majority of correspondents felt their unease about CBC had been articulated.

CBC is entitled to be "proud" of its coverage of Afghanistan, as Mansbridge declared. It has done a great deal that is praiseworthy. But CBC's pride in itself is beside the point. CBC can pat itself on the head until the troops come home, but any time a country sends its men and women into combat and is willing to sacrifice lives, constant questioning of both the mission and the coverage of that mission by a publicly funded broadcaster is an absolute necessity.

Further, it is a fact that the idolization of the military is a key tactic used by autocratic governments anxious to gird the population into a unified stance in support of a multitude of issues and a single ideology. Militarism is not a concept I invented to attack the CBC. It is a fact of history and we can all learn something from being aware of it, including "the chief correspondent for CBC News and anchor of The National."

In the voluminous response to last Wednesday's column, I heard from several readers who grew up in countries under the rule of a military dictatorship. And to them, the public broadcaster's treatment of the military is an important signal. I called The National's sentimental treatment of the military "creepy." To others, who have direct experience of military dictatorships, it is downright ghoulish.

In the end, what Peter Mansbridge's rebuttal also raises is an important point about the state of media criticism in Canada. There isn't any.

Apart from the occasional column by Antonia Zerbisias in The Toronto Star, and the contributions of a small group of academics, largely working in obscurity, major Canadian media organizations, including newspapers, rarely face criticism or analysis. There is The Ryerson Review of Journalism, but that is written by students and, if the number of inquiries I receive is any indication, most of them are interested in writing about George Stroumboulopoulos and the CBC's attempt to offer cool news on The Hour.

Vigorous criticism of the media is necessary, whether Mansbridge likes it or not. Mansbridge appeared to be outraged by my column on The National's coverage of the military. If my point wasn't "nonsense," it was "offensive." Hello? If you're offended by criticism and analysis, you're in the wrong racket.

Criticism and analysis will continue to come in this column. And maudlin, sentimental coverage of the military will be pointed out. While Peter Mansbridge can cite the CBC network's "heritage," this newspaper has an even longer heritage. Its motto dates back to 1844: "The subject who is truly loyal to the Chief Magistrate will neither advise nor submit to arbitrary measures." We call as it as we see it, outside of the emotional context, and in the cold light of fair analysis.

jdoyle@globeandmail.com

I agree, fully with:

Neither Mansbridge nor CBC management can have a monopoly on opinion about CBC's coverage of the military mission in Afghanistan … [Canadians need] vigorous questioning of how our public broadcaster covers key issues that matter to all Canadians, who fund the CBC with their tax dollars.  It appears however, that Doyle’s views on vigorous questioning stop when they reach his musings.

And it is also perfectly fair to raise the possibility that CBC might be following the lead of the minority Conservative government … CBC is in a beleaguered position in the present political environment. It needs to make a strong case for increased funding …  Doyle knows that media regularly scratches the belly of the ‘great and good’ and the rich and powerful, too.  Nowhere is this more prevalent than in the tiny hothouse of the Canadian arts community.

… any time a country sends its men and women into combat and is willing to sacrifice lives, constant questioning of both the mission and the coverage of that mission by a publicly funded broadcaster is an absolute necessity.  So, where was Doyle when, for years, thousands and thousands of Canadians criticized the mainstream media, especially the CBC, for a perceived anti-military bias?

It seems to me that Doyle’s reaction to one, tiny, maybe isolated use of the military to spice up CBC’s typically maudlin (here I do agree with Doyle with regard to the Edmonton families part of the 'story') coverage of the traditional ‘not home for the holidays’ story means that the anti-military sentiment in this country is strong, especially amongst the puffed up, latté sipping chattering classes in loony-left Toronto.

Edward Campbell said:
Here is John Doyle’s answer to Peter Mansbridge’s response to Doyle’s critique of CBC’s coverage of military families.  It is from today’s (18 Dec 06) Globe and Mail and is reproduced under the Fair Dealings provision of the Copyright Act:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20061218.wxdoyle18/BNStory/Entertainment/home
I agree, fully with:

Neither Mansbridge nor CBC management can have a monopoly on opinion about CBC's coverage of the military mission in Afghanistan … [Canadians need] vigorous questioning of how our public broadcaster covers key issues that matter to all Canadians, who fund the CBC with their tax dollars.  It appears however, that Doyle’s views on vigorous questioning stop when they reach his musings.

Isn't he accepting vigorous questioning by engaging in this rebuttal?

And it is also perfectly fair to raise the possibility that CBC might be following the lead of the minority Conservative government … CBC is in a beleaguered position in the present political environment. It needs to make a strong case for increased funding …  Doyle knows that media regularly scratches the belly of the ‘great and good’ and the rich and powerful, too.  Nowhere is this more prevalent than in the tiny hothouse of the Canadian arts community.

Up until the mission in Afghanistan the CBC has stood for everything that the party in power hates. Not to say that the hatred has stopped.

… any time a country sends its men and women into combat and is willing to sacrifice lives, constant questioning of both the mission and the coverage of that mission by a publicly funded broadcaster is an absolute necessity.  So, where was Doyle when, for years, thousands and thousands of Canadians criticized the mainstream media, especially the CBC, for a perceived anti-military bias?

You didn't deal with Doyle's point. Canadians support our troops but over fifty percent feel that this NATO mission, as Dion stated, needs to be reviewed in order to ensure we are on a path that will meet the political and military objectives.

It seems to me that Doyle’s reaction to one, tiny, maybe isolated use of the military to spice up CBC’s typically maudlin (here I do agree with Doyle with regard to the Edmonton families part of the 'story') coverage of the traditional ‘not home for the holidays’ story means that the anti-military sentiment in this country is strong, especially amongst the puffed up, latté sipping chattering classes in loony-left Toronto.

This comment is so twisted I think I will go sip a latte. ;)  I think Canadian's support for our military is stronger than it has been for many a year, note the general public support for increased spending on new equipment, now support for the mission is another thing.

Offensive? How about fair criticism?

JOHN DOYLE
From Monday's Globe and Mail

I do wish Peter Mansbridge had been less defensive and less self-righteous in his rebuttal to my column of last Wednesday, on the subject of The National's coverage of the Canadian military.

Mansbridge has been the object of joking remarks in my column on many occasions. He has always taken this in a good spirit, for which I admire and respect him. Few people in the TV racket in Canada are as good-natured about fun at their expense. In fact, few people are as adult about it. I expected better in his rebuttal.

I don't think you, Mr. Doyle, get the point.  It isn't Peter Mansbridge's sense of humour that is in question, but the insult you, John Doyle, made to the members and families of the CF that is in question.

Neither Mansbridge nor CBC management can have a monopoly on opinion about CBC's coverage of the military mission in Afghanistan. Those "Your View" items from viewers that pop up on The National are a poor substitute for vigorous questioning of how our public broadcaster covers key issues that matter to all Canadians, who fund the CBC with their tax dollars.

It is perfectly fair to suggest that some of CBC Television's coverage of the military has verged on the maudlin and sentimental. If CBC-TV News carried out some vigorous, internal analysis of its own coverage, I'd be surprised if that point did not arise.

Again, who cares about the CBC programing?  It is about your insulting the members and families of the CF with your callus take on a CBC 'story'/broadcast.

And it is also perfectly fair to raise the possibility that CBC might be following the lead of the minority Conservative government in its near idolatry of the military. CBC is in a beleaguered position in the present political environment. It needs to make a strong case for increased funding and it needs to prove that it serves a vital need.

The current government has made it crystal clear that it intends to raise the status of the military through increased funding that runs into the billions of dollars. And with the public divided on the merits of the mission in Afghanistan, the government's position is a potential political quagmire. (For heaven's sake, the Prime Minister is using the Afghan mission in a game of cat-and-mouse with the opposition parties about a possible election.) There is nothing outrageous in suggesting that CBC-TV News may have leaned too far in following the government's lead.

Mr. Doyle, this sounds a lot like a Leftist slam of the current Government policies.......well out of your league as an 'Entertainment Critic'.

It is not "nonsense," as Mansbridge stated, and to dismiss it as such is the worst sort of witless arrogance. It is the duty of a responsible critic to raise the possibility of mistakes, if the critic feels the CBC has erred. And, believe me, I'm not the only one who feels that, on occasion, the CBC has erred in presenting what looks like cheerleading coverage of the military. A great many people were made uneasy by The National's hour-long special from a military base and use of the phrase "home front." Of the many hundreds of responses to last Wednesday's column, the majority of correspondents felt their unease about CBC had been articulated.

Nice to see that you so easily ignore the thousands who have been offended by your "error".  It would appear that you are a champion of the minority Left.

CBC is entitled to be "proud" of its coverage of Afghanistan, as Mansbridge declared. It has done a great deal that is praiseworthy. But CBC's pride in itself is beside the point. CBC can pat itself on the head until the troops come home, but any time a country sends its men and women into combat and is willing to sacrifice lives, constant questioning of both the mission and the coverage of that mission by a publicly funded broadcaster is an absolute necessity.

Further, it is a fact that the idolization of the military is a key tactic used by autocratic governments anxious to gird the population into a unified stance in support of a multitude of issues and a single ideology. Militarism is not a concept I invented to attack the CBC. It is a fact of history and we can all learn something from being aware of it, including "the chief correspondent for CBC News and anchor of The National."

In the voluminous response to last Wednesday's column, I heard from several readers who grew up in countries under the rule of a military dictatorship. And to them, the public broadcaster's treatment of the military is an important signal. I called The National's sentimental treatment of the military "creepy." To others, who have direct experience of military dictatorships, it is downright ghoulish.

Mr. Doyle, once again you are being a "Political Commentator" rather than the "Entertainment Critic" you really are.  It would be interesting to inform you that the Canadian Military and that of some Despotic state are quite different, as is the Governing of Canada compared to a Communist, Socialist or Despotic State.  But as an "Entertainment Critic" it would appear that those subtleties are beyond your comprehension.

In the end, what Peter Mansbridge's rebuttal also raises is an important point about the state of media criticism in Canada. There isn't any.

Your arrogance, Mr. Doyle, is amazing.

Apart from the occasional column by Antonia Zerbisias in The Toronto Star, and the contributions of a small group of academics, largely working in obscurity, major Canadian media organizations, including newspapers, rarely face criticism or analysis. There is The Ryerson Review of Journalism, but that is written by students and, if the number of inquiries I receive is any indication, most of them are interested in writing about George Stroumboulopoulos and the CBC's attempt to offer cool news on The Hour.

Vigorous criticism of the media is necessary, whether Mansbridge likes it or not. Mansbridge appeared to be outraged by my column on The National's coverage of the military. If my point wasn't "nonsense," it was "offensive." Hello? If you're offended by criticism and analysis, you're in the wrong racket.

Criticism and analysis will continue to come in this column. And maudlin, sentimental coverage of the military will be pointed out. While Peter Mansbridge can cite the CBC network's "heritage," this newspaper has an even longer heritage. Its motto dates back to 1844: "The subject who is truly loyal to the Chief Magistrate will neither advise nor submit to arbitrary measures." We call as it as we see it, outside of the emotional context, and in the cold light of fair analysis.

jdoyle@globeandmail.com

Ah!  Only the Left have the story right.  Riiiiiight!  Stick to Entertainment, and leave the Political Commentary to the professionals.

....raises is an important point about the state of media criticism in Canada. There isn't any.
Interesting point raised by....well, a media critic.
I don't know why we're taking Doyle seriously if he obviously dismisses his own criticism

I don't know why we're taking Doyle seriously if he obviously dismisses his own criticism

And with all due respect to other posters on this thread,

that might just be the most lucid comment I have read yet....

Journeyman said:
Interesting point raised by....well, a media critic.

How about we include the entire quote:

Back