• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Future of CAP

Ty

Inactive
Reaction score
Hey all-
Just a shot in the dark, but could someone in the know comment on what’s being discussed for the future of the CAP course? I’m coming at this from a PRes point of view- while I understand that a perfect world would have reg and res officers trained to the same standard, 11 straight weeks at Gagetown will never jive with my employer and, through using vacation, I can probably get at most 3 weeks per year.  This would mean that it will take me 7 years to be a qualified officer with no real vacation time taken.

I’m hoping there are plans to decentralize some of this training- either in CAP or DP1, I’d hate to be the only troop leader using a walker.
Thanks

I know exactly how you feel. I am also PRes and am finding it difficult to take 11 weeks away from home. I am a stay at home mom right now, but may be taking on more work soon.

I am hoping that they will de-centralize some of the theory portion and then have a shorter away course (maybe 5 weeks or less) to do the practical. I guess we can keep hoping...

CAP reserve was just reinstated to its full length.  The mod system is relatively new... in the old days it was all or nothing.

I see it time and again... it remains unfortunate that they recruit officers who have no ability to complete their primary courses.  As part of boarding or processing reserve officer applicants that would be one of my first questions.  "Here is the requirements to get you trained... how do you see yourself accomplishing this?"

The facts of life are that officers require a lot of training, and the system is best designed for university students with summers off.  They should select officers with this in mind.  Getting a better deal than the mod system is unlikely.

The facts of life are that officers require a lot of training, and the system is best designed for university students with summers off.  They should select officers with this in mind.  Getting a better deal than the mod system is unlikely.

Which also leaves the unit with a high turnover rate when those officers graduate and pursue other careers. One of the advantages of the old MITCP was that it provided perpetual "garrison" officers who did a lot of the boring adminstrative stuff and kept the unit running over the years.

However I do agree that the reserve needs to make up its mind: do they want people with careers who can contribute as "citizen soldiers" -- or do they just want students.

The current CAP is simply impractical for anyone with an established career.

cheers, mdh

CAP is a 5 mod system. Modules 1 and 5 can be taught decentralised.  Just don't go to the Infantry School finish Mod 2,3 & 4 and expect to be qualified CAP. You still need to get Mod 1 and 5 done.  But nothing precludes an individual from coming to Gagetown in the summer and doing all 5 modules.

plattypuss said:
CAP is a 5 mod system. Modules 1 and 5 can be taught decentralised.  Just don't go to the Infantry School finish Mod 2,3 & 4 and expect to be qualified CAP. You still need to get Mod 1 and 5 done.  But nothing precludes an individual from coming to Gagetown in the summer and doing all 5 modules.

Could you please let me know where you got this info? I know last year they did decentralized portions of 1,2, and 4 but was told by my ops cell that this year all mods are centralized.

What follows is an editorial comment lacking any information, but I wanted to get this off my chest.

The killing of RESO and MITCIP was a self-inflicted wound.  Both streams worked, especially when a unit had a healthy population of both.  Now we've made something that suits neither group of officer applicants.

Thanks

TA

plattypuss is a former boss of mine.  He is currently working in CTCHQ.  If someone was likely to know of this first hand, it would most likely be him.  (I am sure 2Bravo can also vouch for his word.)

George Wallace said:
TA

plattypuss is a former boss of mine.  He is currently working in CTCHQ.  If someone was likely to know of this first hand, it would most likely be him.  (I am sure 2Bravo can also vouch for his word.)

Thanks, GW- not doubting his word, but would like to go to my Ops O with some hard data that would allow me to get coursed on Mod 2, 3, 4 at Gagetown without taking 1....I might be CAP qualified by the end of next year!!

I will second TA. We have two teachers who are missing CAP this year because CTC is starting the last summer serial of CAP too early for them to attend. If Mod 1 can be offered decentralized, then the word needs to get out.

Thanks, GW- not doubting his word, but would like to go to my Ops O with some hard data that would allow me to get coursed on Mod 2, 3, 4 at Gagetown without taking 1....I might be CAP qualified by the end of next year!!

I haven't heard that there was any decentralized alternative either (at least not in 39 Brigade) but if there is an alternative I would like to know as well since we're facing similar issues in our unit.

cheers, mdh

Believe me - I understand the confusion related to CAP - I'm not sure why it went all fuzzy but even in CTC HQ its' sometime confusing (no comments please).  To alleviate some of the confusion the HQ has sent out a "travelling roadshow" complete with dancing bears to the various HQ both Res and Reg to spread the word on CAP. 
This year - Mod 1 and 5 can be taught decentralised but Mod 1 must be completed prior to taking Mod 2,3 & 4.  Mod 5 (the Ranges) can also be decentralised. Mod 1 consists of the C7 PWT, GPS, Army Fitness and AFV/AC Famil. 
To add to the confusion this years Mod 5 was last years Mod 4 and Mod 1 is some of last years Mod 1 and 2.

I looked for a website link that would show the changes but was unable to find one.  I would suggest having your Ops O talk to your Area IT rep who should have knowledge of the changes.

I looked for a website link that would show the changes but was unable to find one.  I would suggest having your Ops O talk to your Area IT rep who should have knowledge of the changes.

Plattypus

Thanks for the clarification, it's good news, and if you do any links you can share with us in the future I'd be most appreciative.  :salute:

cheers, mdh

It has been mentioned in this forum that Mod 1 can be taught de-centralised. I was part of a group on CAP last year that was slated to take MOD 1 but ended up on a combined MOD 1 & 2 with only some of the POs from each. We who left after the first two weeks were assured (by our crse OC) that the remaining POs from both MODs 1 & 2 could be made up at our home units. With that my unit provided decentralised training this past year. Thanks to a switched on Trng Warrant and other committed mbrs of my unit this worked well. There has been a glitch however, apparently the Army Fitness PO has to be evaluated by pari staff, which may require me to repeat MOD 1. Has any anyone else been faced with this "Army Fitness" assessment problem?

Back