• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Future Helicopters

Some have hinted it was Budget driven and there needs to be more monies allocated.
Others more cynical than I (if that was possible) have hinted they need to wait till after the midterms to avoid political fall out.

Given the issues on the Osprey tilt rotor that has been flying for years, and it still has issues, I tend to doubt the Army wants to jump into the business with the Bell V-280. I really like the concept of the tilt rotor (speed is life), and was a big proponent of the Osprey - but admittedly I'd rather be in a Hook than an Osprey these days, and by default a Defiant than 280.

Color me legitimately shocked.

Wowzers....

"Ideally, FLRAA will be capable of traveling roughly 2,440 nautical miles (or 2,810 miles) without refueling, but also must be agile enough to maneuver troops into dangerous hot spots."

This bird would probably make a great Griffon replacement......so we won't get it

You're probably right. I hear Ukraine has some refurbished Mi-8s we can snag up cheap.

We don't need "Cadillac 'Elicopter" after all 😉

This bird would probably make a great Griffon replacement......so we won't get it
First we need to see what gender impact it can have, Climate impact, cultural impact, regional benefit, etc, etc.

So we get either A. A slightly upgraded Griffin with a cool but useless gadget or B. we get 4 x V280 Valors in 35 years

Color me legitimately shocked.

Well, the programme was called the Future LONG RANGE Assault Aircraft. And the Indo Pacific was the preferred theatre.

Wowzers....

"Ideally, FLRAA will be capable of traveling roughly 2,440 nautical miles (or 2,810 miles) without refueling, but also must be agile enough to maneuver troops into dangerous hot spots."

Don't know about a Griffon replacement but how about a C295 Kingfisher, Twotter, Cormorant replacement that could be additionally purchased to supplement the Griffon and the Chinook? Leave the Griffon for the domestic utility role and add the Valor to move the companies of the Light Battalions and CSOR rapidly around North America (and Scandinavia).

Well, the programme was called the Future LONG RANGE Assault Aircraft. And the Indo Pacific was the preferred theatre.
Tilt Rotor issues and the landing area required for the Valor had me expecting the LocMart/Sik/Boeing Defiant to come out on top. Not to mention the whole aspect of the LocMart/Sik production line workforce of the BlackHawk. In an era of ensuring supply chains are maintained, adding Bell to the Army was very unexpected.
Conneticut is going to be gutted.

Don't know about a Griffon replacement but how about a C295 Kingfisher, Twotter, Cormorant replacement that could be additionally purchased to supplement the Griffon and the Chinook? Leave the Griffon for the domestic utility role and add the Valor to move the companies of the Light Battalions and CSOR rapidly around North America (and Scandinavia).

Back