• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

FRS vs Mil Issue Radios

Status
Not open for further replies.
the problem with TCCCS is not that it's too hard to use, the problem is a bunch of people who can somehow manage to use every electronic gadget under the sun, some how maintain a connection to the internet, but itch because the radio's we use in 2000+ are not as simple as radios designed when tubes were new technology.

But here's the thing - that TASKS we expect our radios to do in 2000+ are effectively the same as the radios we used in 1970.

The only new things that TCCCS brings to the table for the average end user are frequency hopping and integral crypto, both of which (once properly configured) are completely transparent to the end user. Joe Section Commander is not aware that his transmissions are encrypted and being relayed over multiple frequencies; all he is aware of is that radio can or can not talk to the people he wants to reach.

In a perfect world, nobody on the pointy end of the stick would ever have to do anything more complicated than select the channel the radio is operating on (which in the case of a frequency hopper is a "virtual channel") set the volume, and Push To Talk.

In the Real World (as the 521 has shown) we cannot expect all our radios to be pre-configured by Sig Ops or Rad Techs or whatever. That means the user interface on the radios needs to be able to expose the end user to the setup/programming functions, and that in turn means that the user interface of a frequency hopping encrypted radio is going to need to be more complicated than that of the PRC-77.

But that being said, that user interface should be designed to make the programming/setup functions as simple and streamlined as possible. The user interface needs to be designed from a task-oriented perspective, not an internal-machine-state perspective.

And from examining the 522, it is clear that not only did that NOT happen, but it is also clear that the user interface to the radio was desined AFTER the controls had been decided on. Some controls are heavily overloaded. Other controls have functions spread across multiple UI devices, in effect "wasting" the elements.

A simple UI redesign could greatly reduce the setup/configure/use complexity that everybody talks about, without compromising the feature set of the radio.

DG

c_canuk said:
The fact is a weekend crash course is too short to teach all the nuances and get a platoon of any person, sigs or not, up to speed on radios.

Which is the problem... as Go!! pointed out, most people can pick up and figure out a 138 set with a little bit of fooling around, as it's all text based menus.

Pretty much anyone could figure out a 77 set as it was all dials.

The problem is, if you're going to have a radio that's manpackable, it's manpackable because the infantry are going to be humping it, and if the infantry are humping it, it had better be simple, as they've got other things to worry about then memorizing button combinations. And everyone in the platoon had better be able to use it in case the platoon signaller is lost.

The 522 however is not a simple piece of kit, or one that can be figured out without either a manual, an instructor, or cheat sheets.

3) then when I say suck it up and learn the kit, then mention how my unit was the first to get over the emotional loss of the old kit and work with the new, you say you're not impressed with the fact that my unit can and does use all those features regularly because you guys do and it's not that hard.. which you just previously said you can't/don't use cause it's too hard or unnecessary.

Your unit doesn't use any more or less of the features then anyone else. Get over it.

btw on the last 2 day crash course I taught, a whole platoon of Res Infantry learned how to use the 521 and 522, we did a practical PO where I royally screwed with every radio, and somehow they all managed to get comms, why are you having so much trouble? Certainly you are better than the Res that you hold in disdain in other conversations.

Didn't you say above that a weekend crash course isn't enough time to teach the radios? Make up your mind.

More to the point, courtesy of skill-fade, and how rapidly it seems to happen with the TCCCS gear, I'd be curious how many of those you taught the comms course to could still do the same a month later.

why don't you either pick one side of the argument or GO!!!! away

I don't expect infanteers to be as proficient at comms as I am, because that's not infantry's primary role, but it is mine, you wouldn't expect a bunch of rad ops to be as proficient in section attacks would you?

You've got an infanteer, one of the primary end users of the manpack configured radios, telling you that it's no good as a manpack radio, and you're aruging with him. This is some of the same logic that produced the tac-vest and keeps us with chest pockets instead of sleeve pockets. Think about it.

the problem with TCCCS is not that it's too hard to use, the problem is a bunch of people who can somehow manage to use every electronic gadget under the sun, some how maintain a connection to the internet, but itch because the radio's we use in 2000+ are not as simple as radios designed when tubes were new technology. Oh and if you added the components that enabled our legacy kit to do what the 522 does it would weigh about a ton, and be more complex than the 522 ever could be.

No, the radios aren't that hard to use, particularly if the prime focus of your job is the radios, but they can always be more simple. And it's not at all a problem to make them more simple. Like the example that keeps getting brought up again and again, the 138 (Which as far as I remember is older then the 522 radio design), it's got text based scroll through menus. Nice and simple.

Not really sure what you're talking about when you say adding the compnents to make our legacy kit do what a 522 does, as none of our other kit does what the 522 does.

That being said, throwing a hopping card and a vinson-compatible crypto card in a 138 would only add a few ounces (Or didn't you know that? Harris makes on-board crypto and hopping, we just never bought it). Presumbably the FALCON II series is far lighter then FALCON series.

suck it up, grow up, learn the kit, move on. If you can use a computer effectively a 522 should be a joke.

Don't know about your computer, but mine has a very nice point and click interface with pretty pictures and words describing what said pictures mean. No need to remember bizzare number combinations. Most kindergarten students can figure out how to use a PC with minimal instruction. Shall we give them a 522 to see if we achieve the same result?

If you have suggestions to improve the kit beyond "it has more buttons that Vietnam era kit boo hoo" pass them up and maybe you'll see them incorporated, in the mean time stop pinning for the 77 set that was no more reliable than the 522 (at least you know when the 522 isn't working) cause it isn't comming back, and I would like to think that Infanteers would rather spend money on bullets and training instead of buying a new suite of radios we don't need that do what we already can, or less.

No one is asking for the 77 set to come back, just pointing to it as a better radio, because as somone else pointed out, the demands of a radio built 50 years ago are pretty much the same as a radio built today.

The entire TCCCS system however needs to eventually be binned in favor of somthing better.

I've been saying that since the begining of the thread :)

It would be interesting to see which would be more viable... buying new radios + RAUs now and the networking stuff later, or just binning IRIS all together and buying the new radios and compatible networking stuff now.

We need something that is compadable with the changing demands, look at the new US  systems, they are pity much computers (not referring to the laptop being trailed). For example a police officer can get up to date info through his/her radios and computer system in there vehicle (not shore if it is connected to the radio network).

I think we should get a system that can handle both easily, and be easy to use.

just my $0.02

Erm, if you mean tactical data, we have the capability with our system now. It's just not very good (Low quantity, outdated technology). It's basically just a computer hooked to a radio (the FDT (Field Data Terminal, kind of like a great big over sized under powered palm-pilot) and PDT (Kind of like a great big over sized under powered lap top) are both parts of the Iris sytem).

Supposedly the tough book note-books will be replacing the PDT and possibly the FDT (Lovely and rather durable off the shelf lap-tops made by panasonic. The MPs use them in their cruisers, and as far as I know, so do the MPs).

c_canuk,

You lack the experience to understand my point of view on this issue, so I'll spell it out for (even more) you more clearly.

The computer I am typing on right now has what is known as a GUI (graphics user interface) that means that graphics compose the bulk of my prompts, commands and options. My cell phone has this, as does my GPS and palm pilot.

GUIs are well known to be far easier to use than text and numeric option based interfaces, like the CI and 522 have. As a result, items like windows are easier to use than the CI, even though they are exponentially more complicated.

Now, put yourself in this position.

You just jumped out of a plane with a 110lb rucksack, which contains a radio. You landed alright, found your unit, are slightly concussed, and it is dark, minus 40 and snowing. You fire up the 522 and get a few error messages and a crypto alarm. Without standing up, or using a flashlight, and with your numb fingers, fix your radio - the OC needs to give orders! NOW!!!

I have watched experienced jimmies screw this up under these conditions, so while the medic on DZ coverage just becomes the master, switches channels and configures the headsets so they can talk to each other with the intercom, the guy in the field is under totally different conditions.

The 138 has exactly what each button and dial does written on it, they are backlit, or glow in the dark, and as a result, is much easier to use.

While we often have difficulty with the 522, more so in a veh mount with the CI, we do get them to work, but they are a quantum leap from ideal.

Just because we have a piece of kit, and you happen to know how to use it, does not make it the best item for us, you must always look for the next, greatest thing, because, as the saying goes, standing still means you are falling further behind.

as Go!! pointed out, most people can pick up and figure out a 138 set with a little bit of fooling around, as it's all text based menus."

I'm calling BS on this one

to set up a channel in the scratch pad of a 138 is almost the identical process as the 522, second, the 138 in HF freqs needs ALE to be effective for use, which is a time consuming repetitive process full of mystery variables. Yes you can get a Crypto and hopping card for the 138, however hopping on HF is not as useful as VHF true it has overlapping bandwidth, but there are much fewer channels available on the 138 compared to the 522, and the fact that the crypto card is designed for civvies, and is way under secure for our purposes.

Yes it's nice to read that the setting it's asking you to confirm is bandwidth offset in KHz or interleaving is on but that's pretty useless to an infanteer who just wants to dial in a freq and talk isn't it?

the 138 does not make comms easier, and the 77 set was no more simple than the 522 to put in a freq and talk

The 522 however is not a simple piece of kit, or one that can be figured out without either a manual, an instructor, or cheat sheets.

77 set
1) turn it on
2) dial in your freq
3) push to talk
4) hope there is no problems and you get comms

1) select CH 1 and PT
2) turn it on
3) punch in your freq
4) if no error alarms you should can talk

oh, and now you have the option of med power in man pack configuration, and high in vehicle (or if you know a friendly tech, manpack too) which you didn't with the 77 set

you can also load your crypto into the same box, instead of loading it into another box that also uses more batteries and a wad of sketchy cables

oh, and if you take the time you can program in hopping which was not possible with 77 sets and for large deployment of hopping use the DTD... that sets the Channels up as virtual channels that hop, with crypto even!

if you need an RRB all you need is a little coaxial cable, with the 77 sets we didn't bother doing this because the kit was veh mounted only.

Sure the main goal in the end is to talk, just like with the 77 set, however it's pretty hard to do that when the enemy has intercepted and or DFed your position and is lobbing HE at you, since the equipment to do that is a lot more readily available these days than the days of the 77 set.

But that being said, that user interface should be designed to make the programming/setup functions as simple and streamlined as possible. The user interface needs to be designed from a task-oriented perspective, not an internal-machine-state perspective.

I agree and I am PRO redesign the interface, however asking that we bin the system and buy an inadequate off the shelf system that is not as secure, nor does anything more than we can now, and most cases less and pretty much say that the millions spent on the project was wasted (I'm pretty sure the Canadians requesting these capabilities spurred the modernization of CNR as the TCCCS project started in the 70s), is not going to happen, an I say lets focus on making what we have work, which is going to accept that it takes more the 5 minutes to teach everything about the 522, but it is simpler to use than for example setting up an internet router.

A simple UI redesign could greatly reduce the setup/configure/use complexity that everybody talks about, without compromising the feature set of the radio.

I'd like to see a simpler interface that does everything the current one does without subjecting you to endless text based menus like the 138, maybe the endless text messages are better for novice users, but I hate them, I know what I want to do and I want to do it now, not in 20 minutes of pressing up and enter.

Your unit doesn't use any more or less of the features then anyone else. Get over it.

so let me get this straight... everyone says the radio doesn't work, is to hard, and has to many unused features, I point out that we use them all, and we don't find it hard, and you guys reply that it's easy to use, and you guys use all the features.... right... pick a stance please.

Didn't you say above that a weekend crash course isn't enough time to teach the radios? Make up your mind.

More to the point, courtesy of skill-fade, and how rapidly it seems to happen with the TCCCS gear, I'd be curious how many of those you taught the comms course to could still do the same a month later.

bingo give the guy a prize please, in a weekend I can teach a bunch of people how to get basic comms and trouble shoot the radio and I bet 50 bucks they all still know how to use basic comms and trouble shoot, however none of them is going to remember how to program TOD or hoping because they don't use it... the solution is not an easier (HAH) interface, the solution is to always use the kit to it's fullest, combatting skill fade, the same reason you do range practice and field exercises.

You've got an infanteer, one of the primary end users of the manpack configured radios, telling you that it's no good as a manpack radio, and you're arguing with him. This is some of the same logic that produced the tac-vest and keeps us with chest pockets instead of sleeve pockets. Think about it.

no I've got an infanteer crying cause he has to let go of his emotional attachment to an ancient piece of kit who states the replacement is too hard to use, and full of extra unneeded features who then tells me it's easy to use and they use all the features.

Many of the arguments he's using were heard when we went from the FN to the C7. Every piece of kit we have is going to have problems, the key is to improve the kit, not abandon it in another futile search of a better off the shelf solution that will come with a completely new set of problems who someone else will complain and recommend binning for another set of off the shelf.... and on and on.

I agree the Tac Vest is not as good as it could be, but I don't want to go back to webbing, just give me a detachable butt pack for my rain gear, and modular mag pouches which is not that hard for them to retro fit and I'll be happy, and the tac vest will be much better than the webbing ever was. The problem is not the kit, the problem is the people who are controlling how the kit is used, another tac vest is not going to help that we still have chest pockets, we need to alter the thinking of people who think chest pockets are crucial in winning the battle, and get them to realize that how we look has no bearing on our success (on the same note I would love to be able to have my belt pouches mounted on my left strap, but can't because of the mentality of persons who outrank me)

it's got text based scroll through menus. Nice and simple.

I beg to differ the 138 is a prime example of engineers showing off each feature without thought to the end user, just try to set up ALE and that should be appearant, the only reason it's "easier" is you get to read text and scroll through the settings which is set up WORSE than the CI.

Not really sure what you're talking about when you say adding the components to make our legacy kit do what a 522 does, as none of our other kit does what the 522 does.

you can add a Vinson box to the 77 set but it's an external module, and no you can't hop with the 77 set.

btw Vinson is old tech and on it's way out.

Don't know about your computer, but mine has a very nice point and click interface with pretty pictures and words describing what said pictures mean. No need to remember bizzare number combinations. Most kindergarten students can figure out how to use a PC with minimal instruction. Shall we give them a 522 to see if we achieve the same result?

Actually To configure my computer to talk to other computers I have to know:

1) How am I connecting to the internet, directly, through a large network, through a gateway or through a Router
2) Should I have a Dynamically set IP or a static, if so what Gateway address should I use, whats my subnet mask, what DNS Servers am I using, how do I set these, do I have to set my card to 10 MB/S or can I leave it at auto sensing.
3) For protection, how to I set up my firewall, what if I have other computers behind me, how do I set them up for the firewall, each firewall is different and there are 100s to choose from.
4) do I go with wired Ethernet and if so what flavour cat3, cat 5, cat5e or cat 6?
5) do I go with WiFi, if so B or G? What Encryption should I use? none, WEP, WPA, if WPA - open or shared?

which is a lot harder than even with the point and click interface than:

1) select CH 1 and PT
2) turn it on
3) punch in your freq
4) if no error alarms you should can talk

I have no time for someone who can get onto the internet but complains that the 522 is too hard to use. We are living in an electronic age and you have to keep up or get left behind.

The entire TCCCS system however needs to eventually be binned in favor of something better

like what? all TCCCS needs is a face lift, modify the UI to be a bit more friendly and we'd have the best system out there bar none.

You just jumped out of a plane with a 110lb rucksack, which contains a radio. You landed alright, found your unit, are slightly concussed, and it is dark, minus 40 and snowing. You fire up the 522 and get a few error messages and a crypto alarm. Without standing up, or using a flashlight, and with your numb fingers, fix your radio - the OC needs to give orders! NOW!!!

I have watched experienced jimmies screw this up under these conditions, so while the medic on DZ coverage just becomes the master, switches channels and configures the headsets so they can talk to each other with the intercom, the guy in the field is under totally different conditions.

1) your radio should have been programmed and had a full bit test before you even boarded the craft. If it was, turning it off then on again should solve the problem.
2) the 77 set used to just stop working on it's own too... true the solution was usually to slam the darn thing against the nearest stationary object, but a slightly concussed Jimmie in either instance might not understand what the problem is.

The 138 has exactly what each button and dial does written on it, they are backlit, or glow in the dark, and as a result, is much easier to use.

BS in that situation I guarantee the 138 requiring a total reprogram as when they fail they ususally loose their programming, would take 4 - 5 times longer just because you have to scroll through all the darn menus and can't skip redundant and default settings.

A 522 only needs a translucent keypad and an led linked to the display to have back lit keys... don't think that justifies binning the whole thing... nevermind that that would blow your light discipline all to hell

This is also the time when the backup radio operator should be trying to get comms, in fact your secondary operator should have a 138 and a small bag of spare parts and what not.

Just because we have a piece of kit, and you happen to know how to use it, does not make it the best item for us, you must always look for the next, greatest thing, because, as the saying goes, standing still means you are falling further behind.

sure, but we are in the CF, I doubt we will ever get the best piece of kit available, and if we do it will never be the best build of the equipment, we can't afford to wait for a better piece of kit that will never come, we have to learn how to effectively employ what we have now. That is what we excel at.

I have nostalgia for the old 77 and 46 sets too, love telling the SOP to fix a crystallized handset on the old kit to the new guys, but I know that the new kit is better and keeps us safer from those that do us harm...

just because our current enemy doesn't attack us this way yet, doesn't mean it won't happen, there is a reason the Russians are worried about comm sec and making their radios look like other equipment.

this statement bothers me...

why is your OC giving orders over the radio? comsec here is a MUST if he is.

if it's on your back in a ruck sac and you can't get up or it off your back you're gonna have the same problems with a 77 set. You still have to turn it on, which is just as difficult as the 77 Set, and if you get one of the intermittant mystery alarms, like I said on and off usually solves the problem... if it didn't you are in the same situation as the 77 set... try to trouble shoot but most likely the radio is broken or it's a hand set/head set problem and the solution is too pull out a spare...

I fail to see why the 522 is worse than a 77 set in this situation... maybe the numb fingers is harder to punch in a freq than turn knobs, but your freqs should already be loaded, and it should be the channel knob you should be turning.

I guess I just don't see where you are going with this... there is a reason you mount the radio on your back facing away from you, it's so that the guy behind you can use it cause it's impracical from the front... if you have to use it yourself you should be wearing the harness with the radio in front of you, not in the ruck sac... though I imagine that would not be possible when jumping... in that case the radio should be accessable to others.

Do you get your orders before you all RV?

why can't the radio be on with the volume setting to the lowest before you jump, I understand that you would want the headset/handset stowed in your ruck before you jump so they don't blow off, but that doesnt mean the radio can't be on already.

can you shed some more light on this... am I missing something?

why is your OC giving orders over the radio? comsec here is a MUST if he is.

Uhh... we do this all the time. Situations change, "no plan survives contact with the enemy", etc etc. Getting orders over the radio is part of our doctrine.

And we did it over 77/524 sets too - with and without Vinson. Veiled speech plus paper crypto makes it secure enough.

Look - when you have end-users complaining about equipment, you would do well to listen to them. Doctrine is nice and all, but in an operational situation, it's all about adapt and overcome. If the radio won't do what the guy on the pointy end of the stick wants it to do, then it is just junk. It doesn't matter if the problem is an internal fault or a UI problem or an overly complicated system that requires operators to be experts - at the end of the day, "radio no worky" and that is not acceptable.

As a Jimmy, we (the pointy end) tell you how we use the radio, and you figure out how to make the equipment meet our - OUR - requirements.

to set up a channel in the scratch pad of a 138 is almost the identical process as the 522, second, the 138 in HF freqs needs ALE to be effective for use, which is a time consuming repetitive process full of mystery variables.

I've never seen a 138, so I can't confirm nor deny that a 138 is any easier to set up and use than a 522. But I DO know that most modern radios are not purely discrete devices (like a 77 set) anymore. They are actually computers that control a series of discrete devices in order to emulate a discrete divice. The 522, if memory serves, actually runs Linux under the hood (I wish I could telnet into my 522 sometimes) The 138 is probably similar - perhaps a different OS, but it's still probably a computer.

The good news about that is that it makes the equipment, at least on paper, modular, expandable, and upgradeable. The bad news is that it encourages radio engineers to expose all the internal states of the computer to the user, and provide an interface to the user that allows him to examine and change all those internal states. The CI is like that.

While that sort of interface is sub-optimal too, at least it can be "reasoned out" by anybody with average intelligence and a reasonable familiarity with electronics - assuming the use of jargon is minimized. Consider the user menu on any modern photocopier as an example. The big downside to this kind of control interface (Go!!) is that it takes a lot of time to navigate the menu tree, and there is often far too many mystery variables exposed where the end user has no idea what the option does and how its different internal states affect the operation of the radio - and get any one of the important ones wrong and No Worky, often with no indication of what parameter is wrong, because the designer assumed that the user completely groks the entire menu tree and what every operation does - after all, the designer does, whay can't the end user?

I've run into THAT over and over again with complex, mission-specific electronics (like engine control modules and shock dynos)

The 77 set user interface was very good - not perfect, but very good. The 522 control interface (which admittedly has more to do than the 77 set) ALMOST gets it right, and with a redesign it could be exceptional. The CI suffers from Death By Nested Menu, but that could probably be reconfigured in such a way to focus on the important "you must set this properly or No Worky" parameters and hide the extra stuff, which would be a big step forward.

But the single biggest problem we have with IRIS/TCCCS is that it appears to be dead. There isn't (as far as I can see) any attempt to take feedback from people like GO!! and incorporate that into revisions of the equipment. Furthermore, there doesn't seem to be any upcoming purchases of additional equipment to correct the shortfalls in supply that is my major beef with the stuff. "It's here, and you aren't going to get any more and it's not going to change, so live with it."

At least with the legacy stuff, I could go to http://www.militaryradios.com and buy a 524 set if I really needed one. With TCCCS, it's proprietary to Canada and there ain't no more anywhere else.

Now I'm not opposed to equipment that is proprietary to us. In fact, I think there is value in having radios that the Americans can't listen in on (although we need to be able to talk to them) But the downside to rolling our own is that we don't leverage the design experience from other nations, and the per-unit cost is going to be higher. That being the case, IRIS should be an ongoing project whose goals should be to constantly refine the system to meet requirements and to ensure there are never supply shortfalls. I don't see EITHER of those things happening. And if that isn't happening... then yes, by all means, turf it - because as it sits now, it isn't doing the job.

DG

c_canuk said:
to set up a channel in the scratch pad of a 138 is almost the identical process as the 522, second, the 138 in HF freqs needs ALE to be effective for use, which is a time consuming repetitive process full of mystery variables. Yes you can get a Crypto and hopping card for the 138, however hopping on HF is not as useful as VHF true it has overlapping bandwidth, but there are much fewer channels available on the 138 compared to the 522, and the fact that the crypto card is designed for civvies, and is way under secure for our purposes.

You're comparing apples to oranges here. You're comparing the settings needed for HF to the settings needed for VHF. No one is talking about the merits of HF vs VHF, but the merits of the *way the settings are put in*. Quite simply, Harris radios have a nice simple interface.

Reference crypto, it doesn't matter who it was built for, if the NSA (National Security Agency) approves it, it's good.

And no one is talking about the merits of hopping in HF, we're talking about buying Harris radios because they're better, and pointing out that just because we happen to use external kit to facilitate voice and data secure with the 138 doesn't mean that's the only option on the market.

so let me get this straight... everyone says the radio doesn't work, is to hard, and has to many unused features, I point out that we use them all, and we don't find it hard, and you guys reply that it's easy to use, and you guys use all the features.... right... pick a stance please.

No one said it was simple or easy to use, just pointing out that contrary to your feelings of superiority, your unit doesn't use any more features then anyone else.

bingo give the guy a prize please, in a weekend I can teach a bunch of people how to get basic comms and trouble shoot the radio and I bet 50 bucks they all still know how to use basic comms and trouble shoot, however none of them is going to remember how to program TOD or hoping because they don't use it... the solution is not an easier (HAH) interface, the solution is to always use the kit to it's fullest, combatting skill fade, the same reason you do range practice and field exercises.

And I will be you $50 that at least half of said infantry barely remember a quarter of what you taught.

They're not going to use the kit to it's fullest on a regular basis. Rather then buy complex kit, you buy simple kit. Simple.

no I've got an infanteer crying cause he has to let go of his emotional attachment to an ancient piece of kit who states the replacement is too hard to use, and full of extra unneeded features who then tells me it's easy to use and they use all the features.

No, you've got an infanteer telling you the radio he has is ineffective, and several jimmies telling him and you that there are far better options, off the shelf (You'll note, the forces are already buying 100 of the replacement most of us are suggesting)

[/quote]
I agree the Tac Vest is not as good as it could be, but I don't want to go back to webbing, just give me a detachable butt pack for my rain gear, and modular mag pouches which is not that hard for them to retro fit and I'll be happy, and the tac vest will be much better than the webbing ever was. The problem is not the kit, the problem is the people who are controlling how the kit is used, another tac vest is not going to help that we still have chest pockets, we need to alter the thinking of people who think chest pockets are crucial in winning the battle, and get them to realize that how we look has no bearing on our success (on the same note I would love to be able to have my belt pouches mounted on my left strap, but can't because of the mentality of persons who outrank me)
[/quote]

Or, rather then feeling the need to be different, the Canadian army could have bought MOLLE vests like everyone who had a clue wanted.

I beg to differ the 138 is a prime example of engineers showing off each feature without thought to the end user, just try to set up ALE and that should be appearant, the only reason it's "easier" is you get to read text and scroll through the settings which is set up WORSE than the CI.

As I've done it often enough to have the SOP setttings memorized, I can set 10 channels with ALE in well under 10 minutes.

Given that we're talking about a replacement for a *vhf* radio, there wouldn't be any ALE to program anyway. You're just grasphing at straws.

you can add a Vinson box to the 77 set but it's an external module, and no you can't hop with the 77 set.

btw Vinson is old tech and on it's way out.

What's your point? No one said buy 77 sets, they pointed to it as a radio with a simple interface. And Vinson equipment may be out, but vinson *compatibility* is still required, hence the need for a vinson compatible crypto card.

Actually To configure my computer to talk to other computers I have to know:

1) How am I connecting to the internet, directly, through a large network, through a gateway or through a Router
2) Should I have a Dynamically set IP or a static, if so what Gateway address should I use, whats my subnet mask, what DNS Servers am I using, how do I set these, do I have to set my card to 10 MB/S or can I leave it at auto sensing.
3) For protection, how to I set up my firewall, what if I have other computers behind me, how do I set them up for the firewall, each firewall is different and there are 100s to choose from.
4) do I go with wired Ethernet and if so what flavour cat3, cat 5, cat5e or cat 6?
5) do I go with WiFi, if so B or G? What Encryption should I use? none, WEP, WPA, if WPA - open or shared?

I plugged mine into the wall and then clicked the big blue E. Works fine out of the box. Indeed, I'd go so far as to say 99% of the users of the internet have no idea what the above information means.

like what? all TCCCS needs is a face lift, modify the UI to be a bit more friendly and we'd have the best system out there bar none.

TCCCS needs to be gradually replaced and phased out. It's incompatible with other NATO systems, spares can't be obtained, it lacks a number of vital capabilities, and the interface is not user friendly.

A 522 only needs a translucent keypad and an led linked to the display to have back lit keys... don't think that justifies binning the whole thing... nevermind that that would blow your light discipline all to hell

Another example of simplicity of interface... to turn the LCD display off on the 522, I believe the combination is either [up arrow] 1 or [up arrow] 9. The 138 has a nice big simple button marked "light".

sure, but we are in the CF, I doubt we will ever get the best piece of kit available, and if we do it will never be the best build of the equipment, we can't afford to wait for a better piece of kit that will never come, we have to learn how to effectively employ what we have now. That is what we excel at.

Yes. We excell at modifying and rebuilding garbage again and again and again rather then buying proper equipment in the begining. No, wait, it's just somthing we do all the time... not exactly somthing to excell at.

Again, you've got infanteers telling you the manpack is no good for infanteers, and your fellow jimmies telling you very clearly how the TCCCS system is junk, as well as pointing out excellent alternatives.

well... I guess I'm RTF out of er then...

I'll depart the conversation, have a good one all  :salute:

c-canuck

I give up.

Dinosaurs like you will never admit that the party line could be wrong.

TCCCS is crap now, it was crap when we bought it, and it will be crap when I use it tomorrow.

I don't want the 77set back, or a vinsent, I just want to be able to talk on the radio without a jimmy telling me how I should carry my radio or when my OC should be giving orders.

You are missing alot more than my point, but I am getting tired of trying to explain it to you.

I just hope all of our kit deficiency reports are'nt being filtered by by a yes-man like you.

GO!!! said:
c-canuck

I give up.

Dinosaurs like you will never admit that the party line could be wrong.

TCCCS is crap now, it was crap when we bought it, and it will be crap when I use it tomorrow.
I don't want the 77set back, or a vinsent, I just want to be able to talk on the radio without a jimmy telling me how I should carry my radio or when my OC should be giving orders.

You are missing alot more than my point, but I am getting tired of trying to explain it to you.

I just hope all of our kit deficiency reports are'nt being filtered by by a yes-man like you.

Holy crap, GO!! - you been reading my mail???

First of all, let me just say I'm a big fan of the 138 and Harris radios in general.  But i don't think people are giving a fair comparison between the 522 and 138.  Setting up the 138 as is is pretty easy:  Operating on a single channel in the clear.  Does anyone have a problem doing this on the 522?  Sure, getting crypto and hopping to work on the 522 seems to become an endless task of pushing the correct key sequence at the right time.  But has anyone actually setup the hop or crypto settings on a 138 with the embedded cards?  I'd like to assume its relatively easy, but I've never talked to anyone thats done it.  But we all know what happens when people assume.  I've looked through the at the manual at some of the crypto settings on the 138.  Some of them seem a little bizarre.  Its just difficult to get an accurate opinion on something that just isn't available to us.

Also, i was told many years ago that the crypto board that is available for the 138 was not acceptable and thats the reason it wasn't purchased.  Its not enough to say crypto is crypto and be done with it.  It has to mean certain standards for certain classifications blah blah blah!  I should know better than believe rumours but has anyone heard anything about this?  I don't know why else Canada would not have bought that module!

Also, are people aware that the frequency range on the 138 goes from 1.6 - 60 MHz?  So you can use the 138 in the VHF role (this is undocumented in the 138 manual but it is possible!).  They are compatible with the 522.

There is a problem with the 138 as i see it.  There are tons and tons of settings in those menus.  And as long as people stick to the defaults everything is super.  If someone comes along and starts messing with things it can cause a huge problem.  People, including A LOT of SigOps, simply click to the next menu without understanding what each setting is. Most people won't remember default settings especially if they're just used to hitting the enter key.  I've come across this problem with working with the 138s.  Often CEOIs just list settings as "As per SOPs".   Now i don't have the SOP for the 138 memorized.  I can rarely find a paper copy.  Are you going to remember of those while you're on a patrol?  Many units will have different settings in their SOPs (especially when you start playing with those modem settings)!  Problems begin.

Now that all thats said, I do love the menus on the Harris radios.  Not sure if its the same reason.  The best part about Harris radios is once you've learned one, you shouldn't have any problem with other Harris radios!  And thats a huge deal when it comes to training.  Know the 138 inside and out?  You'll have no problem with the QRT/LCT.

I've used both the 522 and 138 (I like to think a lot).  I like both radios.  I don't see a major problem with the 522 (I do have problems with the CI).  Once its set up correctly, which should be done at the CP hopefully with a SigOps supervision, I've found it to be reliable.  I've never know a properly maintained 522 to just loose their settings.  It provides a great deal more capability than was available before and more than is available in the Canadian version of the 138.  I think it might just be people always see the grass being greener on the other side of the fence.  138 is a great piece of kit and I've love to see more of them but don't look at it as some kind of miracle radio and all your comms problems with be solved by it.  95% of the time, the error is at the operator.

Like you said, once you know one Harris set, you know them all. This goes back a long way too, they have had the same interface for at least the last 15 years. I used the IMRCT back in 1994/95 and the skillset transfers to ALL the newer Harris gear. I was able to jump onto a QRT with no major problems, and then an LCT a few years later.

The radio that is being purchased or has been purchased (x 60?), the 117F (FALCON II) continues with that same interface. Its very similar to the FALCON (the basis of the 138 and LCT/QRT) but is a MULTI-BAND radio. Frequency range is from 30.000 to 512.000 MHz, plus SATCOM. The crypto is easy to use, you load with a DTD and once you have your radio programmed the way you want, you can clone it to another set, over the air. You can throw it in your pack, and detach the faceplate which can be mounted to your forearm.

I'm quoting from the specs a bit, but I've played with them too, and the Thales MBITR which is very similar. Here is a link (again!) to the Harris page, some good info in the .pdf files:

http://www.rfcomm.harris.com/products/tactical-radio-communications/

Its very good that the big Army is buying this gear, I think its because the americans are using them almost exclusively and these are the radios that had to be begged/borrowed during Op Apollo so that we could interoperate with them. You probably won't see a huge purchase of this stuff though, they are being bought up as fast as they can be produced... Military-comms is a growth industry right now!

*EDIT* Forgot something, you could also check out what the Americans are doing, we could jump onto their bandwagon:

http://jtrs.army.mil/index.html

We are a bit obsessed with the idea of a "radio" here, without stopping for a second and thinking about what it is we are supposed to be doing. A radio is a means of transmitting information over a distance. We could use heliographs or smoke signals or relay teams of Olympic athletes to do the same thing, there are certain advantages and disadvantages to each COA.

If we look at how information is being passed in the "real" world, people aren't sitting around and working out the infinite number of variables in the Windows OS, and configuring the desktop to dial into a modem or talk to a DSL or cable device is pretty straight forward as well. My mother in law did this once when the cable connection crashed and I was away on tasking, but I would never, ever expect her to be able to work a 522. (She can program a VCR as well, so it isn't that she is not technically savvy).

Given that we need to access, trade and process information at a rapid rate, would it not make sense to START with the users and design the system around them? By user I mean the infantryman huddled in the bottom of a trench with freezing rain falling on his numb fingers, or the RG 31 commander who's head is ringing and wonders why the interface is 900 to the horizon as the smoke from the VIED clears, or the gunner who is leaping out of the cab of the gun tractor as the rest of the crew wrestles the 155 into a firing position.....(insert own scenario here). A very simple interface is a must.

The next thing we need to consider is the fact that much of what we do is best expressed in either text or graphics. Do you really believe it is efficient (or even safe) to read a recovery request or other "rep" over the radio with the constant refrain of "Say again, over" and "More to follow, over", when people outside the military do the same sort of thing by filling in text boxes in preformatted messages and send an email ? Sending or changing a trace electronicly is analogous to using a digital whiteboard to draw diagrams (and have others contribute) in a tele or video conference.

What we need isn't really a "radio" at all. I have seen hardened tablet computers with built in GPS recievers and touch screens which allow the use of text and graphics, have crypto enabled wireless networking capabilities (including long range amplifiers and antennas), and as a bonus, Voice over IP (VoIP), which allow them to be used as plain vanilla FM radios. If you were really keen, you could plug in a normal network card and attach them to a LAN (VoIP would make it a phone!). The vendor offers Windows, but serious users can request (and get) various UNIX or LINUX operating systems installed as well. Have a read here: http://www.inter-4.com/

Carbon-14 said:
Also, are people aware that the frequency range on the 138 goes from 1.6 - 60 MHz?  So you can use the 138 in the VHF role (this is undocumented in the 138 manual but it is possible!).  They are compatible with the 522.

There is a problem with the 138 as i see it.  There are tons and tons of settings in those menus.  And as long as people stick to the defaults everything is super.  If someone comes along and starts messing with things it can cause a huge problem.  People, including A LOT of SigOps, simply click to the next menu without understanding what each setting is. Most people won't remember default settings especially if they're just used to hitting the enter key.  I've come across this problem with working with the 138s.  Often CEOIs just list settings as "As per SOPs".   Now i don't have the SOP for the 138 memorized.  I can rarely find a paper copy.  Are you going to remember of those while you're on a patrol?  Many units will have different settings in their SOPs (especially when you start playing with those modem settings)!  Problems begin.

No one is suggesting replacing the 522 with a 138. The 522 is a VHF radio, the 138 is an HF radio (Even if it can operate in the low end of the VHF band).

Most of the settings you have to program in the 138 are related to data, indeed, as long as your freqs match, none of the other settings matter for non-secure voice (Even if your bandwidth settings are different, as long as you both have the same window freq, you should communicate).

With reference to the SOPs, if you're in an NCCIS det and you don't have a copy of the SOPs, bang your head against a desk while jacking yourself up, then get a copy of the SOPs printed and bound and kept with the other pubs for the det.

If you're using the manpack in an actual manpack role (Specificly, sans data), then the SOPs are relatively un-important, as most of the settings can be ignored.

a_majoor said:
The next thing we need to consider is the fact that much of what we do is best expressed in either text or graphics. Do you really believe it is efficient (or even safe) to read a recovery request or other "rep" over the radio with the constant refrain of "Say again, over" and "More to follow, over", when people outside the military do the same sort of thing by filling in text boxes in preformatted messages and send an email ? Sending or changing a trace electronicly is analogous to using a digital whiteboard to draw diagrams (and have others contribute) in a tele or video conference.

What we need isn't really a "radio" at all. I have seen hardened tablet computers with built in GPS recievers and touch screens which allow the use of text and graphics, have crypto enabled wireless networking capabilities (including long range amplifiers and antennas), and as a bonus, Voice over IP (VoIP), which allow them to be used as plain vanilla FM radios. If you were really keen, you could plug in a normal network card and attach them to a LAN (VoIP would make it a phone!). The vendor offers Windows, but serious users can request (and get) various UNIX or LINUX operating systems installed as well. Have a read here: http://www.inter-4.com/

An excellent idea, and part of the concept behind the FDT (Admitedly, technology has some a long way since the FDT).

Don't consider it a replacement though for a a radio, so much as an addition. It's got a tiny antenna, and presumably, a tiny power source, which means tiny range... note however "Optional Tactical Modem for connectivity to Tactical Radios." meaning it can be plugged into a radio for transmission...

An ideal potential piece of kit...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back