• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

French army surrendering -Where does this come from ?

luismariano

Inactive
Reaction score
Hi folks,
I was just wondering why some people on Youtube (among other places) always refer to the French army as one that surrenders, pulls out white flags, doesn't want to fight, etc. Is there any truth to this or if it's just something that was made up to discredit the French in general ?

My (new) brother-in-law is French and has spent many years in their army before immigrating to Canada, but my sister told me he does not like to talk about it. Besides he's a nice person and I would not like to be rude with a question like that, so I figured someone here might be able to shed some light on the matter.

I did try to search the army.ca archive but nothing of interest came up on the subject.

Regards,

Pretty much just a French slagging type of deal.

French soldiers have been involved in combat operations as long as any other's countries.

He probably doesn't like talking about his time in the military for reasons of his own.

A question like that would be rude. Better not to ask. If he wants to talk about his time in, he will.

Sorry Luis,

Just typical slagging from no nothings. Shit like this started in WW II with the way some people perceived the roll over of the French to the Nazis, and the later rise of the Vichy French. It perpetuated with the French pullout from NATO, and their further non involvement of other world and NATO combat missions. It MAY have culminated with the direct disassociation of the War on Terror. Hence the moniker "freedom fries vice french fries". It's not worth bothering about. Professional soldiers know how to rise above the petty insults hurled against them. If he is such, it shouldn't bother him. If it doesn't bother him, it shouldn't bother you. Avail yourself of the many honourable deeds and actions undertaken by the French military, especially the Foreign Legion, and judge for yourself. If you feel this strongly, do so and defend your future brother in law with facts that your detractors can't dispute. There are many.

BTW, YouTube is probably the worst place on the net for anything current or historical. It is NOT to believed as anything historical or factual without, at least, quadruple factual checkup.

To the rest. No slagging without historical reference (and be sure no one else, including us, is guilty of the same slander).

Luis is new and a civie(?) and has serious concerns, we owe him our expertise. If you want to add something tangible or concrete and factual, please do. Be an ass, or post something derogatory, without FACTUAL links, you'll deal with the Warning System.

France played a huge part in the First World War and suffered the most casualties of any Nation involved. Most of the war was fought on French soil....hardly the actions of an Army that surrenders easily

Dead :     1,359,000 
Wounded 4,200,000
Missing       361,650 
Total        5,920,650

They had over 8 million in uniform for this war.

Source: http://www.firstworldwar.com/features/casualties.htm

Well said all. And France bore a heavy price in WWI as IHS has said.

Vietnam is remembered due to the American involvement, however, the French fought hard in the First Indochina War to maintain their authority.

One of the longest and hardest fought battles was Dien Bien Phu;

http://www.dienbienphu.org/english/

There was absolutely nothing dishonorable in that war, in my opinion.

dileas

tess

One of De Gualle's legacies in France is small but capable nuclear arsenal.  I would not say that France is known to surrender, they happen possess the tactically important and desirable Brittany ports.

Something coincidental, but interesting: I just looked at the army.ca 'today in history' tab, and it states that today in 1558 Calais was surrendered to the French.
Eerie. Coincidences always bug me.

One word "Camerone"

http://www.mts.net/~parker2/camerone.htm

The surrender slagging likely has roots in that France's leaders settled for peace in WW2 before being completely overrun. The French government then collaborated with the Germans, rather then escape and set up a government in absentia.  Google "Vichy France" for more info.

No shame on France's armed forces, who by all accounts fought hard. They were outmatched by what was arguably the best army in the world at that time. They held out the longest of the Continental European nations in direct major combat against both the German and the Italian armies.

Escaping French and many of the French colonies established sizeable Free French forces that fought gallantly with the allies throughout the rest of the war. Not to mention the true heroism of the Resistance - an indication that many of the French people never surrendered.

This makes me wonder, with today's political climate in Canada, if the same won't be said about Canada in a few millenium?  Our Government's aptitude to speak up against many things, but unwillingness to take action is already written into the history books.  "All talk and no action." 

Will a withdrawl from Afghanistan also brand us with a "Defeatist" slag on the world stage?  A 'person' (nation) can do 99 things of greatness in 100 tries, but it is the one failure that everyone will remember.

the 48th regulator said:
Vietnam is remembered due to the American involvement, however, the French fought hard in the First Indochina War to maintain their authority.
There was absolutely nothing dishonorable in that war, in my opinion.
+1
Some good reading to be had here; try Bernard Fall's Street without Joy and Hell in a Very Small Place. While I have not read the latter, it is on my list for the near future. Much is made of Dien Bien Phu, but there are other events such as the destruction of Group Mobile 100:
http://www.landscaper.net/namstory.htm
http://www.dienbienphu.org/indochine/ankhe/ankhe.htm

Back