• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Freemasonry

In a nutshell?

Consider the source.  Consider the presenter's bias. Consider what the presenter isn't showing you.  Consider the context.  Consider what the presenter just doesn't know.  Consider what the presenter doesn't want you to know. 

Ya know, think on your own.  Come up with valid and well formed opinions, present them in a logical and clear argument and expect debate that may result in debunking your opinions.  Right now, seems you've heard some people say some things that you have no frame of reference to and found a video from a televangelist.

Now this is the direction we should be going!  ;)

Thanks Warvstar you have some very good questions, as zanshin pointed, it just a matter of how you frame them.  I did not know what you were trying to acheive.

Let's all have a good discussion, as this is exactly what this thread was for.

right on boys.

dileas

tess

Personally, Freemasonry is not remotely a religion to me.  It is a way of life.  I do not ever feel like I am going to church while conducting lodge business.  I tell non-masons that the lodge is very similar to other service clubs such as the Optimistic Club or the Lions Club.  We discuss community activities and how we can help/donate.  We talk about donating blood to blood donor clinics.  We talk about volunteering at soup kitchens and community care programs and many other things.  And at the end of every lodge meeting, we have a meal and a few drinks...just like the Optimist Club my father-in-law is a member at.  Sounds pretty scary doesn't it?  But at the end of every meeting, I always ask myself what I can do to make me a better person in my life and those around me.

Cheers,

Clubs or associations such as the Freemasons (stone cutters? ;) ), Knights of Columbus, etc, even fraternities haven't really appealed to me, certainly not because of any religious or non-religious overtones.  Now, if they had a "No Homers Club" in town, I may feel differently about joining, but with familial commitments, etc, I don't really know if I have the time to devote to any club outside of the home.

von Grognard said:
Clubs or associations such as the Freemasons (stone cutters? ;) ), Knights of Columbus, etc, even fraternities haven't really appealed to me, certainly not because of any religious or non-religious overtones.  Now, if they had a "No Homers Club" in town, I may feel differently about joining, but with familial commitments, etc, I don't really know if I have the time to devote to any club outside of the home.

Right.....

Do or die for the VRI, never passs a fault and paint that rock before Pardebuurgh day... ;)

dileas

tess

;D
"I've never met a rock I didn't want to paint" should be my motto ;)

von Grognard said:

Common concern, VonG. The amount of time they require is really up to you. You can choose to take your time in advancing, you can choose to take your time in moving through the various "positions" within the lodge. I had a friend join and it took him 20 years to make any real progress through the chairs. He had little ones at home, and we all understood. We were just happy to have a new member of the brotherhood to talk to and with whom to enjoy some fellowship, once a month.

Pronto

PS: The "no Homers Club in Ottawa meets every second Tuesday of the month. Remember - you are allowed ONE Homer, that's all! ;D

Although the exact wording may be different in different jurisdictions (province/state)...

Prior to having a candidate "repeat after me" their obligation in each degree, we say to them "this obligation however, will NOT improperly affect the duties which you owe to God, your country, your neighbour or yourself.  With this assurance, are you willing to receive it?"

If someone ever said "No" then I'd be obliged to stop the degree and have the candidate retire from the lodge without continuing.  Now, in reality, I'd break from the wording of the ritual and have a brief discussion with the candidate regarding his refusal to place God, his country, his neighbour and himself before the Lodge obligation he was about to take.  Ultimately, if he said "Nope, I'm going to place the lodge higher than my religion, country, etc." then I would have to officially have to stop the degree and have him leave.  (We would follow that up with further discussions, of course.)

Mark

holmer said:
Personally, Freemasonry is not remotely a religion to me.  It is a way of life.  I do not ever feel like I am going to church while conducting lodge business.  I tell non-masons that the lodge is very similar to other service clubs such as the Optimistic Club or the Lions Club.  We discuss community activities and how we can help/donate.  We talk about donating blood to blood donor clinics.  We talk about volunteering at soup kitchens and community care programs and many other things.  And at the end of every lodge meeting, we have a meal and a few drinks...just like the Optimist Club my father-in-law is a member at.  Sounds pretty scary doesn't it?  But at the end of every meeting, I always ask myself what I can do to make me a better person in my life and those around me.

Hey Holmer,
I like everything you're saying except, if you'll indulge me, there's one point that I think needs tweakin'.  It's when you mention the "service club" part.  Now, don't take me the wrong way.  We do alot of good community stuff and that's absolutely wonderful - no doubt about it.  Far more stuff than the average citizen realizes (especially when you add in the amazing work done by our concordant bodies not the least of which is the Shrine).  It's just that we're misleading people when we present ourselves as a service club.  Again, please, do not take this as negative toward the "service" stuff we do - or any other service club for that matter...  Service clubs are amazing places for people to meet and better their community.  Absolutely.

However, in Freemasonry - before all the other things that we are - we must remember that first and foremost we are the pre-eminent fraternity in the world dedicated to taking in good men and making them better.  (If you're reading this and want to jump up and say "no way!  Club XYZ is better at baking cookies, or building hockey rinks or supporting orphans in Kalamazoo!" then I need you to stop and take it the way I specifically intend it to be taken - altogether in one phrase.  We are the;
- pre-eminent,
- fraternity,
- making good men better.

To this end, we use a diverse set of stonemason's tools as allegorical tools to build a better man (the plumb - to walk upright in all your dealings, the square - to square your actions, the level, etc.)  No other group or association provides a man with that amazing history and foundation.  Freemasonry has such a long, proud tradition of teaching men to be better fathers, brothers, sons, uncles, workers, leaders, followers, church-goers, synagogue-goes, mosque-goers... (what did I miss? ... oh, soldiers, sailors, airmen...  and on and on.)  It's all about making good men better.  Then, and only then, do we carry on with some service stuff.

I know to some people this may seem like a small distinction (service club vs. ancient fraternity dedicated to making men better at everything they do)... but it isn't a small thing.  It's a major, major difference that sets us apart.  Again, Holmer, I support what you're saying about the service stuff.  I just needed to make that distinction for any gentlemen out there wondering "hmm, why would I choose Freemasonry over any other group?"  If that guy wants to go with service stuff, he can certainly join us or any other of the many fine groups out there.  But, if he wants the one thing that makes us special, then he needs to know that that's what we do.

fraternally and respectfully,
Mark

You don't even have to profess a belief in God. Simply a belief in a Supreme Being, whichever one you choose. A simple belief that there is a greater power at work is the requirement for that portion.

recceguy said:
You don't even have to profess a belief in God. Simply a belief in a Supreme Being, whichever one you choose. A simple belief that there is a greater power at work is the requirement for that portion.

Yep, agreed.  When I was writing that, I considered expounding on that point but... as you can see... I tend to um... give the long version of things as it is...  ::)

So, now I'll give the long version.  Freemasonry does not require that you believe in God (as per Christianity).  The actual requirement is that you believe in a single supreme being.  I stress the single since things get confusing with polytheistic religions (such as Hinduism since they have multiple Gods).  Freemasonry teaches you to go back to your church (or mosque, etc) and worship your God.  The common title we use for that supreme being is the Great Architect of the Universe (once again, using the building an edifice analogy).

As an interesting aside for any interested not-yet-Masons out there... that Great Architect of the Universe title was twisted years ago by Anti-Masonic folks.  The acronym for Great Architect of the Universe is G.A.O.T.U., (which was written down in various books over the years).  Well!  Mercy me!  Those evil Masonics are worshipin' some evil beast demon called GAOTU!  >:D  Run for the hills!  Hide the virgins!

Sigh...

Mark

I'm not sure if this should be a separate thread or not...

I'd like to start gathering a list of names of brethren who're headed over on roto 3.  Anyone else on army.ca fit that description?  Or... anyone here know someone, who knows a guy, who met a feller, who wears one of them weird rings and is going in Feb?  If so, let's start gathering names (if interested of course).  And, of course, for opsec, the list/names wouldn't be posted.  We could email/PM them.

I'd like to have some sort of a meeting when we're over there (again, a gazillion stars have to line up just so... but, everything starts somewhere...)

Note* I've only got this week and next here in Pet and then I'm off to CMTC for 6 weeks so I'll take whatever help is offered in co-ordinating whilst I'm away blowing up dirt.

thanks,
Mark

Make sure it's just a 'meeting'. Don't forget, you can't do the 'full show' without a duly signed and issued warrant from a jurisdictional authority, which is a requirement for opening. The hurdles for obtaining one of these are many and time consuming (think years)

At one time, these were issued to military travelling lodges, and kept in a small chest with everything else required to hold a 'meeting'. Some of these travelling lodges became the basis for permanent Lodges in North America when the soldiers decided not to repatriate to the country of their origin.

Well actually, the warrant doesn't happen first.  You start with dispensation from the Grand Lodge.  In this case it would be the Grand Lodge of New Brunswick as it will be the 2RCR BG based out of Gagetown heading to a country which does not currently have a Grand Lodge.  To get that, you need not only a significant group of interested masons to attend the lodge but also high level interest and sponsorship from within the Grand Lodge.  From there you hold your initial meetings for a pre-determined period after which you can then apply to have Lodge formed and a charter issued.

No no... not that I've researched it or anything...  ;D

But, seriously though.  that's neither here nor there... I'm just looking to start with an informal get together.  If it grows into something big, then cool.  (But, we've only got 6 months to work with and when you look at the operational tempo that we're expecting in theatre, I doubt I'll in KAF very often anyway.)  I'd be happy with one gathering at Timmy's.

Mark

Back