• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Freedom Convoy protests [Split from All things 2019-nCoV]

Lessons learned on both sides. Doubt the next iteration of discontent from the normies will allow a situation where an unlawful assembly or crimes take place and get them shut down. They'll play it much smarter.
I don't really follow what you're saying. The "normies" were all gone by the time the city had had enough and wanted the convoy gone.

Is Bauder considered a « normie »? He’s planning another convoy for Feb 2023.

Right. Just STFU and do what Trudeau tells you. Same goes for the gun ban and any other decree.
Not a fan of his or the party
Just saying the whole thing was a waste of time

They could of protested and changed things had their followers just voted the convoy line across Canada

This whole thing was a waste of Canadian resources. Fuel to idle for days, fuel for the drive across Canada.
They had money to use, for some this was their one and only protest where their lively hoods were directly affected. That's why it had so much support.
Lots had never driven across Canada so it was their first time. The support they had was overwhelming for many who thought Western Canada was isolated from the East.
Waste of police resources across the country. Traffic control duties, crowd control and the force to push them out.
all protests are a waste of Police Resources. Along with summits that happen such as the COP 22 right now in Quebec.
Waste of tax payers money to pay for extra policing, Rations & Quarters for the police etc. Was waste of EMS time, the cost to clean up after they left.
Wasted effort for changes that were demanded and nothing changed.
A lot changed, the country became united on many fronts from coast to coast. People all over were talking of support or disagree with, it united them like no other in the country in my life time. Costs to clean up and services are not out of the norm for similar actions.
Wasted of donated money, as it sits in limbo awaiting court cases and freezes. Money could of actually helped some people all across Canada with real problems.
Waste of money investigating the protest and police forces.
Waste of money is an opinion, the money raised was for a cause many across the country viewed as something real to them. Again it united so many across the country. The money did help many people. Their feeling of pride for standing up against a government in a peaceful yet supportive manner means it wasn't a waste. The fact that Blue Collar Canadians can raise that much money in that short period of time tells the Government they are not the ones in control.
Damages to Canadian world wide reputation, making CNN is not some we should be proud of.
Absolutely BS, the Freedom Convoy did nothing to damage Canada's reputation around the world. Trudeau did when he enacted the Emergency Measures Act to quell a peaceful protest. (he has been called out about it around the world). He was called out about his oppressive means to which he power grabbed to keep control during this time. Lets not forget he was trying to enact the EMA in the beginning of COVID, But the Provinces told him NO. They needed him to close the borders fully. to which he stated he did not want to harm Canada's trade.
Positive things ( some in jest )
gave some crazy people and not so crazy people a sense of power, belonging, and greed.
LOL
still laugh at the cars driving around with stickers that say convoy control.
lots of them around, I also laugh at those sporting NDP and Liberal Stickers, usually those were bought with cerb payments.
gave a lot of money to lawyers to defend the protesters in court and at the enquiry.
Lawyers have to eat also
Nothing changed, just have road blocks in places still.
Lots changed, just look at how the government is scrambling to ban every frigging firearm. they also have changed how banking for protest fundraising is done. They also are in the midst of changing Police jurisdictions in Ottawa. It showed how disorganized Police departments are, how they lack communication at all levels along with equipment, policies and procedures. It showed that the even the RCMP Commissioner lied, threw her Department heads under the bus. It reinforced with her members how they already felt about her. I
Divided the country in more ways then the French and English issues.
Now dividing WEST/EAST/QUEBEC/
What this brought forward is that the divide was never French or English, it was Politicians. Who provide much more for the East and little for the west. Although directly the convoy did not do this. The fall out afterwards has. The connections many made in Ottawa and elsewhere have longer lasting effects. The people are the same across the Country, we all want what's best for you and me. Many Politicians want what's best for their and their FWB back pocket. Could care less about you or I.
The best part is watching the Alberta Sovereignty Act fiasco. Ottawa saying it is unconstitutional for such a thing and they will quash it. Yet Quebec has their own Sovereignty Act. One of two things will happen. time will tell.

Yes some feel the protest of white supremacist, bigots, misogynist, redneck, hilbilly from out west was a waste of time. Some feel that it was Internationally supported (unlike the last liberal elections and the RCMP secure voice communication system) the protest was not.
The protest joined this country together like nothing else. It had support from around the world,
You think what you think, I think what I think, everyone else can think what they think. As long as I do not directly effect you, and you me and everyone else who cares. When those you support effect my family, my friends, my community expect me to and others to stand up for what right. I would expect you to do the same.

Fizzled.

The so-called ‘freedom convoy’ movement is not monolithic. James Bauder is a) an idiot, and b) one leadership figure of one quasi-faction. He was the one behind that “memorandum of understanding” that the Ottawa convoy briefly got behind, the one that would have seen the HoC supplanted, and the convoy crowd along with the Senste and the GG forming some sort of alternative… never really clear what. But is was a proposed usurpation of government. Anywho, that was Bauder. He’s one of the kookiest of the big names in the Ottawa convoy crew. He was more polarizing than many specifically because of the MOU. His withdrawal from this does not mean there isn’t still a push on some parts to make something happen at that place and date. His absence may actually leave room for others who are less absurd and disorganized to play more of a role.

Now, any event slated for Winnipeg in February is not one I’d pin as likely to be much of a big thing- but you never know. What it may be is an opportunity for those still trying to make a go of this movement to shake out who the new ideological and organizational leadership are.

I don't really follow what you're saying. The "normies" were all gone by the time the city had had enough and wanted the convoy gone.
Oh had they now? I had several friends (you know from Ontario, it wasn't all western Canadians) that were their until the end. I don't think farmers, accountants, mechanics count as fringe minority anarchist.

Over and over again, I hear the same basic narrative. Everything's fine in Canada, just a few bumps in the road, no need for complaining.

Really don't want to hear from another GOVERNMENT employed person about "its all ok". I just found out another friend is selling his house and moving far away from family and friends to go some place where his employment can match his ability to support his family. I had another farmer friend in October I dropped by to say hello and discovered the whole family sold their farm and moved to Beleize. A good friend of mine had to have his adult children move back into his house with their own kids because despite working 60+ hours a week, his son can't feed his family, pay the rent and utilities.

Go right ahead and explain it away with a bunch of blah, blah, blah, long winded explanations. Or try experiencing the hardship first hand. I am still feeling the burn of having to sell 1/3 of my cattle herd this fall to hold onto my farm. What do I know? I only grow food for this country.

Their is a reason this country is divided. Stop blaming the messengers and start holding your political leaders accountable. Many of you are not and in fact, excusing or justifying The Trudeau Liberals total incompetent and mismanagement.

Over and over again, I hear the same basic narrative. Everything's fine in Canada, just a few bumps in the road, no need for complaining.

Really don't want to hear from another GOVERNMENT employed person about "its all ok". I just found out another friend is selling his house and moving far away from family and friends to go some place where his employment can match his ability to support his family. I had another farmer friend in October I dropped by to say hello and discovered the whole family sold their farm and moved to Beleize. A good friend of mine had to have his adult children move back into his house with their own kids because despite working 60+ hours a week, his son can't feed his family, pay the rent and utilities.

Go right ahead and explain it away with a bunch of blah, blah, blah, long winded explanations. Or try experiencing the hardship first hand. I am still feeling the burn of having to sell 1/3 of my cattle herd this fall to hold onto my farm. What do I know? I only grow food for this country.

Their is a reason this country is divided. Stop blaming the messengers and start holding your political leaders accountable. Many of you are not and in fact, excusing or justifying The Trudeau Liberals total incompetent and mismanagement.
I don't work for the government anymore and I am also having a hard time making ends meet without increasing my credit card and LoC debt. I'm at the point where I am genuinely concerned how I'm ever going to get my debt under control, and I have cut out basically all of my discretionary spending and buy my clothes at Frenchy's.

But I don't blame all of this on government incompetence. I have ZERO doubt that if the cons were in power, we'd be in the exact same position wrt housing prices (rent and mortgage rates) and inflation (especially food costs). Show me a policy the liberals have enacted that has contribute in a substantial way to our current situation.

Also, I am holding my political leaders accountable. I keep not voting for Trudeay, but here we are.

I don't work for the government anymore and I am also having a hard time making ends meet without increasing my credit card and LoC debt. I'm at the point where I am genuinely concerned how I'm ever going to get my debt under control, and I have cut out basically all of my discretionary spending and buy my clothes at Frenchy's.

But I don't blame all of this on government incompetence. I have ZERO doubt that if the cons were in power, we'd be in the exact same position wrt housing prices (rent and mortgage rates) and inflation (especially food costs). Show me a policy the liberals have enacted that has contribute in a substantial way to our current situation.

Also, I am holding my political leaders accountable. I keep not voting for Trudeay, but here we are.
The BIGGEST change the government can make is policies and decisions that enable economic growth (not suppression).

Their is ZERO reason Canada can not be a booming nation if we truly tap into our oil and gas. With Germany just here begging for LNG and our idiot said "No business case for it..." WTF?

But hey, lets ban more legit hunting and sports shooting firearms costing more tax payers money.

I don't feel Canadians are fired up enough about their government.

I have ZERO doubt that if the cons were in power, we'd be in the exact same position wrt housing prices (rent and mortgage rates) and inflation (especially food costs). Show me a policy the liberals have enacted that has contribute in a substantial way to our current situation.
We wouldn't be in the exact same position. It's unlikely that deficit budgets would have been the norm. The government's fiscal position would be better; inflation would be lower; interest rates would not have to be pushed as high to attempt to curb inflation. Even a half a percent of inflation or interest rates would be substantial money to most people in the middle class.

Some may be as fired up now as they were a year ago, or after he beat Harper ... Scheer ... O'Toole ...

2022 CPC Leadership Discussion: Et tu Redeux​

The folks with serious TDS might not survive that long without stroking out.

The BIGGEST change the government can make is policies and decisions that enable economic growth (not suppression).

Their is ZERO reason Canada can not be a booming nation if we truly tap into our oil and gas. With Germany just here begging for LNG and our idiot said "No business case for it..." WTF?

But hey, lets ban more legit hunting and sports shooting firearms costing more tax payers money.

Ok, so I asked you what policies were made by the Trudeau liberals that caused us to be in (or contributed to our being in) our negative situation, and you haven't provided one. You presented instead an argument that decisions were made to not do things that could have ameliorated our situation. Those aren't the same thing, "policies that made our situation bad" are not the same as "policies that don't help us get better". I'm still waiting for someone to tell me a policy or decision our current government made that materially contributed to our current economic woes.

Now, to your specific example about the whole LNG deal with Germany:
  • Germay (and mainland Europe in general) have an immediate need substitute their dependence on Russian gas supplies
  • Canada has no ready liquefied natural gas export infrastructure, and it will take at least 3 years before new projects come online
  • Europe is accelerating its plans to reduce gas use by ramping up energy efficiency and the use of renewable energy sources
  • Markets like Norway are more logical to fill immediate needs
  • Canada cannot ramp up supply before 2025, while Europe’s energy needs will largely be resolved by that time
  • Therefore, new Canadian liquefied natural gas infrastructure would be at risk of becoming stranded once it came online in 2025
Look, if you're going to talk about you and you're family's and your friend's problems right now, you can't use an example and say "things are this bad because the government is incompetent" because they chose not to do things that wouldn't have seen a benefit tot he economy for literally years in the future. It's not like if they had signed the deal, the economy would have suddenly gotten better over night.

So, do you have any other examples of decisions made by the Trudeau Libearls that either a. materially contributed to our current economic woes, or b. prevented us from being in a substantially better position today (i.e. would have prevented your friend from having to have his adult children move back into his house). I'll wait...

Actually, older folks on reduced incomes can start to look at the younger folks and claim that politicians continue to bribe all of us with their (younger working folks) own money...

Ok, so I asked you what policies were made by the Trudeau liberals that caused us to be in (or contributed to our being in) our negative situation, and you haven't provided one. You presented instead an argument that decisions were made to not do things that could have ameliorated our situation. Those aren't the same thing, "policies that made our situation bad" are not the same as "policies that don't help us get better". I'm still waiting for someone to tell me a policy or decision our current government made that materially contributed to our current economic woes.

Now, to your specific example about the whole LNG deal with Germany:
  • Germay (and mainland Europe in general) have an immediate need substitute their dependence on Russian gas supplies
  • Canada has no ready liquefied natural gas export infrastructure, and it will take at least 3 years before new projects come online
  • Europe is accelerating its plans to reduce gas use by ramping up energy efficiency and the use of renewable energy sources
  • Markets like Norway are more logical to fill immediate needs
  • Canada cannot ramp up supply before 2025, while Europe’s energy needs will largely be resolved by that time
  • Therefore, new Canadian liquefied natural gas infrastructure would be at risk of becoming stranded once it came online in 2025
Look, if you're going to talk about you and you're family's and your friend's problems right now, you can't use an example and say "things are this bad because the government is incompetent" because they chose not to do things that wouldn't have seen a benefit tot he economy for literally years in the future. It's not like if they had signed the deal, the economy would have suddenly gotten better over night.

So, do you have any other examples of decisions made by the Trudeau Libearls that either a. materially contributed to our current economic woes, or b. prevented us from being in a substantially better position today (i.e. would have prevented your friend from having to have his adult children move back into his house). I'll wait...
EVERYONE I spoke to in oil and gas industry one way or another (I know a few) have said there was huge potential to develop LNG. There is also much more than LNG with O & G. The pipelines ring a bell?

Policies? Lets start with carbon tax. GET RID OF IT!

Back