• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Field Expedient = Do what it takes to get the job done

daftandbarmy

Army.ca Dinosaur
Reaction score
Here's an example of a field expedient method of turning a medium mortar into a light mortar. Does anyone have any other interesting examples of the infantry 'getting the job done'?

daftandbarmy said:
Here's an example of a field expedient method of turning a medium mortar into a light mortar. Does anyone have any other interesting examples of the infantry 'getting the job done'?

Can you say "tinitus"? or better yet can you hear it?

Wow.........

Yakima 94 Mortar Course I was #1 when the #2 dropped a bomb and my ear defenders were up on the top of my head on the right side......Tinitus is exactly what happens, a high pitched whine for about 2 days. Never happened again..much like grabbing a hot barrel you only do it once!

Doesn't look like there is a baseplate either!

noneck said:
Yakima 94 Mortar Course I was #1 when the #2 dropped a bomb and my ear defenders were up on the top of my head on the right side......Tinitus is exactly what happens, a high pitched whine for about 2 days. Never happened again..much like grabbing a hot barrel you only do it once!

My tinitus is permanent and amplifies in some situations.

Speaking as an 81mm Mortar (former, its an arty weapon now). I don't care how hard he hugs that barrel, the accuracy is gonna go to dog shat. He would be better off to walk up to an enemy with a box of grenades and give 'er!

Its not like shooting the 60mm Mortar in light role with Charge 0 or 1 (ever try a 60 with charge 2 or 3 for kicks? Weapons goes all over the place).

In this case, if they do not mind HE bombs all over the place, give 'er.

Yes I have done field expedient things, sometimes with desirable results and sometimes with minor disaster.

Army Rick has it right. Besides, fire an 81 without a baseplate and your digging the barrel out.

Back