• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Favourite Canadian tv show?

Enzo

Inactive
Reaction score
I've been watching "Corner Gas" and enjoying it. Makes my list for favourite :30 comedy. There was a CBC show also, "This is Wonderland" that is returning, does a great job of showing our judicial system, warts and all. Not exactly "Law and Order" which is why I prefer it.

Guess I'm just getting a bit patriotic, tiring of so many US crap shows littering our airwaves (not that the Canadian copies are any better, they're worse).

So that's the question, what do you guys currently like?

Cheers...

Easy -  Truth, Duty, Valour!  Bought the OLN channel just so that i could watch it.

Enzo trust me "This is Wonderland" is so realistic it's almost scary.

A show on french CBC [radio-canada]  called Un Gars,Une Fille. One of the only things on TV I watch except for wrestling and Frasier.
BRUCE

Danjanou - I began watching "...Wonderland" while beginning a semester of criminology. The consensus amongst my profs was that it was excellent and very well represented the failings of our system, bearing in mind it's in Ontario and the system varies a bit from province to province. To sum things up, we had a corrections officer come in and the invariable "...which show/movie best represented prison life?" came up. The spectrum ranged from HBO's "Oz" to "American Me" to even "Midnight Express." The CO didn't really react to much of this, so I said, "this is Canada we're talking about so I'm going to suggest that Showcase's "Trailer Park Boys" has it down; good times, all your friends and the best drugs around." The PC's in the class didn't care for that, as of course prison is "horrible" right. The CO smiled at my reference and said, "the streets will run dry long before our prisons do." Seems TPB's has our system down:

"B'ys, I'm serious, if I break probation again, then I'm looking at 8 years this time, not 9 months like last time." Julian to Bubbles & Ricky.

My main point for this thread, tv's entertainment, but it isn't supposed to be pablum. There's good stuff from all over the world, but it seems in North America we've taken to a majority of escapist crap. It's a shame more of our population doesn't understand the strength's of having CTV/CBC (regardless of the politics/financing issues that accompany it). The recent Stanley Cup Playoffs sum things up. Who in Canada wasn't at least aware of the games itself? Ask that question in the US (population variables taken into account, the interest isn't as strong as say, "American Idol :salute:)? So I thought I'd see what the consensus was for local programming (as local as one can consider BC to NFLD eh), considering that issues in NY are more likely relevant to TO than Van or CA to NB.

I'm just in a patriotically influenced mood, must be all this election guff. I'm going to stop before I really work myself into a rant :evil:

Cheers...

...and remember, the CO's are always correct. :warstory:

Hey what about the oldies, The Forrest Rangers, The (original)Littlest Hobo, The Beachcomers, The Manipulators, or the Kids in the Hall (this one even plays here in repeats). I have been away for so long now, but Night Heat, Forever Knight and Cold Squad are seen here on Aussie TV.

Cheers,

Wes

I'd probably have to agree with Freight_Train and say Truth, Duty Valour.  Anybody know if they're gonna make any more episodes?

I also love the Royal Canadian Air Farce.  It's a classic.

-To Serve and Protect
-Forever Knight
-some of the Canadian   content on the history channel.
-Truth, Duty, Valour
-Forbidden Places
-Zoo Diaries (occasionally)
-MIke Bullard

All I can think for now.

Royal Canadian Air Farce is a hilarious show

-AND-

Hockey Night in Canada (Leafs have cup next season!)  ::)

Trailer Park Boys, "you cheeseburgereatingmotherf*cker"Thats classic.As for truth duty......... I always see the same bloody episode, the RMC one.Hey what about Degrassi jr high? My sister in-law was living with "Scott the abusive boyfriend" and a buddy of mine used to work with Wheels at Money Mart. I grew up in south Etobicoke(western Toronto) and saw the cast of the show all the time.They filmed it next to a friend"s house. They were all losers. The clothing they wore was actually their own if you believe that. SCTV remember BOB AND DOUG MacKenzie COO-ROO-COO-COO,COO-COO-COO-COO!!!! 3-D house of beef with count Floyd.

I haven't seen TDV, but it sounds good.

I like TPB, SCTV, This hour has 22 minutes, and Made in Canada.

One from Australia, that Mr. Allan probably knows, is Water Rats.

Speaking of old Canadian shows remember that old and real bad sci fi show Starlost?

Ex-Dragoon said:
Speaking of old Canadian shows remember that old and real bad sci fi show Starlost?

Well know I do! :eek:

Thanks a lot. It took 20 years but I had been able to get that image from my mind until about 2 seconds ago.

I wonder what happened to Keir Dullea after that?

Aussie police tv shows such as Water Rats ran for yrs, and is done now, as did Young Lions, and White Collar Blue. Still going are Stingers and Blue Healers. In reality they really were not that bad, and I must confess they sure put the NFB abd CBC to shame.

Cheers,

Wes

I'm surprised no one's mentioned Danger Bay yet.  Now THAT was a sophisticated tv show. 

I was listening to the CBC yesterday and they had some comedian on there singing.  He said he was starting out with a Canadian song that is more recognizable than the anthem...The theme song from the Littlest Hobo!  It's true, I remembered all the words.  Then he went on to play the equivalent for Americans...theme song from WKRP in Cincinnati.

I see on Teletoon they have Rocket Robin Hood...now there is a classic lol....

Hey Dan am I still giving you nightmares over Starlost? :D

It's been medically proven that Rocket Robin Hood gives you seizures if you watch for too long.  ;D

Ah that explains those twitches and uncontrollable drooling I have recently :D

Too funny - my five-year-old was delighted to discover I knew the words to "Rocket Robin Hood"
(I can only assume his nanny must have introduced him to the wonders of cable TV re-runs ... ?)

For the grown-ups:
This Hour Has 22 Minutes, followed closely by Royal Canadian Air Farce
HOCKEY NIGHT IN CANADA!!!
SCTV (I maintain Bob and Doug are probably the closest thing to a near-perfect Canadian icon, eh?)

Finally, just in case you were humming the tune but couldn't for the life of you remember all the words ...

ROCKET ROBIN HOOD
Come gather around me
Space travelers surround me.
Hark now to the ballad of Rocket Robin Hood.
I may well confound you, astound you, spellbound you, with heroes and villains,
the bad and the good.
Watch now as our rockets race here from afar.
For now, with our Robin, we live on a star.
Three. Two One. Blast off!

Band of brothers, marching together
Heads held high in all kinds of weather
With fiery blasts, our roaring rockets rise,
Beyond the Earth, beyond the skies!
At the sight of Robin, take your stand,
With the gallant leader of our band.
Send a joyous shout throughout the land!
For Rocket Robin Hood!

Back