• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Favorite Military Film

i always liked uncommon valour,my fav charactor was sailor(go figure)and some of his line's.

Okay, I may be stretching slightly away from traditional war movies and going slightly toward Sci-Fi, but I'm sure you folks would agree that Starship Troopers just absolutely kicked ASS! It believe it effectively captured some of the emotional points of being a "grunt". Examples in the movie would be throughout basic training, also, they captured the effectiveness of combat to "bond" soldiers. I felt that they really attempted in that movie to ensure it had quite a human-emotional element similar to our current militaries.

Not sure if that movie was already listed though, didn't want to read through ALL of this.........

:P

There was a lot of talk about Starship Troopers in a thread some time ago. I think alot of people here missed the fact that the movie is a parody of its genre. It featured silly dialogues, outrageous concepts and B actors. The director admitted the movie was an "upgraded B-movie." But I think thats part of its charm so to speak. I loved it.

--My Favourite Military Films--

(in no particular order)

Apocalypse Now - Francis Ford Coppola film; awesome visceral impact is the number of sequences, images, and lines of dialogue that have literally burned themselves into our cinematic consciousness. "Horrors of the Vietnam War, following a battle-weary Captain Willard (Martin Sheen) on a secret upriver mission to find and execute the renegade Colonel Kurtz (Marlon Brando), who has reverted to a state of murderous and mystical insanity. The journey is fraught with danger involving wartime action on epic and intimate scales."

Platoon - Based on Oliver Stone's firsthand experience as an American soldier in Vietnam. Violent and disorienting images...gives you a sense of how things may have felt to an infantryman in the jungles of Vietnam."

Full Metal Jacket - Stanley Kubrick's masterwork war film. "Full Metal Jacket is a cynical, Reagan-era view of the 1960s' hunger for experience and consciousness that fulfilled itself in violence."

Saving Private Ryan - Steven Spielberg's heavy and realistic film of a mission following the D-day invasion at Omaha Beach as troops are slaughtered by Germans yet overcome the almost insurmountable odds; Small band of troops behind enemy lines to retrieve a private whose three brothers have recently been killed in action.

Black Hawk Down - Non-stop action battles and gunfights, "The film re-creates the American siege of the Somalian city of Mogadishu in October 1993, when a 45-minute mission turned into a 16-hour ordeal of bloody urban warfare."

The Patriot - Non-modern military movie; "The Patriot conveys the horror of war among innocent civilians, and the epic battle scenes, while by no means masterful, are graphically intense and impressive."

U-571 - "U-571 follows the exploits of a fictional team of World War II U.S. submariners who undertake a secret mission to capture a German Enigma machine to decode German documents."

Das Boot - Submarine movie portraying the German side. "Das Boot puts you inside that submerged vessel and explores the physical and emotional tensions of the situation with a vivid, terrifying realism that few movies can match."

Band of Brothers - "Tells the story of Easy Company, 506th Regiment of the 101st Airborne Division, U.S. Army. Band of Brothers chronicles the experiences of these men who knew extraordinary bravery and extraordinary fear. They were an elite rifle company parachuting into France early on D-Day morning, fighting in the Battle of the Bulge and capturing Hitler's Eagle's Nest at Berchtesgaden. They were also a unit that suffered 150 percent casualties, and whose lives became legend."

Schindler's List - "Spielberg's masterpiece ranks among the greatest films ever made about the Holocaust during World War II. It's a film about heroism with an unlikely hero at its center--Catholic war profiteer Oskar Schindler (Liam Neeson), who risked his life and went bankrupt to save more than 1,000 Jews from certain death in concentration camps."

Deer Hunter - "The Deer Hunter is one of the greatest films ever made about friendship and the personal impact of war; depiction of war on an intimate scale packs a devastatingly dramatic punch. Although Russian-roulette gambling games were not a common occurrence during the Vietnam war, they're used here as a metaphor for the futility of the war itself."

Gettysburg - Depiction of the bloody Civil War battle; "this film takes a refreshingly slow, thorough approach to the intricacies of battle. In ordinary circumstances, those intricacies might seem of importance only to fans of military strategy or Civil War enthusiasts, yet in Gettysburg they come across as the very stuff of life, death, and unexpected heroism."

The best part of Starship Troopers was the shower scene and the humping scene ;), that was about it. I did'nt really like the action that much is was such a cheesy movie it was'nt even funny. From what I hear the second movie is the exact same.

So far I'm surprised nobody has mentioned Enemy At the Gates. It was an allright movie not necessarily the best.

The Patriot was pretty good, but then again so was the Last of the Mohican's.

Already mentioned:

Zulu - best Soldiers of the Queen movie

Tunes of Glory - best Regimental family movie

Full Metal Jacket - best vocabulary movie, best basic training movie

My picks:

A Hill in Korea - most realistic fighting patrol movie

Bridges at Toko-Ri - best aerial photography

The Hill - best serious infraction of QR&Os movie

The Devil's Brigade -   best (or perhaps worst) Hollywood corruption of what could have otherwise been a good movie movie

Guns at Batasi - best RSM movie

55 Days at Peking - best multi-national force movie

Breaker Morant - best "lets stick it to the colonials" movie

The Great Escape - most noble POW movie

King Rat - most ignoble POW movie

LoL how about the good ol propaganda movies like the green barets?

is that you john wayne??

FULL METAL JACKET is my fav, followed by We Were Soldiers and Band of Brothers. Saving pte ryan was good but thats cause of  MAtt Damon. haha. NO actually even without him it would be a good movie.  ;D

Shec said:
Guns at Batasi - best RSM movie

Now there's another classic. One of those you wish was on Video/DVD or at least showed up on TV more than once every couple of years.

Forrest Gump:
Done, drill sergeant!

Drill Sergeant:
Gump! Why did you put that weapon together so quickly?

Forrest Gump:
You told me to, drill sergeant.

Drill Sergeant:
Jesus H. Christ. This is a new company record. If it wasn't a waste of a fine enlisted man, I'd recommend you for O.C.S., Private Gump. You're going to be a general someday! Now disassemble your weapon and continue!

Bubba:
Anyway, like I was saying, shrimp is the fruit of the sea. You can barbecue it, boil it, broil it, bake it, saute it. They's, uh, shrimp kabobs, shrimp Creole, shrimp gumbo, pan fried, deep fried, stir fried. There's pineapple shrimp and lemon shrimp, coconut shrimp, pepper shrimp, shrimp soup, shrimp stew, shrimp salad, shrimp in potatoes, shrimp burger, shrimp sandwich. That--that's about it.

LoL CHIMO! :warstory:

HAHAHAHA Thanks for giving me a good laugh today hehe. I need to buy that flick haha.  :D

lol and the lennon interview
the trip to china to play ping pong.

i hear the book is even more outlandish, like he goes to space!

HAHAHa yeah and when he runs across the country. Or when lieutenant dan is in the wheel chair and he gets forest with that chick and he is like "she tasted like cigarettes" haha. I have gotta read the book hehe.

Drill Sergeant: Gump! What's your sole purpose in this army?
Forrest Gump: To do whatever you tell me, drill sergeant!
Drill Sergeant: God damn it, Gump! You're a god damn genius! This is the most outstanding answer I have ever heard. You must have a goddamn I.Q. of 160. You are goddamn gifted, Private Gump. Listen up, people...

Back