• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Fallen friends

Walrus

Inactive
Reaction score
I was just looking through the pictures of fallen soldiers and other military personel in the photos section. I think it is awesome you guys post the pics etc..  but is there any way we can get some information put under the pictures of the commrades. eg battalion info, how died (plane crash, i.e.d., vehicle accident etc.) where person died, name of op,  etc.  if we could post that info I think it would be very nice.  thanks

Walrus

p.s.  it looks like big bad john posted most of those on his own..thanks

While its nice to list who the members are don't forget a lot of these people are leaving behind friends and family that frequent these forums. Providing those kind of details on how they passed away will only serve as a constant reminder.

That I can uderstand and respect but since their pics are up there anyway it would be nice to see that Cpl "John Doe" from "2PPCLI" gave his life in operation "example" in a MVA while serving his country....  however if you think it would provide a negative feeling it may be best to leave it off, I will leave that up to you guys,

Walrus

Well I don't think we need details on how John Doe was blown apart by an IED do you? What Operation John Doe was on is fine but details abot the passing of these indivduals can be a little ghoulish  and I would rather not have little Johnny Doe learning daddy was blown to bits. See our point? That kind of stuff is sensetive and the details need not be repeated.

We currently have three 'Fallen Comrades' threads going.  I would not be surprised if the obituaries that would go with most of the photo's from the "Fallen Comrades" photo section were not found there.  I think that Ex-Dragoon might have it right on this call IMHO.  Friends and loved ones might be alright with seeing their love ones photo, but not a blurb accompanying it.  My two cents.

alright. I think I was misunderstood but that's o.k.  I was just trying to make sure they get the credit and respect they deserve. However if you both agree it would be better without, I am fine with that..I will drop the subject..

thanks for your honest responses.

Walrus

I suppose a "Memorial Wall" could be posted with Names, Ranks, Units, Operation Name/Tour/Mission, date.  Something simple.  The question is, how many names go into the "Memorial Wall" or what do we use as a 'start point'?  Do we want to recreate the DVA lists; do a list of those killed in Peacekeeping Ops; list only those who have been members of this site; do we include non-military, such as Police, who have been killed on these missions; do we do lists by Unit; etc.  It is really not a simple question in the end, even if the end result is supposed to be something rather simple.  If we get too big, it would probably have to become a site separate from Army.ca.

George Wallace said:
I suppose a "Memorial Wall" could be posted with Names, Ranks, Units, Operation Name/Tour/Mission, date.  Something simple.  .

I think that is a great idea, and basically that what i was asking about. if we kept it limited to Canadian military personel and start at (for eg.) 1990  I would hope and pray it would not get to large to need its own site.

I just thought that if people could put a face to a name or news story, it would really hit home more to the civy's of what they gave for them and would hopefully earn them the respect they deserve.

Walrus

I wish to extend my gratitude towards all men and women serving this great country, for those fallen soldiers, and their families I am praying for you all, and for those who are still there, striving for peace, we as Canadians, should all be thankful for our troops, it is the biggest sacrifice one can make for his country, hopefully more will come and join us in supporting ALL of them, I do pray that those injured as well get back on their feet, and know our thoughts are with them. :cdn: Citizen :salute:

Always a great idea to have something to remember our brothers(sisters) in arms.  TSE Camp Mirage will shortly be erecting a memorial cairon as per KAF did when they transfert theirs from KB to KAF
ref: http://www.combatcamera.forces.gc.ca/netpub/server.np?find&catalog=photos&template=detail_e.np&field=itemid&op=matches&value=10861&site=combatcamera

By the way I want to thank Mike Bobbit for uploading pics on my behalf  of Cpl Davis while is body was being repatriated to CDN and passing through TSE. :salute:

Note: It is no longer forbidden to mentioned Camp Mirage since an article appeared just recently in The Maple Leaf 22 feb 06 vol 9 no. 8 on page 10.  The OPSEC issues are with the location of the camp that’s all.  :cdn:

clk320,

Many thanks for providing the photos so they can be shared. I still have the second batch you sent and hope to upload some of them soon.

Cheers
Mike

Back