• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

F-22 or F-35

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fourth Lightning has rolled off the assembly line.

f35pr_080818_hr.jpg

FORT WORTH, Texas, August 18th, 2008 -- With one F-35 Lightning II aircraft in structural testing, two in flight test, six in final assembly and another 14 in various stages of production, Lockheed Martin [NYSE: LMT] added to the program’s momentum on Saturday by finishing assembly of the fourth F-35 aircraft, a short takeoff/vertical landing (STOVL) F-35B.

“The completion of our fourth F-35 – and the growing line of aircraft now forming behind it – shows an emerging rhythm in our production line,” said Dan Crowley, Lockheed Martin executive vice president and F-35 program general manager. “In just a few days we will have all three Lightning II variants in final assembly when we take delivery of the first F-35C carrier variant center fuselage. From the very first F-35, assembly quality has been unprecedented, and each successive aircraft is measurably better than the one that preceded it.”

The new aircraft was moved immediately to the flight line, where it will undergo an extensive battery of ground tests before its first flight in early 2009.

The first F-35B made its inaugural flight on June 11 and has completed nine missions. The first F-35A, a conventional takeoff and landing (CTOL) variant, has flown 45 times.

The U.S. Marine Corps is expected to operate about 340 F-35Bs. The United Kingdom’s Royal Air Force and Royal Navy, and the Italian Air Force and Navy also will operate the STOVL variant, which will be the world’s first STOVL aircraft to combine stealth with supersonic speed.

The F-35 is a supersonic, multi-role, 5th generation stealth fighter. Three F-35 variants derived from a common design, developed together and using the same sustainment infrastructure worldwide, will replace at least 13 types of aircraft for 11 nations initially, making the Lightning II the most cost-effective fighter program in history.

Lockheed Martin is developing the F-35 with its principal industrial partners, Northrop Grumman and BAE Systems. Two separate, interchangeable F-35 engines are under development: the Pratt & Whitney F135 and the GE Rolls-Royce Fighter Engine Team F136.

Workers at Lockheed Martin in Fort Worth, Texas, prepare the fourth F-35 Lightning II for rollout from the factory on Aug. 16. The F-35B short takeoff/vertical landing variant has entered a period of systems checks before its first flight in early 2009.

http://www.lockheedmartin.com/news/p...5rollout4.html

Kinda related to a possible JSF purchase from Canada.

New Aussie Fighter Clubbed Like Baby Seal

The federal opposition has dismissed new doubts about the capacity of the multi-billion dollar Joint Strike Fighter to perform against jets used by Russia and China.

- JSFs 'beaten' in simulated dogfights
- Australia likely to pay $16 billion
- War games 'not real life'

The JSF jets, for which Australia is likely to pay $16 billion, were comprehensively beaten in highly classified simulated dogfights against Russian-built Sukhoi fighter aircraft, it has been reported.

The war games, conducted at Hawaii's Hickam airbase last month, were witnessed by at least four RAAF personnel and a member of Australia's peak military spy agency, the Defence Intelligence Organisation, The West Australian said.

Opposition defence spokesman Nick Minchin said he was taking "with a grain of salt" the validity of the report. "This is based on a computer game, computer modelling of the aircraft," he told Sky News.

"This is not real life."

Senator Minchin said he had a classified briefing on the JSF from its US manufacturer Lockheed-Martin which had promoted the aircraft as the most advanced jet fighter ever.

"I can't really say much about it, but this is a phenomenal aircraft.

"As our chief of defence Angus Houston has said this is a most extraordinary aircraft, it is the right aircraft for Australia."

The multi-purpose fighter would be the backbone of the United States military, Senator Minchin said.

"We are fortunate to be in it and the government should move to make the decision to acquire it."

WA Liberal backbencher Dennis Jensen said he had spoken to a third party with knowledge of the final classified test results who had claimed the JSF had been clubbed like baby seals by the simulated Sukhois, The West Australian reported.

He said the government should demand that the US Government sell it the F-22 which was already in operation instead of the JSF.

A response was been sought from the government.

http://www.theage.com.au/national/new-aussie-fighter-clubbed-like-seal-20080911-4e6b.html

Yeah these are simulated war games and nothing more than political BS.

http://www.f-16.net/news_article2299.html

Possible export of F-22's in 2015?

F-35 is a waste of money...canada had sadly time with single engine aircraft. This is for why since end of world war two canada has only twin engine aircraft passed CF-100 to CF-188. The F-35 is a single seat/engine aircraft, with less possible distance and less speed than CF-188. The F-35 is aircraft for carrier aircraft ( Short range  jet multi-role aircraft ) , they only build a version for Canada and Turkey just because our two country spending more 400 Million on this project. And anyway canada spending lot of money on this project for finaly said CF are not ready for buying F-35 for 2011 (like Stephen Harper supposed to do). They modernised CF-18 in Phase II for still used this awesome fighter in 2017-2018.

PS : I'm very sorry about my miserable english ( I'm from quebec )

(If you had trouble expressing yourself in english, you mighta thought of posting it in french - no one would have flamed you for it.)

Canada has had extensive experience with single engine aircraft..... CF100, CF104, CF5s - so adding a F35 wouldn't be out of the question.

Canada got into the F35 program to participate in the R&D of the aircraft.  ERven if we don't buy a single aircraft, the R&D sharing will be worth it's weight in gold... it is not a 400MM$ boondoggle.

geo, the Canuck and the Freedom Fighters are both twin engines.  The only jets we had/have that have 1 engine (AFAICR) are the 104, the Tutor and the Hawk.

Edit:  I forgot the T-Bird

whups..... smacking myself in head .... CF5 lawn ornament outside my office window.

older single F86 sabre

jimderfuhrer said:
F-35 is a waste of money...canada had sadly time with single engine aircraft. This is for why since end of world war two canada has only twin engine aircraft passed CF-100 to CF-188. The F-35 is a single seat/engine aircraft, with less possible distance and less speed than CF-188. The F-35 is aircraft for carrier aircraft ( Short range  jet multi-role aircraft ) , they only build a version for Canada and Turkey just because our two country spending more 400 Million on this project. And anyway canada spending lot of money on this project for finaly said CF are not ready for buying F-35 for 2011 (like Stephen Harper supposed to do). They modernised CF-18 in Phase II for still used this awesome fighter in 2017-2018.

PS : I'm very sorry about my miserable english ( I'm from quebec )

Your English is still better than my French.

I agree on the F-35 part though. If we are to get a single-engine replacement, the new F-16 would suit that role nicely for alot less money. 2011 is the date when Canada will announce a replacement, with airframes arriving in 2018, if that ever happens. I have a feeling that the CF-18's will (should) be on pedestals by the time the new fighters arrive.

jimderfuhrer said:
they only build a version for Canada and Turkey just because our two country spending more 400 Million on this project.

You forgot the USAF in your little speech. So they are not building the land-based CTOL version just for us. There are many other European nations that are going to replace their (mostly F-16s) with the F-35.

I'm not a fan of the F-35 myself but , at least, get your facts straight.

The current production version is the Block 50/52.  I'm sure if they have enough order to justify keeping the production alive they will.

IMHO, the Grippen would be a better platform than the F-16 in term of single engine.  However, I'd be surprised to see a single engine as the new fighter if the F-35 isn't choosen.  I'd see the Super Hornet before the F-16.

SupersonicMax said:
The current production version is the Block 50/52.  

I have seen the new F-16 block 52 up close and its pretty impressive indeed.

IMHO, the Grippen would be a better platform than the F-16 in term of single engine.  

The new Grippen NG is even better that the current Grippen. I would rather see us fly that than the F-35. The latest production blocks of the Typhoon are pretty attractive as well.

Yup, the Eurofigter is attractive, but it comes with a price.  Obviously, I was talking about the Grippen NG.  I've seen them upclose and they are quite a machine. 

As for the Block 52, yup, very impressive! 

I know it's still early, but I'm kinda surprised there hasn't been more talk about this. At a briefing at work we got info that the replacements will be F-35's, from some General in 1CAD. I wonder if the replacement process will be similar to what the CF-18 was or will we just negotiate for the F-35.

You have to remember that if we get a European product, it means that all the training e.i. maintence and aircrew will probably have to be somewhere in Europe for the first phase. That adds cost to an already expensive bill.

I'm sure it would be cheaper to get 100 Grippens and initial training in Europe than get 60 JSF...  The planned replacement is the F-35, however, there was no competition for the new fighter yet.  And I do believe you need some sort of bid to obtain something in the CF...

Sukhoi should offer their fancy SU-30MKI, they are working extremely well for India and have an excellent platform. Not saying we will ever order a Russian fighter, but it would make things interesting.  >:D

...and once again, an Army.ca thread spirals into "buy Russian kit" madness... ::)

SeaKingTacco said:
...and once again, an Army.ca thread spirals into "buy Russian kit" madness... ::)

As so often happens when "amateurs" become involved.  ::)

SeaKingTacco said:

Why, because everyone considers Russian kit inferior?  ::)

Who said they were inferior?  The russian kit is just not suited for our needs (especially when comes time to deploy.. Not many NATO allies use Russian Kit).  We have trouble importing an airplane from UK on different aspects, nevermind importing from russia...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back