• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Eye exam? possibly wrong?

Rcmpwarrior

Inactive
Reaction score
my medical came back from Ottawa and they said that my vision is a v4 ( which it is uncorrected -2.25 and -2.50) but i do wear glasses and have 20/20 vision with them.. my question is why did i get a v4 if i have perfect vision with my glasses on?

Because you don't see at least 20/200 without your glasses to be a V3 (and/or other calculations to do with your lens rx).

But i know people in the military with worse vision than me and they got in just fine?

Entry standards vary by occupation.  Also, personnel can sometimes be retained in their occupation if their vision eventually falls below the entry standard.

Rcmpwarrior said:
But i know people in the military with worse vision than me and they got in just fine?
There is a visual acuity list on the forums if you search. You haven't provided your exact eye sight prescription. So can't really help you there.

Best bet: Go ask the medical personnel that handled your file.

Rcmpwarrior said:
my medical came back from Ottawa and they said that my vision is a v4 ( which it is uncorrected -2.25 and -2.50) but i do wear glasses and have 20/20 vision with them.. my question is why did i get a v4 if i have perfect vision with my glasses on?

Hmmm. I always thought the RCMP required 20/60 uncorrected vision in both eyes, or 20/40 in the better eye and 20/100 in the worse. Am I wrong?

AGD said:
Hmmm. I always thought the RCMP required 20/60 uncorrected vision in both eyes, or 20/40 in the better eye and 20/100 in the worse. Am I wrong?

http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/recruiting-recrutement/rec/health-sante-eng.htm

My eye sight is a -4.75 uncorrected but i have perfect vision with my glasses. And yes i'm going back to the medical office may 7th when he's back in, i really don't want this to exclude me from the recruiting. I passed everything else with flying colors but it's just my eyes.

Rcmpwarrior said:
i really don't want this to exclude me from the recruiting.

What you want has nothing to do with it. It's what "WE" want. Nothing personal.

but it's just my eyes.

Doesn't matter. You did not pass everything.

My eye sight is a -4.75 uncorrected but i have perfect vision with my glasses. And yes i'm going back to the medical office may 7th when he's back in, i really don't want this to exclude me from the recruiting. I passed everything else with flying colors but it's just my eyes.

Find out if laser eye surgery is an option for you.  Talk to the medical officer in recruiting and see what the policy is on laser eye surgery for recruiting, make sure it will improve chances to get in.

(Maybe visit a LASIK clinic and they will test your eyes and tell you options and price. I don't think they charge you for the first visit.)

Rcmpwarrior said:

What do you mean your medical came back from Ottawa?

Rcmpwarrior said:
They told me they were sending my medical information to Ottawa ,

That's where mine is headed after I submit the eye exam, and the glucose and lipids test.

Rcmpwarrior said:

Your Vision category has to do with your visual acuity without glasses, how well you're corrected with them AND the spherical equivalent of the correction (for those with astigmatism).  If your lenses are greater than +/- 7.0 dipteres in spherical equivalent, you're a V4, regardless of how well they correct.  They told you you're a V4 - the CFRC staff should sit down with you and see what trades that you qualified for on the CFAT that you'd be interested in that are for V4 candidates.  If they haven't done that, call them back to try and apply for a trade your medically suited for.  OR you could find out if you're a good candidate for a laser correction procedure, get it done, then come back to upgrade your medical in 6 months.

matthew1786 said:
What do you mean your medical came back from Ottawa?

Your medical goes to the Recruit Medical Office in Ottawa for final vetting and verification of medical fitness.

MM

http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/105659/post-1138464.html#msg1138464

Didn't you already start asking this question already?

Ref the last post in that thread, the links will lead you to the test standards, etc etc etc.  I didn't chase those links down for you because I was bored.  It was so  you could clicky-clicky on them and READ the info.

http://www.forces.gc.ca/health-sante/pd/CFP-PFC-154/default-eng.asp  Try taking a look thru Annex A and Annex B, then ask questions?  Just a thought.

Eye In The Sky said:
http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/105659/post-1138464.html#msg1138464

Didn't you already start asking this question already?

Ref the last post in that thread, the links will lead you to the test standards, etc etc etc.  I didn't chase those links down for you because I was bored.  It was so  you could clicky-clicky on them and READ the info.

http://www.forces.gc.ca/health-sante/pd/CFP-PFC-154/default-eng.asp  Try taking a look thru Annex A and Annex B, then ask questions?  Just a thought.

Thank you, i did look at that, very informative im going to call my eye doctor tomorrow to see what my sphere and what not is to try and calcuate it.

Now, I am no wizard or rocket surgeon, BUT if I were you, I'd print that stuff off and take it with me; who knows how familiar your Dr is with the CF "stuff".  Know what I'm sayin'?

:2c:

Remember, there is a Common Enrolment Medical Standard.  Good luck.

Eye In The Sky said:
Now, I am no wizard or rocket surgeon, BUT if I were you, I'd print that stuff off and take it with me; who knows how familiar your Dr is with the CF "stuff".  Know what I'm sayin'?

:2c:

Remember, there is a Common Enrolment Medical Standard.  Good luck.
Aha thank alot :) im going to go either tomorrow or Monday to calculate it, hopefully there was a mistake along the way,

Back