• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Etiquette classes in BMQ

mj_lover

Inactive
Reaction score
Hi, My Girlfriend and I had a chat about etiquette in a restaurant we went to recently, as we noticed a lot of people seem to not have any semblance of manners, and started wondering, if there is some sort of course in BMQ that teaches / re-enforces proper manners. Just curious as I have noticed that most military personal I have met, excel in this part. Not sure if they took it upon themselves to not be slobs, but it definitely stands out in a positive way!

just a random curiosity of a patiently waiting applicant  :)

Unless basic training has changed a lot, it will be get it in you and get it working fast as you can, utensils slow the eating process down.

There is no specific class during BMQ that teaches this - however I think that it may be a result of the training as a whole. And don't kid yourself, not everybody represents the uniform well.

When the recruits are given 15 min (or less) from dismissal to formed back up during a mess lunch rush. Including the feeding frenzies of the sentries... quite the sight.

I have never been able to eat slow since. Not a slob, just don't take the time to enjoy the meal.

ME

As a Yong OCDT we were given classes on Etiquette. I don't know if it was because we were OCDT's ad assumed we were idiots or it was part of the training. what fork to use how to break bread and so forth. took up 1 full day.

Like was said above,  the purpose of BMQ is not to instill proper etiquette,  but to turn civilians into CF members.  What you saw was either just how the members were raised,  or something they picked up during training while learning how to address other CF members(those of higher rank, etc),  holding doors open for your course mates as everyone rushes into a bldg, etc.

How ever,  on my PLQ(I forget which mod) part of the online portion had a few slides on etiquette and mess dinners, etc.

Let's put it this way; on BMQ you are the lowest of low.  You stand with your heels together at the proper position of attention and usually address everyone by their rank or "Sir"/"Mame".

I blame my infantry course of 1995 for me speed eating through meals and often spilling on myself. Often we'd have less than 10 minutes to eat and we were the second platoon in line. We'd often skip the lineup and go straight for the bread and fruits table.

In the upper echelons of Military Society it is considered to be extremely rude if one fails to bow and formally introduce oneself prior to bayonetting another.

Loachman said:
In the upper echelons of Military Society it is considered to be extremely rude if one fails to bow and formally introduce oneself prior to bayonetting another.

And that goes double if you are posting grenades into the trenches.

" excuse me, but would you mind terribly if we blew you to smithereens? Thank you old boy!"

I used to enforce manners in tent groups. Please and thank yous go a long way in helping maintain civility and harmony in a tent group.

Beezer said:
I blame my infantry course of 1995 for me speed eating through meals and often spilling on myself. Often we'd have less than 10 minutes to eat and we were the second platoon in line. We'd often skip the lineup and go straight for the bread and fruits table.

1989 "Cornwallis Dinner Special"; peanut butter and cheese whiz sandwichs.  I still love them.  The only time you waited in the steamline without question was for the Digby scallops.  They were worth it.

answers my question!  ;D  personally I was always taught, when eating, even if it is rushed, chew with mouth closed, don't have food fall out of your face when talking, please, thank you's, etc. none of it takes a lot of time (maybe a few seconds to acknowledge serving staff), and your not grossing out the people around you.

thank you guys for the responses

I don't remember etiquette training being on basic.

BUT.

My platoon use to have a yearly mess dinner and the Platoon WO would hold a review proper etiquette with us prior. Being on the Pl WO's bad side is about the worse thing you can do to yourself, so you paid attention and it sticks from there.

NinerSix said:
I don't remember etiquette training being on basic.

That is because it was all "subbliminal".  That and too much aluminium in the mess tins.

Some general etiquette rules are enforced on BMQ, such as modes of address, being properly dressed and comported at all times, waiting in line, being on time and so on.

If you are talking about formal dinner etiquette, you are taught it as a OCdt, and Sergeants get, or used to get lessons on doing a mess dinner on the SLC course (whatever it is called now). As a practical matter, it is more important to get food downrange into Pte Recruits than to train them on what fork to use.

Eye In The Sky said:
1989 "Cornwallis Dinner Special"; peanut butter and cheese whiz sandwichs.  I still love them.

With those high standards you are going to love the box lunches that 14 Wing delivers.

Dolphin_Hunter said:
With those high standards you are going to love the box lunches that 14 Wing delivers.

I heard a rumour once about 'butter sandwichs'  ;D

When exchanging Volleys of Fire, it is unseemly for the well-mannered battalion to hurry, and to not afford the enemy his opportunity to fire in turn should he have been delayed in reloading. But rather, it is incumbent upon the gentleman officer to proclaim to his Foe, "Pip pip, ready to fire yet, wot?" and to wait patiently and graciously for the enemy's Retort. Or, a bayonet charge being deemed prudent, to politely disregard any shat-trousers encountered amongt his Foe in the pursuit of a Rout.

Go here, a little dated but has some nuggets of info that will work well in your career in the military

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=_I8DbHKhWQE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=_I8DbHKhWQE

Brihard said:
When exchanging Volleys of Fire, it is unseemly for the well-mannered battalion to hurry, and to not afford the enemy his opportunity to fire in turn should he have been delayed in reloading. But rather, it is incumbent upon the gentleman officer to proclaim to his Foe, "Pip pip, ready to fire yet, wot?" and to wait patiently and graciously for the enemy's Retort. Or, a bayonet charge being deemed prudent, to politely disregard any shat-trousers encountered amongt his Foe in the pursuit of a Rout.

Strike your opponent not about the head and neck so as to avoid disturbing his well coiffed hair, for though war may be hell, it is worse for it to be unseemly.

Back