• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Entering First Year University

Keirt

Inactive
Reaction score
Hey guys,

To start off, I'm 18 years old and I've been admitted to attend Computer Science at University of Toronto starting this Semptember. I decided that I wanted to join the army too late into the year as the application deadline for this year has passed.

Now my plan is to finish first year as a regular student, but apply for a direct entry officer plan second year and stay in the civilian university I'm currently going to. Now my question is, does everyone that apply for the direct entry get recruited?

Also, I've been looking at several jobs related to Computer Science and I found Signals Officer to be the most closely related. Is there any other jobs related to that field? I'm more interested in Information Security and Cryptography. 

Keirt said:
Now my plan is to finish first year as a regular student, but apply for a direct entry officer plan second year and stay in the civilian university I'm currently going to. Now my question is, does everyone that apply for the direct entry get recruited?

Also, I've been looking at several jobs related to Computer Science and I found Signals Officer to be the most closely related. Is there any other jobs related to that field? I'm more interested in Information Security and Cryptography.

Not everyone that applies gets recruited. Sigs O or CELE would be most closely related to your degree, but don't expect to be doing any programming or software design as either.

How about joining the reserves while in the military? Would I still do the training during the summer months or would the training be on weekends? I talked to my step dad who was in the army for 8 years and he said the reserves is a waste of time. Apparently when he was in the army, they called them "weekend warriors."

Also, according to this thread, http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/104365.0.html if I join the force, my computer skills might become obsolete that if I ever want to get back to the civilian workforce, I would have to retrain to even land just an entry level job.

I'm just trying to weigh my options here. I would definitely love to be out in the field but being in the infantry is not something that is even up for discussion within my family.

I'm just hoping to find a middle ground where my mom is happy (she wants me to have a degree) and where I am happy (doing something more than just programming the next iPhone)

I joined, and know plenty of people who joined the Reserves while in school, got their education and enjoyed the experience. Your step dad knows there have been "weekend warriors" in combat in Afghanistan that have fought alongside, and given their lives alongside Reg F soldiers? He needs to give his head a shake and step out of the 1970s. Its absolutely possible for you to get your degree, do your training as a Sigs O in the summers, and transfer to the Reg F when you've graduated with all your training completed (but only if there's a Sigs unit near you thats hiring).

I recommend reading around in the C&E subforum, there is a thread for Sigs O here, and a few on joining the reserves.

Keirt said:
Hey guys,

To start off, I'm 18 years old and I've been admitted to attend Computer Science at University of Toronto starting this Semptember. I decided that I wanted to join the army too late into the year as the application deadline for this year has passed.

The Direct Entry Officer Plan is for those people who have completed their degree already. If you're looking to get enrolled prior to starting 2nd year, and do training in the summers, you should be looking at the Regular Officer Training Program.

Keirt said:
I'm just trying to weigh my options here. I would definitely love to be out in the field but being in the infantry is not something that is even up for discussion within my family.

I'm just hoping to find a middle ground where my mom is happy (she wants me to have a degree) and where I am happy (doing something more than just programming the next iPhone)

It's really not up to your mom, and if it is you probably shouldn't join yet.

ballz said:
The Direct Entry Officer Plan is for those people who have completed their degree already. If you're looking to get enrolled prior to starting 2nd year, and do training in the summers, you should be looking at the Regular Officer Training Program.

It's really not up to your mom, and if it is you probably shouldn't join yet.

That's what I meant, regular officer training program. Sorry.

PuckChaser said:
I joined, and know plenty of people who joined the Reserves while in school, got their education and enjoyed the experience. Your step dad knows there have been "weekend warriors" in combat in Afghanistan that have fought alongside, and given their lives alongside Reg F soldiers? He needs to give his head a shake and step out of the 1970s. Its absolutely possible for you to get your degree, do your training as a Sigs O in the summers, and transfer to the Reg F when you've graduated with all your training completed (but only if there's a Sigs unit near you thats hiring).

I recommend reading around in the C&E subforum, there is a thread for Sigs O here, and a few on joining the reserves.

Okay, I will definitely look into that.

If I were to join reserves, do they also pay for my university? It would be pretty tough doing the training during the weekends which is when I was planning on working

EDIT: I did more reading and came across CELE officer and found out that they're the equivalent for Signals Officers but for the airforce. http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/26910/post-24472.html#msg24472

Now the choice is becoming harder. I would like a more hands on job. The reason I chose Computer Science is because I like doing the programming aspect of it. From reading that thread, it would seem that they are similar in the sense of electronic warfare, cryptography, electronic intelligence, and communications and network security. Which is the main reason why I chose to do Computer Science. I've always had a passion for cryptography and security.

Keirt said:
If I were to join reserves, do they also pay for my university? It would be pretty tough doing the training during the weekends which is when I was planning on working

The reserves would be your work.

I just finished first year, and am waiting to hear back for ROTP. There is nothing wrong with applying ROTP after first year.

Back