• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Electoral Reform (Senate, Commons, & Gov Gen)

What do you want to see?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
As a rule one does not rise through the ranks of the civil service to become Clerk of the Privy Council if one is obtuse or politically tone deaf; Mel Cappe, in this article, which is reproduced under the Fair Dealing provisions of the Copyright Act from the Globe and Mail, may just have made himself the exception that proves the rule:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/commentary/in-defence-of-an-appointed-senate/article12595437/#dashboard/follows/
In defence of an appointed Senate

MEL CAPPE
The Globe and Mail

Published Monday, Jun. 17 2013

Talk about contrarian views! Considering the current controversies, defending the Senate isn’t going to win me many friends these days. But in my view, an appointed Senate is essential to our democracy and actually, most often, does a good job.

First, let me be clear: I am not interested in being appointed to it. I shill for no one. I was appointed to the ranks of deputy minister by Conservative prime minister Brian Mulroney and I served Liberal Jean Chrétien as clerk of the Privy Council.

The essence of the argument is that it’s about the people, not the institution. And it’s about what they make of the opportunity.

The appointment process is fine, if prime ministers are held to account for the quality of their appointments.

As a senior official, it was always easier for me to appear before a committee of the House of Commons than of the Senate. In House committees, the two sides would go at each other making petty partisan political points while the official witness sat back and watched. Stick to your facts and you could get out of there without even answering questions.

Before a Senate committee, however, you had to really know your stuff. Senators didn’t have constituencies to worry about or elections to win. They could spend their time doing their homework, delving deeply into substance and challenging official witnesses. They probed the estimates, seriously reviewed legislation and considered big strategic policy questions. Indeed, several were expert in the fields of municipal finance, national security, health care, tax law, business and so on. It was much more difficult for an official.

The people appointed to the Senate were not usually professional politicians. They had actually done something with their lives. They were small business people, senior managers in big business, heads of NGOs or professionals with real-world experience. They were the kind of people who wanted to make a difference and contribute to Canada, without subjecting themselves to the contact sport of elected politics. How to attract such people to public life without making them run for office? Appoint them.

Instead of asking them to be crassly partisan, we have asked our senators to be analytic and to take the long view. A senator appointed for life, or at least until 75, will look over the horizon.

We appoint judges and have an outstanding record of former political actors becoming thoughtful and judicious actors beyond politics. People like Michel Robert, Roy McMurtry and Clyde Wells all became distinguished jurists and in fact, chief justices after having been active in politics. It can be done.

Senate committees can be major contributors to the public debate, going beyond party politics and dealing with policy. The Senate finance committee used to review estimates of government spending and, with Royce Frith, Ian Sinclair and John Stewart, would truly hold the government to account in a way that makes Question Period seem just a joke.

The Senate committee on national security and defence was one of the few forums for serious review of matters such as strategic lift, maritime defence and multilateral alliances.

The Senate committee on social policy has done some of the best work in the country on mental health, directly leading to the creation of the Mental Health Commission of Canada.

Landon Pearson’s child development work was exemplary in making Canada a better place. Roméo Dallaire’s focus on child soldiers is a model for the Senate.

While not always do the reports of Senate committees lead to policy innovation, they often deeply influence elite thinkers on the subject and profoundly affect the public dialogue.

Should the Senate be reformed to be improved? Absolutely. But that reform should be an improvement – not abolition and not a dramatic overhaul that undermines many of the body’s strengths.

Appointment is a good thing. An elected Senate competing for political place with the electorate would undermine the role of the Commons. It is the Commons that has to constrain the Crown.

Limiting the term to some long period would not offend me. However, I believe eight years is too short. We want senators to take a long view and keep the public interest in mind.

We should not look to the ubiquitous U.S. example. Rather, we might turn to Britain, where the appointment process has been reformed with a commission examining the quality of appointments. And in the House of Lords debates, the so-called people’s peers came from walks of life that nourished and informed the public debate.

At the end of the day, the Senate’s efficacy as an institution of governance depends on the quality of the appointments. More of what Britain calls “crossbenchers” – non-aligned members – would help depoliticize or at least departisan-ize the Senate and raise the level of the debate.

If some have taken advantage of their Senate positions by abusing travel claims, then fix the travel and residency policy. Make it clear and enforce it. And for God’s sake, allow the auditor-general to review Parliament as well as the administration of government.

Change the Board of Internal Economy to be a real management board and guardian of integrity. Don’t delegate integrity to a commissioner. And appoint people from all walks of life who want to serve, not just political actors and party hacks. Being active in party politics is a good thing. Keep them in the game – but don’t confine appointments to them.

Finally, we should confine the use of the term corruption to what is really corrupt. Bending the rules and pushing them to and beyond the limit is inappropriate and sad; abusing the contracting process to enrich one’s self is corruption. I want to live in a country where our abuse of privilege is confined to $16 orange juice and $90,000 gifts to the taxpayers.

Mel Cappe is professor of public policy at the University of Toronto and former clerk of the Privy Council and secretary to cabinet.

The "appointment process" is, indeed, fine - but not because the prime minister is accountable for the quality of the appointees, it is "fine" only if the appointees do not have legislative authority. Listing all the good things the Senate has done and can do is meaningless. The Boy Scouts and the Royal Canadian Legion have done and can do many, many good things but we do not invest them with legislative power. The people who are empowered to make laws must be, individually, "accountable" and the way we hold people accountable in a modern, liberal democracy is by making them answer to the electorate every few years.

There were few models for federal constitutions in 1867. The closest was the USA and it had an "upper house" to balance the interests of the constituent states - the partners in the federation - against the popular will of the House of Representatives; it (the US Senate) was appointed, albeit by the states. The UK also had an upper house and it, too, was partially appointed by the monarch, on the PM's recommendation, and the church (part of the House of Lords was hereditary).

But it's not 1867 any more and we no longer believe that the "people" cannot be trusted to elect responsible people to represent them - the idea of a chambre of "sober second thought" is an insult to every Canadian. It presumes that we are too stupid or venal to elect honest, responsible legislators.

There is no argument for an appointed legislature in a modern democracy.

Great open letter to the Senate by the elder statesman of Western Canada, Preston Manning.  He's quote from Oliver Cromwell is timely....

http://fullcomment.nationalpost.com/2013/06/18/preston-manning-an-open-letter-to-the-canadian-senate/#

I'm not his biggest fan but that was a good letter.  Good advice and words to consider.  Sadly, he'll be ignored by all sides.

Infanteer said:
Great open letter to the Senate by the elder statesman of Western Canada, Preston Manning.  He's quote from Oliver Cromwell is timely....

http://fullcomment.nationalpost.com/2013/06/18/preston-manning-an-open-letter-to-the-canadian-senate/#

Excellent. I hope the powers that be take note.

Although I suspect that a good part of the CPC base is foaming at the mouth, this - the Senate actions reported in this article which is reproduced under the Fair Dealing provisions of the Copyright Act from the National Post - may be just about the best thing to have happened to the government this year:

http://fullcomment.nationalpost.com/2013/06/27/john-ivison-conservative-senators-prove-that-they-are-no-rubber-stamp/
Conservative Senators prove that they are no rubber stamp

John Ivison

13/06/27

A Conservative senator told me some months ago that a number of his colleagues on the government side were upset at being treated like a rubber-stamp by the Prime Minister’s Office and were discussing how they could display their independence.

I didn’t take seriously the prospects of the Senate’s dozy denizens rising up and overthrowing the care-givers of their cozy twilight home.

The math would require 20 Tories to join the 35 Liberals and vote against legislation sponsored by one of their own MPs.

Remarkably, that’s what happened Wednesday, when 20 Conservatives (most appointed by Stephen Harper) voted in favour of, or abstained from voting on, an amendment to a Tory bill on union transparency that had already been passed by their colleagues in the House of Commons.

The Prime Minister’s Office was caught with its breeks round its collective ankles by the result — it has been telling who cared to listen that passage of the bill was assured. Technically, it was a private members’ bill — the brainchild of B.C. Conservative Russ Hiebert — but it had the full backing of the PMO.

The bill, which would have forced unions to file financial statements revealing political expenses over $5,000 and disclose salaries over $100,000, will be sent back to the House in the next parliamentary session.

Even Hugh Segal, the Conservative senator who proposed raising the public disclosure level to $150,000 for union expenses and $440,000 for salaries (and only for unions with more than 50,000 members), did not think he had sufficient backing to send the bill back to the House.

His amendment was motivated by privacy concerns that union workers who received more than $5,000 of medical coverage paid for by health insurance companies would see their names disclosed.

Mr. Heibert says this concern is misplaced and these issues were dealt with by amendments in the House that meant privacy over benefit claims would be protected.

Mr. Segal said the notion that senators used the amendment as a means of sending a message to the PMO was reading too much into it. “I didn’t get any sense of that.” He disputed the suggestion by some Conservative caucus members that the senators were being disloyal by sending the bill back to the House. “Most of us consider ourselves loyal Conservatives. Sometimes the most loyal thing you can do is protect the Prime Minister from bad legislation,” he said.

This is not the first time the Senate has thrown back legislation since the Conservatives came to power. Mr. Segal cited the controversial film tax credit act in 2008 that died in committee in the Senate. “This is not the first time and it shouldn’t be the last. But it should be infrequent,” he said.

Yet that intervention was under a Liberal dominated Senate. We will not see its like again until late 2021, assuming Justin Trudeau wins the 2015 election (and the one after that) and stacks the Red Chamber with partisans. Let’s not get into what the NDP may or may not do, given their plan to “roll up the red carpet” and abolish the Upper Chamber (though they may be having sober second thoughts about that, in the wake of Wednesday’s vote).

In theory, the Senate is equal to the House of Commons – legislation must pass through both chambers to become law. But all senators recognize the primacy of the House. In this case, they have merely used their traditional powers of revision to send back legislation that, according to the testimony they heard, should be re-written.

Mr. Hiebert disputes that, saying Mr. Segal’s amendment “doesn’t slightly modify the bill so it works better – it guts it.”

Which makes it all the more curious why so many Tories voted for the amendment. Few of the dissidents quibbled with the substance of the bill – the laudable goal of requiring unions to demonstrate public transparency in order to benefit from tax exemptions. Labour unions are publicly supported institutions – they operate tax free and their dues are tax deductible, so they should be transparent.

In this light, Mr. Segal’s amendment was too extreme — why unions larger than 50,000 members? Why a $444,000 salary disclosure level? And why increase the political expense disclosure level to $150,000? But while I disapprove of what he proposed, unlike many of his parliamentary colleagues, I defend his right to propose it – and that of senators to support it.

Small children visiting Parliament Hill have been overheard wondering what the Senate’s for. This week, it has shown exactly why it exists – to examine and revise legislation it believes to be flawed. Conservative MPs are outraged that unelected senators – the source of many of their recent tribulations – have shown a lack of “deference” to the House.

As one MP noted: “Far from the Senate upholding a constitutional responsibility or doing its job, the reason why they voted overwhelmingly to defeat this bill is because the Conservative caucus in the Senate is ‘wet,’ certainly more so than the House of Commons caucus. Indeed, Senator Segal is such an acceptable conservative to mainstream Liberals that he was appointed to his post by Prime Minister Paul Martin.’’

But Conservative MPs are upset because they mistake their own special interest for the national interest. Canadian democracy would be best served by appointing better qualified, more independent senators prepared to revise badly written or conceived legislation, whatever its provenance.

Two things:

1. Any "upper house" (elected, appointed ot even hereditary) can do productive work; and

2. Not all legislation is well drafted ~ this is especially true of private members' bills. It points to a pressing need for a larger, better qualified - and more expensive - Parliamentary Librarian's staff to help
        members understand issues and draft bills.

The PMO's first instinct will, I fear, be to punish Sen Segal and the others; that's wrong; the correct COA is to help Mr. Heibert improve his bill (and to improve Mr. Rathgeber's, too) and pass the amended version again.

E.R. Campbell said:
Back to regencies, or prospects, thereof. You should consider Philippe Lagassé's article which is reproduced under the Fair Dealing provisions of the Copyright Act from MacLean's:

http://www2.macleans.ca/2013/02/03/the-queen-of-canada-is-dead-long-live-the-british-queen/

The very heart of Prof Lagassé's thesis is the idea of a corporation sole; he references a pretty good Wikipedia article, here, but I would also suggest reading this because you have to understand that Blackstone is black letter law on this matter and our Queen is a corporation sole ~ indeed, she is 16 separate and unique corporations sole, each distinct from all the others. As such any matter relating to her succession to her realm is a Constitutional matter for each sovereign state. That's the crux of Lagassé's argument for requiring s.41(a).

You don't have to agree ~ and many don't, arguing that the succession does not, in any fundamental way, alter the office of the monarch ~ but I think it's important to understand the concept.

If this bill passes and survives a court challenge then the preamble to the Statutes of Westminster can be used to disavow the succession, too, leading the way to a Regency.

Justice Minister Rob Nicholson defends the government's approach in this article in the Canadian parliamentary Review.

Edit to add: Prof Philippe Lagassé is unimpressed; he counters that:

1. The govt’s best defence of the succession act is the ‘principle of symmetry’ & the personal union. That’s all the act has going for it; and

2. Don’t argue that Canada and UK are under a single Crown or that the Queen of Canada and UK are the same office. Contrary evidence abounds.

Regarding the professor's second point, "don't argue that Canada and UK are under a single Crown or that the Queen of Canada and UK are the same office. Contrary evidence abounds," there apparently was considerable angst expressed in the UK over Canada's decision to have George VI declare war against Germany on 10 September, 1939, when he already had declared war on 3 September, 1939. This was an application of the Statures of Westminster eight years earlier, the implications of which had not really sunk in on both sides of the Atlanitc. It was argued in certain circles in the UK that he need not make the declaration, as he had already done so.

And Australia and New Zealand had not adopted the Statutes, so when the King declared war on behalf of the UK and its various overseas bits, they were at war. I guess, on reflection, that would have been the case for Newfoundland.

An interesting essay in defense of the Monarchy. I suppose that a Regency, as proposed by Edward, would have many of the same features (and since most of these benefits of monarchy are more theoretical than real, this is probably good enough):

http://princearthurherald.com/news/detail/?id=6c682bc7-76f9-4536-ae01-587ff02fb095

The Crown made Canadians equal
BY BRUCE A. STEWART
27 June 2013

The Crown in Canada ought to be treasured. More than anything else, it is the Crown that makes Canadian society a society of free equals.
Dominion Day (more on that refusal to call it Canada Day in a moment) may be upon us, but our oldest public holiday, dating back to 1838, is Victoria Day, to honour the Queen of Canada.

For many Canadians today, the Crown seems like an anachronism. You hear people talk about "the foreign Queen".

But the Crown in Canada ought to be treasured. More than anything else, it is the Crown that makes Canadian society a society of free equals.

Think about it for a moment: in Canada, no one is above you. There is no "first citizen", no "Chief Executive" of the nation. The Queen reigns, but she does not rule, and all of us, from the Governor-General and Prime Minister on down to the nobodies of this world like you or I, are her subjects. Our officials serve at her pleasure.

Those in charge can be replaced. It requires no lengthy articles of impeachment, no trials — a simple "I'm afraid you've lost the confidence of the House, and since you're not recommending a writ of election, I shall invite your opponent to take over" is all it takes. Ask the Australians: they experienced this in 1975. Ask our longest-serving Prime Minister, W. L. Mackenzie King (he of the $50 note), who experienced it in 1926.

It is not done capriciously — the Royal Prerogative is a power best kept gloved and not used — but it exists, with a millennium of tradition to back it up.

Rare, too, today, is the use of the ancient prerogative of any subject of the Crown to appeal to the Crown, directly, for redress. To "Cry Harold", as it is known, and ask for a decision, when one is oppressed by the actions of the Ministers and the Ministries. But it exists, too: the fealty of the subject comes with the direct protection of the Crown for you as an individual.

This is not, for us, an appeal to the Governor-General. The Governor-General serves at the pleasure of the Crown just as does the Prime Minister of the government whose inequities we are appealing to redress. It is a direct link to the monarch of the day, and it belongs to each and every one of us individually.

When we look back in history — and remember that both the French Royal Houses of Valois and Bourbon provided Kings of Canada just as much as the British Royal Houses of Tudor, Stuart, Hanover, Saxe-Coburg & Gotha, and Windsor have — the origins of both the French Capetians and the post-Norman British royals were as protectors.

Fealty was sworn in exchange for protection.

That today much of this is found in the private discussions of Prime Minister and viceregal representative of the Monarch, or in discussions between the Premier and the Queen herself, does not change the royal responsibility to protect, preserve, defend each subject, not merely those in charge.

Our Queen, of course, is Queen of Canada in her own right. She may be shared with fifteen other countries, but if all of them converted to republics tomorrow we would still be a Monarchy. She remains and serves us as our Head of State (the Governor-General is her representative, but not the "Canadian Head of State", no matter how much the two previous Governors-General would have had it otherwise). She is shared, too, with each of the provinces, of which she is Queen separately from being Queen of the Dominion, and in each the Lieutenant-Governor represents her.

It is easy to forget, in a world that celebrates the CEOs of companies, that loves the big for its own sake, and that gives primacy of place to the politician, that all of them in this country rest under the Crown. But I never do: under the Crown, I am their equal. My voice, my thoughts, my freedoms are as valuable as theirs.

When telling history, we tend to prefer sharp breaks, fresh starts, new beginnings over the slow evolution inherent in the long haul of life. Instead, look to the continuity, a world where decrees from the time when monarchs ruled are still fresh and valid — a steady building out of common sense of a common practice proven over time.

Remember, as well, that in two more years we will celebrate the 800th anniversary of Magna Carta, when the balance between Crown and people was first struck into law. That remains the law of this land as much as whatever the latest bill to pass through the Commons and the Senate to gain Royal Assent is.

As more and more of our lives moves to local communities, focusing on solving our own problems, in the face of the troubled times that lie ahead, it will be the Crown that reminds me that my little corner of the world is also part of a great sweep of time and space, long after the other players and institutions of today have faded from daily view.

This is why the first of July will remain Dominion Day, and not ever be referred to by me as Canada Day.

When our Fathers of Confederation created the notion of a shared Crown and separate Parliament, the original term they wanted was “Kingdom of Canada”. But there was a concern that using that term might set off the Americans — and a knowledge that at the time we could not have defended against the Union Army marching north.

So they invented the term “Dominion” to refer to a shared Crown, and the “Dominion of Canada” we became.

Dominion — as those who’ve looked at Psalm 72, from whence our national motto a mari usque ad mare comes from — refers to the bonds of time, and the bonds of stewardship. It does not claim we should simply take and reshape, but that we are connected in time, from the past to the future.

You see it in who we are, and how we live differently here in North America than our neighbours to the south. For all the things that are the same, it is this sense of being bound to time inherent in who we are that makes “Dominion” the label that best signifies who we are, and thus Dominion Day the best way to refer to our country’s national holiday.

That this was taken from us on a Friday afternoon in a Commons that barely held a quorum, and that, in violation of all rules of procedure, all three readings were rushed through, the bill shipped to the Senate for a similar rush approval, and the paper taken immediately to Rideau Hall for Royal Assent is a national disgrace.

That this mockery of our history was nevertheless signed into law shows the delicate balance of Crown and Parliament at work — that even mistakes have their part to pay in the tapestry of history.

Sir Issac Newton once said “if I have seen farther, it is because I stand on the shoulders of giants”. You do, too. This Dominion Day, give a Loyal Toast to your Crown and your Country.

You are who you are because of all those who have come before you — and all those to come await your part in making this Dominion from Sea to Sea.

The Canadian Taxpayer's Assn. put on a show yesterday in Ottawa.  Love it. 

Video at story link.  http://thechronicleherald.ca/canada/1142954-giant-duffy-shaped-balloon-kicks-off-senate-referendum-campaign

Giant Duffy-shaped balloon kicks off Senate referendum campaignJuly 18, 2013 - 3:26pm By THE CANADIAN PRESS
It’s part Goodyear Blimp and part Stay Puft Marshmallow Man, all rolled into one enormously inflatable symbol of Senate excess.

Meet Mike Duffy — in balloon form.

The beleaguered senator from Prince Edward Island was rendered as a two-and-a-half-storey blow-up doll for the Canadian Taxpayers Federation’s campaign to hold a referendum on the fate of the upper chamber.

Spokesman Gregory Thomas was clad as a carnival barker — complete with cane and flat-top hat — as the big Duffy balloon lurched to life by the shores of the Ottawa River.

“Step right up, ladies! Step right up, gentlemen!” Thomas shouted. “Come and see the senator who nearly ate a government.”

As he spoke, men holding ropes laboured to keep the swaying Duffy doppelganger and its overflowing briefcase of cash from toppling into the water and floating away.

“Two thousand, one hundred and fifty cubic feet of hot air, with a grossly inflated sense of his own self-importance, and a giant bag of taxpayer money,” Thomas said, later adding the big balloon cost his group $4,700.

Thomas says Canadian voters ought to have a chance to decide whether the Senate should be reformed or abolished altogether during the next federal election.

“We believe that every Canadian voter should decide the future of the Canadian Senate — not politicians, not judges and certainly not the unelected senators themselves,” he said.

Duffy is being investigated by the Mounties over his improperly claimed Senate expenses and for accepting a $90,000 cheque from Prime Minister Stephen Harper’s top aide.

Former chief of staff Nigel Wright quit after word leaked that he cut Duffy the cheque to allow him to pay back invalid housing allowance and expense claims.

The senator did not respond to an email asking how he felt about the stunt. He has also been lampooned on Prince Edward Island, where popular “Stuff the Duff” T-shirts depict him being dumped head-first into a trash can.

Duffy is one of four senators whose spending has put them in the hot seat. Pamela Wallin, Mac Harb and Patrick Brazeau are also under the microscope.

Lord Black weighs in Senate reform...and comes up with an unprecedented number of 180 Senators drawn from around 3 categories/groups.

National Post link

Conrad Black: Reimagining the Canadian Senate

The recent discussion over Canada’s Senate has tended to be a rather sterile exchange about whether it should be abolished or elected. Neither is the correct answer.

The fathers of Confederation created the Senate as a gesture of federalist representation and provincial rights, inspired to some degree by the United States Senate; and as a gesture toward an elevated (though not ennobled) house, borrowing something from the British House of Lords. In other words, it was rather haphazardly conceived to address a pastiche of concerns, and could never reasonably have been expected to accomplish any of them fully. Senate exponents generally have been reduced to rather tired pieties about “a sober second thought.” That has some validity, but as a raison d’être, it underachieves on what a House of Parliament in this vital country could accomplish.

As the United States was founded by a group of colonies that had achieved their independence by recourse to war, joining into one federal country, there was the challenge of uniting the demographic weight of the different affiliating states to reflect their relative populations, with the need to recognize that they were coming together as autonomous jurisdictions whose equal sovereignty had to be reflected also. The result was a bicameral scheme, comprising the House of Representatives and the Senate.

The former is composed of districts that are adjusted after each census with all having approximately equal numbers of voters (as the U.S. population has grown, the size of these districts has grown to about 750,000, or seven times the average Canadian or British Parliamentary constituency). The latter is composed of two senators from each state regardless of population. These senators were elected by state legislatures prior to 1913, when, by constitutional amendment, selection was changed to direct election. But even before this change, there were often popular elections in practice, as prominent candidates campaigned for state legislators who were pledged, in turn, to vote for them as U.S. senators. The most famous such race was that between Abraham Lincoln and Stephen A. Douglas in Illinois in 1858.

House of Lords debates are excruciatingly courteous — and feature none of the barnyard noises, and other forms of infantilism, to be found in most elected chambers

The British House of Lords, by contrast, is the ancient perch of the nobility, and was a hereditary chamber until fairly recently. The notion that nobility was a state that, once achieved, was permanent in a family as long as it procreated, has vanished and been replaced by a concept of meritocracy. People are named to the House of Lords because they are deemed to be figures of distinguished stature. Thus there are the former defense chiefs and senior politicians, the heads of the great corporations and universities and labour unions, writers such as P.D. James, musical figures such as the late Yehudi Menuhin and Andrew Lloyd Weber, leading ecclesiastics, including the principal Anglican bishops and the chief rabbi, distinguished historians and other academics such as Hugh Thomas and Asa Briggs, and Robert Skidelsky, and leaders from the learned professions such as the architect Norman Foster and some of the country’s leading barristers and scientists, practically everyone an accomplished person in some field. The debates of the House of Lords on serious subjects are the highest quality deliberations of any legislative forum in the world (as I know from having participated in them). And they are also excruciatingly courteously conducted and have none of the barnyard noises and other forms of infantilism of most elected chambers. The members of the House of Lords are unpaid, unless they play a specific official role, and are not bound to any sort of geographically defined constituency.

To the extent the Canadian Senate was modeled on the House of Lords, it was rolled back from a life appointment to an obligatory retirement at 75. Both the French and the British tried half-heartedly to entrench a system of nobility in colonial Canada, but the Seigneurial system was really just a method of tenant-farming with an obligation to clear the land and an option to buy it for the tenant, a commercial arrangement that was self-limiting in time. And British ideas for the institutionalization of a Canadian nobility in the Constitution Act of 1791, sponsored by Lord Grenville, the foreign secretary, were discarded at the suggestion of Lord Dorchester (Sir Guy Carleton), chief author of the Quebec Act (1774) and twice governor of Quebec, who said that any such arrangement would be inimical to the egalitarian and relatively informal nature of Canadians, French and English-speaking alike.

The current hostility that the perceived conduct of some senators has caused toward the Senate is unjust, as public annoyance should properly be directed against the individual senators without impugning the chamber itself. What we should do is remake the Senate with a defined purpose that is clearer and more feasible than the original, hurried arrangements.

The suggestions for modification at the time of the Meech Lake discussions in the early 1990s had some merit, as it was proposed to have some of the senators appointed by the provinces. This partly simulated the original American concept, whereby senators were to some extent representatives to the national government from the local interests each represented. (This is the system in Germany, where the upper house of the legislature, the Bundesrat, is composed of members named by the constituent states of Germany.)

It is impossible to see how an elected Canadian Senate would work, as the House of Commons will not surrender any powers. And if the Senate did not assume greater powers, serious people would not go to the trouble of seeking election to it (many current and recent senators, by contrast, are people of some stature). And so we would be left with the worst of both worlds: a jurisdictionally enfeebled senate inhabited by non-entities.

I suggest an appointive Senate of unchanged powers and expanded size, 150 or even 180 senators, composed of three equal groups: (1) federally appointed, more or less as they are now, but with a requirement to clear a general but not vertiginous hurdle of career distinction; (2) a provincially appointed group of equal size, with the same personal criteria, and allocated according to the population of each province; and (3) the last third appointed by a commission of joint federal-provincial composition that would seek the 50 or 60 most distinguished Canadians of all serious occupations.

This would sharply raise the prestige of the Senate, and enhance the character of its discussions. There would be a contingent of independent senators, crossbenchers as they are called in the House of Lords, and this would make proceedings more interesting. Parties out of power in Ottawa and the provinces would have some ability to name senators, as the opposition parties do to the House of Lords.

Moreover, the compulsory retirement should be ended, as people are living longer, and many are competent well past 75. Senators should be appointed for renewable six year terms, but only for two years at a time from the age of 80 onward.

This Senate isn’t working well, but a remodeled one could. And reforming it would be both useful and inspiriting to the country as a whole.

The return of pips and crowns (and, I guess, the birth of what'shisname in London) has set the pundits to debating the future of the monarchy. John Ibbitson explains why it's here to stay, because of a rigid written Constitution, in this article which is reproduced under the fair Dealing provisions of the Copyright Act from the Globe and Mail:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/politics/globe-politics-insider/sorry-republicans-the-monarchy-is-here-to-stay/article13359833/#dashboard/follows/
images

Sorry, republicans, the monarchy is here to stay

SUBSCRIBERS ONLY

John Ibbitson
The Globe and Mail

Published Tuesday, Jul. 23 2013

The birth of a son to William and Kate has revived the febrile debate over whether the king or queen of the United Kingdom should also be the Canadian head of state. But the debate, frankly, is pointless. Canada will always be a constitutional monarchy, because there is no way to dispense with the monarch.

This will not come as welcome news to those who are mounting a court challenge to the law that requires new citizens to swear an oath of loyalty to the Queen. It will provide no solace to those who agreed with the resolution at a recent Macdonald-Laurier Institute debate that “the monarchy is a dangerous anachronism.”

And it will not please the folks at Citizens for a Canadian Republic. For Tom Freda, its director, Monday’s royal birth offered an unwelcome reminder that “Canada’s head of state is chosen through bloodline, and not through any input at all, democratically or otherwise, from Canadians.

“…A lot of Canadians are asking: ‘why can’t we have a say in who becomes Canadian head of state?’” he maintained in an interview.

The Canadian public is ambivalent about the institution. A 2012 Ipsos Reid poll had 46 per cent of Canadians agreeing with the statement: “the constitutional monarchy is outdated,” and that they would “prefer a republic system of government with an elected head of state, like they do in the United States.” But 54 per cent disagreed.

These numbers, however, fluctuate based on the latest wedding, baby or scandal.

So it is possible that a politician dedicated to eliminating the monarchy could get elected prime minister. Once in office, however, he or she would come up against the impenetrable defences embedded in the Constitution to protect the Crown.

First, both Houses of Parliament would have to pass a constitutional amendment declaring that the king or queen of the United Kingdom is no longer the king or queen of Canada. Then all 10 provincial legislatures would need to pass the same amendment, and the Supreme Court would have to uphold its constitutionality.

But that’s only the beginning. Canada would now have no head of state—no office that embodied the sovereignty of the Canadian nation and people.

The office of governor general could be converted to that of a ceremonial president. But the Prime Minister now effectively appoints and--perhaps even more important--removes the governor general, by advising the Queen.

We can hardly have the head of government hiring and firing the head of state. Perhaps the president would be elected, or appointed by Parliament. But then what would you do about the lieutenant governors in all the provinces, who are effectively appointed by the prime minister and who represent the Crown in the legislatures?

Which illustrates the larger point: The monarchy is not simply a paragraph that can be neatly excised through a constitutional amendment. It permeates the Constitution, written and unwritten, as a founding assumption.

“You’d have to employ an awful lot of lawyers for an awfully long time to identify every constitutionally related document in which the word “crown” appears,” observes the constitutional scholar Ned Franks. “And then you’d have to ask ‘what are you going to replace it with, and does that work?’”

Meanwhile, he predicts, the provinces would be taking advantage of such wholesale constitutional reconstruction to obtain more powers, with Quebec leading the charge.

“I’ve always subscribed to the theory that if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it,” said Robert Finch, Dominion Chairman of the Monarchist League of Canada. “And I don’t think the monarchy is broken.”

Only one thing could convert this constitutional impossibility into a possibility: united, sustained, national revulsion toward the monarch.

Canadians, in other words, will never abolish the monarchy unless Charles, William or the new lad force them to.

John Ibbitson is The Globe's chief political writer in Ottawa.

This gives me a chance to beat two of my favourite  :deadhorse:

1. The silliness of written constitutions, in general, and the Constitution Act of 1982 in particular; and

2. A regency.

The single most important bits in the Constitution Acts of 1867 and 1982 are the two dates: 1867 and 1982. Both documents are accurate reflections of the political imperatives of their times ~ one is high Victorian document that reflect's a still prevailing mistrust of democracy in the hands of the great unwashed, the other reflects the political priorities of one man: Pierre Trudeau. Neither accomplishes very much of import. The 1867 Act is useful in apportioning responsibilities to the national and provincial governments (§91 ff), but that could have been done by a simpler act. There nothing, beyond minority language rights, in the 1982 Act that would not have been here anyway. Our rights and freedoms are, pretty much, the same as in e.g. Britain ~ a country without a written constitution of any sort. The Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms is, essentially, redundant rubbish.

Had we had a man with the brains the gods gave to green peppers in our highest political office circa 1982 he would have asked the British Parliament (Margaret Thatcher was PM at the time) to do one simple thing: repeal the BNA Act. We do, indeed, need a law that defines the divisions of responsibilities between the federal and provincial governments, but it should be a Canadian law passed by a Canadian parliament and by ten legislative assemblies ~messy, but Canadian. We do not need - no country needs - a written constitution. People like the Americans and the French venerate their, even as they amend them beyond all recognition or, simply, toss them aside when they are inconvenient. Would any country have challenged our right to exist, our right to out lands and waters, our right to act in the worls just because we didn't have a warmed over piece of 19th century British legislation as our constitution? Of course not!

I have prattled on, over and over again, about a regency ~ it's the form of government a monarchy (which Ibbitson says we are bound to remain) has when the anointed monarch is unfit or otherwise unable to serve. I suggest that, on the sad day when our most gracious sovereign lady Queen Elizabeth passes away, that's what we should have. We ought not to recognize the various and sundry acts of settlement and succession from about 300 years ago ~ and we ought to tell her Majesty and her heirs and successors that we don't recognize them ~ and we ought to appoint a regent on that sad day: the serving governor general. The first act of that serving governor general-regent should be to devise a way for parliament to 'elect' his (or her) successor, taking us all the way back to the Anglo-Saxon/Danish period of British constitutional history, 1300 years ago, when the Witenagemot (usually just Witan) to choose the sovereign from amongst qualified candidates.

A monarchy can be a very adaptable thing, and it can mean whatever your country needs it to be. In the 1940's the army of George VI, King of India, fought a very nasty war with the army of George VI, King of Pakistan. For a period early in their independence, Rhodesia claimed loyalty to Elizabeth II, Queen of Rhodesia, despite her not using or accepting the title.

I don't know of another system of government that is that flexible and adaptable.

I see some pitfalls to having a democratically elected Senate and defacto head of state as the institutions are currently constituted. Both institutions have an effective and absolute veto under our current constitutional order, the constraining factor is convention. The reason this convention has evolved it because neither the Senate nor the Governor General are elected.  If either of these institutions are democratically legitimised, the office holders would likely feel free to block action by the government of the day. Our system of government would likely devolve into a level of gridlock beyond anything seen in the United States. Before we can begin to think of electing a Senate or a defacto head of state, we would need to create a override procedure to allow the House of Commons to retain ultimate authority.  This of course would require a constitutional amendment, which given the inflexibility of the current document, will not happen.  So to summarise I think that attempting a back door change to our current institutions would result in some unintended consequences and it is likely safer to leave well enough alone. 

tomydoom said:
I see some pitfalls to having a democratically elected Senate and defacto head of state as the institutions are currently constituted. Both institutions have an effective and absolute veto under our current constitutional order, the constraining factor is convention. The reason this convention has evolved it because neither the Senate nor the Governor General are elected.  If either of these institutions are democratically legitimised, the office holders would likely feel free to block action by the government of the day. Our system of government would likely devolve into a level of gridlock beyond anything seen in the United States. Before we can begin to think of electing a Senate or a defacto head of state, we would need to create a override procedure to allow the House of Commons to retain ultimate authority.  This of course would require a constitutional amendment, which given the inflexibility of the current document, will not happen.  So to summarise I think that attempting a back door change to our current institutions would result in some unintended consequences and it is likely safer to leave well enough alone.

You're right: there are risks.

But constitutional convention is an extremely powerful force, ultimately more powerful than the written words because judges - the arbiters - recognize the "limits" of the written constitution, limits imposed by the time and the situation that faced the authors.

The most powerful of all constitutional conventions in (Britain and) Canada is is the one that says all "money" bills must, not should, must, originate in and be passed by the Commons. The Senate can defeat them, once, but in matters of money the will of the Commons must prevail, constitutionally. We have more than 1,000 years of convention, much of it written in blood and in black letter law, to establish that as a fact. In fact money lies at the very heart of Anglo-Saxon democracy. Rights and liberties are very, very late comers - it was money that the Anglo-Saxon Witan used to reign in the reigning monarch. Money was at the very heart of Magna Carta; and money eventually deposed the Stuarts, won the civil war and enabled the Glorious Revolution.

Political gridlock, on matters not related to the budget, is a problem for the government but not, necessarily, for the people. There isn't all that much that legislatures do, beyond budget/taxing - and the power to deploy troops, subject only to budgetary constraints, belongs to the executive (cabinet) not the legislature - that cannot benefit from delay or from not being done at all. Even war is, in our system, a financial issue. It is money that parliament uses to constrain the cabinet: parliament can stop a war by, simply, refusing to vote "supply."

As to an "elected" head of state - and my desire to bring back a 1,300 year old convention (a bit more traditional than pips and crowns, eh?) - the convention that the sovereign serves at the will and with the consent of the people, as expressed by parliament, is also well established - see the demise of those stupid, inbred Stuarts and the selection of Queen Mary II and her Husband to rule jointly. The head of state can, as in most other Westminster style parliamentary democracies, remain, largely, a ceremonial post (with some constitutional duties) but how we select (or elect) our head of state can  be and, in my opinion, should be formalized to give parliament a more visible role, thus cementing the link between the people and the head of state. (I am not suggesting direct, American style, election of the head of state - rather I want the selection/election to be done within parliament, respecting our constitutional traditions.)

E.R. Campbell said:
You're right: there are risks.

But constitutional convention is an extremely powerful force, ultimately more powerful than the written words because judges - the arbiters - recognize the "limits" of the written constitution, limits imposed by the time and the situation that faced the authors.

The most powerful of all constitutional conventions in (Britain and) Canada is is the one that says all "money" bills must, not should, must, originate in and be passed by the Commons. The Senate can defeat them, once, but in matters of money the will of the Commons must prevail, constitutionally. We have more than 1,000 years of convention, much of it written in blood and in black letter law, to establish that as a fact. In fact money lies at the very heart of Anglo-Saxon democracy. Rights and liberties are very, very late comers - it was money that the Anglo-Saxon Witan used to reign in the reigning monarch. Money was at the very heart of Magna Carta; and money eventually deposed the Stuarts, won the civil war and enabled the Glorious Revolution.

Political gridlock, on matters not related to the budget, is a problem for the government but not, necessarily, for the people. There isn't all that much that legislatures do, beyond budget/taxing - and the power to deploy troops, subject only to budgetary constraints, belongs to the executive (cabinet) not the legislature - that cannot benefit from delay or from not being done at all. Even war is, in our system, a financial issue. It is money that parliament uses to constrain the cabinet: parliament can stop a war by, simply, refusing to vote "supply."

As to an "elected" head of state - and my desire to bring back a 1,300 year old convention (a bit more traditional than pips and crowns, eh?) - the convention that the sovereign serves at the will and with the consent of the people, as expressed by parliament, is also well established - see the demise of those stupid, inbred Stuarts and the selection of Queen Mary II and her Husband to rule jointly. The head of state can, as in most other Westminster style parliamentary democracies, remain, largely, a ceremonial post (with some constitutional duties) but how we select (or elect) our head of state can  be and, in my opinion, should be formalized to give parliament a more visible role, thus cementing the link between the people and the head of state. (I am not suggesting direct, American style, election of the head of state - rather I want the selection/election to be done within parliament, respecting our constitutional traditions.)

I'm still not convinced I would trust a democratically legitimised Senate and Governor General (Regent?) to not exercise the full scope of their considerable constitutional power. 

There are many examples of Westminister style governments which have elected, either directly or indirectly, heads of state. Ireland would probably be the most relevant example, the Irish Presidents dejure power aligns closely with our Monarchs defacto power. The Governor General on behalf of the Monarch, possesses far more dejure authority than the President of Ireland. For example, the Governor General may by law, refuse to give assent to acts of parliament, dissolve parliament, dismiss and appoint governments, disallow provincial legislation, declare war, the requirement to act on and with the advise of parliament is convention but not law.  The President of Ireland possess none of these powers.  According to wiki, acknowledging the reliability or lack there of, the only perogative powers enjoyed by the president, is to refuse to dissolve the Dáil on the advice of a Taoiseach who has lost the confidence of the Dáil and to refer legislation to the supreme court.  Otherwise all actions are on the BINDING advise of the Taoiseach, so the requirement to act on and with the advise of parliament is law rather then convention. 

Currently our head of state defacto or otherwise does not exercise the considerable reserve power the post possesses, because they have no democratic legitimacy and do NOT want to be seen thwarting the "will of the people".  However if you legitmise the dejure powers through election of the office holder, all bets are off. I would not want to depend on a court interpreting the reserve powers in an extremely restrictive way and I have no doubt, that an ambitious office holder would try to stretch those powers as far as they will go.  I think the history of the US presidency is actually fairly illustrative, in that the modern "imperial" president, of either party, wields far more power then any of their 19th century predecessors did. 

I definitely see the potential for governance degenerating into Stuart-esque chaos, with the head of state acting on his/her own authority and the House of Commons attempting to strangle executive government by witholding supply.

An interesting article on the Charter, and the very flimsy foundation it is actually built upon. This links a bit to the discussion upthread on the perogatives and powers of the various branches of government, since the Charter, by design, overturns the traditional diffusion of powers and puts the focus on the unelected Judiciary. As for overreaching powers and the Stuarts, we are seeing a repeat of history south of the border, as the Executive and Senate brazenly defy the money bill convention and refuse to debate the House budget or submit a budget to the House, which is indeed trying to strangle the overreaching of the Executive branch. History does have a sad way of repeating itself....

http://princearthurherald.com/news/detail/?id=94ccc0d3-b8fb-4cf8-889b-f2494b14ecfa

What happens when we disagree about rights?
BY JACKSON DOUGHART
25 July 2013

The Charter of Rights and Freedoms is an extremely popular political institution, being viewed by most Canadians as a fundamental pillar of the Canadian state. But the Charter is not without its critics.

The Charter of Rights and Freedoms is an extremely popular political institution, being viewed by most Canadians as a fundamental pillar of the Canadian state.  But the Charter is not without its critics, such as the right-wing scholars F.L. Morton and Rainer Knopff, and the left-wing theorist Andrew Petter, who see constitutional rights protections as a constraint on the pursuit of a just society. When it comes to intrinsic justifications for judicial review, however, defenders of the Charter habitually rest on three arguments in its support.

Though they may appear to be knock-down points in favour of judicial review, further examination should reveal them to be weak and, when exposed to the likelihood of reasonable disagreement about individual rights, quite indefensible as well.  Rebutting these claims is central to the anti-Charter case that I am trying to advance.

First, it is argued that while judicial veto power is indeed inconsistent with majoritarian decision making, it can be defended as democratic because its introduction was brought about by democratic means — namely, through a set of negotiations and an eventual constitutional amendment, which required popular consent.  But the mere introduction of a particular decision-making procedure by a majority does not make that procedure democratic.  After all, a majority could vote in a dictatorship, but this would not render the dictatorship democratic.  Likewise, voting in a set of nine lawyers as a country’s supreme political institution does not automatically legitimate the process of judicial lawmaking.  And this argument fails to appreciate that the Charter entrenches a different hierarchy of decision-making procedures than previous constitutional limits upon parliamentary power.  In the British North America Act, boundaries were established through a division of jurisdiction between federal and provincial legislatures, but the essential majoritarian processes remained intact.  In contrast, the Constitution Act, 1982 created a process of decision-making superior to, and hence out of the reach of, democratic institutions.

Secondly, it is claimed that democracy is about more than “majority rules” and demands the protection of individual rights.  Therefore, say Charter supporters, judges should be able to overrule majorities when the latter’s decisions conflict with rights.  Of course, democracies may do the best job of protecting individual rights, but this is a consequence of the model, and is very different from saying that democracy means rights-protection at the expense of majority rule, which is flatly untrue.  Democracy is, foremost, a principle of decision-making rooted in the ideal of self-governance and autonomy, in which citizens participate in the forming of their own laws.  This includes controversial statutes involving matters of high principle such as inalienable rights.  And contrary to conventional belief, there is nothing unjust about having to convince a majority of the population that one’s claim to a particular moral and legal right is valid.

It is important to acknowledge that a democratic system may constitute certain inherent rights, without which the governing body would cease to be democratic at all.  I’m speaking here about the right to vote and the right to stand for office.  It could be said that unless these are inviolable and universal, a democracy could simply dissolve itself by disenfranchising the population through majoritarian means.  But if this objection is cogent, it would only justify the judicial supervision of procedural rights, not substantive ones.  Such is the philosophy of the late Professor John Hart Ely, who believed that American due process provisions should only be interpreted procedurally, meaning that while laws preventing black and female suffrage should be struck down by courts, substantive questions about welfare, health services, taxation, economic regulation, collective bargaining, sexual freedom, and abortion should be the province of legislatures alone.  Apply this theory to Canadian politics, and the Charter’s mandate effectively evaporates.

Third, it is suggested that parliamentarians are simply bad at handling controversial questions that implicate rights and should therefore not be trusted with them.  In a critique of my position entitled “The Charter: Can our rights be protected without it?”, Jonathan Coady listed a series of injustices that were conducted under parliamentary tutelage in the pre-Charter era, with the intention of discrediting the prospect of right-protection by parliamentarians.  This argument is misleading because the cases he cites, such as the internment of Japanese-Canadians during World War II, may not necessarily have happened differently had there been a constitutional bill of rights, since the judges of the time may not have intervened on what we now understand to be the right side.  We know of this possibility because the Americans did the same thing to Japanese residents with judicial approval, bill of rights notwithstanding.

Furthermore, it is inaccurate to present the pre-Charter epoch as a howling wasteland that was salvaged only by the Constitution Act, as many flagrant mishaps in jurisprudence laced the pre-1982 period in the United States — a similar society with a comparable legal system and a much longer experiment with constitutional rights.  To take but one example that may appeal to Charter defenders, the Lochner era (1899-1837) saw numerous abrogations of statutory labour-force protections by the U.S. Supreme Court, premised on individual liberty of contract.  The Lochner v. New York ruling, for which the period is named, found that even a law limiting the maximum working hours of bakers was unconstitutional!  And Canada’s Charter age has been similarly plagued by judicial offenses to reason, such as the Supreme Court’s repeated attempts to block rape-shield legislation in the 1990s, which were eventually overcome by the Chrétien Liberals.  As these instances show, the fact that “entrenching individual rights in the Charter provides a layer of insulation from popular decision-making” (Coady’s phrase) and “establish[es] them as legal principles to be applied by courts” (Robert Jackson’s phrase) is precisely the problem.

This view is shared by the constitutional scholar Andrew Petter, a former member of the British Columbia legislature and author of The Politics of the Charter (University of Toronto Press, 2010).  In considering the utility of judicial review as an instrument of progress, he writes that, “The victories that have been won in [the twentieth] century on behalf of workers, the unemployed, women, and other socially and economically disadvantaged persons have been achieved, for the most part, through democratic action. . . . The lot of women has been advanced, to the degree that it has, by means of legislative intervention in the form of labour standards legislation, minimum wage laws, and human rights codes”, not judicial review.  Even if one does not share Petter’s view of distributive justice, which includes support for “harnessing the powers of the state to redistribute wealth and to place limits on the exercise of ‘private’ economic power”, he demonstrates that the promise of constitutional rights is illusory.  More importantly, he shows that allegiance to the Charter need not be drawn on ideological lines, as illegitimate intervention in democratic affairs poses problems for both liberals and conservatives.

The prospect of reasonable disagreement about rights is the strongest argument against judicial review.  It is often assumed that when rights are spoken of, their meaning and scope are widely agreed upon, and that the only remaining problem is to find the best means of securing them.  This assumption is unfounded, as almost all of the fundamental rights that we cherish carry immense baggage, rooted in legitimate debate about their implications for the law.  Consider the freedom of expression: Despite near-universal agreement at the surface, at least in liberal-democratic countries, the details reveal free speech to be a divisive human right.  While everyone tends to agree that libel and slander should be penalized, there is great disagreement about the censorship of hate speech, criticism of religion and ethnic minorities, “blasphemy”, pornography, and tobacco advertising, each of which our legal system must address.  Another example is religious liberty and secularism.  Though almost everyone agrees generally with freedom of religion and conscience, the policy specifics are altogether controversial, even for people who find themselves on the same side of the religious/nonreligious divide.  Does religious freedom, for example, require that the state provide religious education to all children, if their parents desire it, or should people simply be allowed to send children to private schools with public accreditation, or should the state mandate secular education for everyone under the mantra of societal cohesion?  Likewise, should a law that conflicts with a religious injunction be overturned, accompanied by a clause for religious accommodation, or apply to everyone notwithstanding the conflict?  And should religious charities be given a tax exemption, even if their goal is proselytization and not the alleviation of poverty and suffering? Given these ambiguities about our enumerated rights, how can it possibly be said that disagreement about them is irrelevant, or that ordinary Canadians should not have a say in their determination?

All of this casts indubitable suspicion upon the Charter project, whose caretakers deserve the most criticism of all.  Placing responsibility for interpreting rights in the hands of unelected and unaccountable judges is wrong, as they are not trained to resolve substantive political questions that everyone should have a role in deciding.  It is also a resounding insult to Canadian citizens, who are more than fit to govern themselves without paternalistic supervision.  These are points to be taken seriously, and despite their shattering implications for the Charter’s legitimacy, represent no sleight of hand.

~

Jackson Doughart writes a weekly political column for the Prince Arthur Herald.  His essays and articles are archived at www.jacksondoughart.com and his Twitter handle is @JacksonDoughart.

This might not bode well for any of the Senators from before the CPC's rise to power.....they consider themselves "entitled to their entitlements", and scamming the system may have been an everyday thing.

RCMP want "all" of Liberal senator's expense records back to 2003
Murray Brewster, The Canadian Press 07/26/2013
http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/canada/liberal-senator-claimed-uninhabitable-home-as-primary-residence-say-rcmp--217119881.html

OTTAWA - The Mounties intend to widen their probe into inappropriate expense claims filed by Liberal Senator Mac Harb, who they say claimed an “uninhabitable’’ home as his primary residence.

In a sworn affidavit filed in an Ontario court, RCMP Cpl. Greg Horton said the force wants to see records dating back to the time Harb was appointed to the upper chamber a decade ago by former prime minister Jean Chretien.

"The period of time for which I am seeking documents and data is for the entire time that he has been in the Senate for which records are available," Horton wrote in a document known as a production order.

He said the Senate has indicated it routinely holds on to records for eight fiscal years, and those reports are readily available. However, the deputy law clerk in the Senate has indicated copies going back even further might be around.

"I believe that an analysis and audit of these records and expenses will provide evidence of the named offense by demonstrating that Harb's primary residence is in Ottawa," Horton wrote.

"They will also provide a record of all inappropriate housing expenses claimed by Harb, and assist in advancing the investigation."

A separate Senate committee investigation, looking at the immediately available records, estimated that Harb inappropriately claimed up to $231,649 between 2005 and 2012 — a figure the senator disputes.

The Mounties are investigating Harb for breach of trust, and probing back before 2005 could push that figure higher.

None of the allegations have been proven in court.
more on link

Yesterday Andrew Cohen wrote a pretty snarky piece which appeared in the Ottawa Citizen and several other newspapers. Basically he called monarchists misguided and blamed complacency for the continued existence of the monarchy in Canada.

Today Prof Philippe Lagassé replied with this article which is reproduced under the Fair Dealing provisions of the Copyright Act from his own website:

http://lagassep.wordpress.com/2013/07/31/researching-and-defending-the-crown/
Researching and defending the Crown

Posted on July 31, 2013

ndrew Cohen’s Ottawa Citizen column on “Canada’s misguided monarchists” caught my attention yesterday. I was particularly struck my Cohen’s assertion that interest in the monarchy is a “sophomoric and sycophantic obsession with royalty by boys with a mommy complex” (Hi, Mom!) While I didn’t realize that Cohen had moved from being a pop historian to a Freudian analyst, his comment brought to mind questions I often get about my work on the Crown.

Specifically, I’m often asked: Why did I start researching the Crown? Why do I keep researching it? And why do I tend to defend it?

Here are the answers I give.

I began researching the Crown via a project on Canadian civil-military relations. This work involved an examination of Parliament role in national defence and machinery of government related to military affairs. It eventually resulted in the publication of this IRPP Study. What I discovered as part of this research was that the Crown was crucial to understanding relations between the armed forces and the political executive (i.e. Cabinet), as well as Parliament’s relatively minor functions in the national defence arena. Despite all the talk of the Crown being a mere symbol, the powers it conferred on ministers and the structure it imposed on relations between civilians and the military were quite significant and meaningful.

Once I had finished that project, I was curious to see how the Crown influenced Canadian governance writ large. What I discovered was that the Crown matters. A lot. Over the next three years, I read nearly everything I could about the evolution of the institution, its relationship with Parliament and the judiciary, its role in government in the Westminster tradition, and its legal nature and role. During that time, I learned how and why the Crown operates as our concept of the state; why it matters for the independence of bureaucratic officials and security forces; the role that it has played in Canadian federalism; how the divisibility of the Crown allowed Canada to become fully sovereign and independent from the United Kingdom; how the power of the executive over the legislature, and the Prime Minister’s dominance in government, can only be fully understood with reference to the Crown; and, how the Crown still informs the day-to-day operations of government, from policy-making authority to appointments to foreign affairs.

Having collected all this information and data, I chose to do additional work on the Crown and the military. With that project wrapping up this summer, I’ve decided to focus on the Crown and the Canadian state, and the monarchy’s place in the ideological battles over our national identity. To my mind, these are two areas that merit further attention in the literature on the Canadian constitution and Canadian politics. The on-going debates over Canada’s approach to the royal succession and the Queen’s place in our citizenship oath reinforce the need for additional academic research on these topics.

Now, as those who read my Twitter feed and op-eds will attest, I tend to defend the Crown quite a bit. Why do I do that? It boils down to three reasons, really.

First, having seen how much the Crown matters in the Canadian government and constitution, I get frustrated when I read simplistic analyses of the monarchy in Canada. Not only do most of these commentaries show the same level of depth as the media’s coverage of the royal baby, they’re often snide and contradictory. I can’t help but protest when I see a complex concept treated in a facile manner.

Next, I actually think the Westminster system has served Canada well. Insofar as the Crown is a central component of this system, I feel the need to stand up for the benefits of having a constitutional monarchy. I’m also a fan of an energetic executive. From my perspective, the only thing worse than a dominant executive is a submissive one. Because the Crown is the source of the executive’s power and discretion in the Canadian constitution, I’m compelled to stand up for it.

Finally, while studying political science at Carleton, I had the chance to read Michael Oakeshott in preparation for my comprehensive exam in political theory. As an incorrigible pessimist and skeptic, I was drawn to Oakeshott’s observations about the limits of rationalism in politics and the risks inherent in thinking that abstract models offer a viable alternative to modes of social and political organization that have evolved over centuries. When I bring this perspective to bear on the debate over the monarchy’s place in Canada, it leads me to question most of the proposal for a Canadian republic that I see. Often, these proposals focus on one aspect of the Crown, the head of state function. The other aspects of the Crown’s role in the constitution and government are either glossed over or ignored. Suffice to say, I’d like to see something more substantive. Before we debate the relative merits of constitutional monarchy or republicanism, it would be nice for advocates of a republic to offer a comprehensive plan for replacing the various facets of the Crown. Otherwise, we’re simply talking about half-measures or constitutional reform on the fly, with little to no consideration of second or third order consequences.

Will any of this convince Cohen that my interest in the Crown isn’t tied to the royals? Probably not. But maybe, just maybe, it’ll encourage him to read up a bit on topic he feels so strongly about.

I agree with all three of his points, Like Prof Lagassé I like our Westminster system of parliamentary government with its (mostly, but not entirely) figurehead head of state. I think it is superior to other democratic forms including the one found in the great republic to the South. It is not the monarchy, itself, from which I want to separate Canada, it is the next monarch and the one after that and the one after that, each of whom will become more and more and more remote from the daily lives of Canadians.

E.R. Campbell said:
It is not the monarchy, itself, from which I want to separate Canada, it is the next monarch and the one after that and the one after that, each of whom will become more and more and more remote from the daily lives of Canadians.

I, while a confirmed monarchist, would not be opposed to idea of having a different person as monarch, than the United Kingdon, Australia, New Zeeland et. al.. I have in the past given some thought to how this might be accomplished.  Given the recent noise around the Succession to the Throne Act, 2013, I would suggest that a way forward will depend on the resolution of the suit currently before the courts.

Given that future constitutional amendments are unlikely, if the court decides that the succession requires an amendment under the "office of the crown" provisions, it is inevitable that Canada will end up with a unique monarch the first time a eldest daughter, with younger brothers, ascend the throne of the UK. In a situation much like the severance of the personal union between the UK and Hanover or the one between Luxembourg and the Netherlands.

If the courts decide that the succession may be revised legislatively, than parliament could conceivably nominate any descendant of Sophia of Hanover as King or Queen.  Or even leave the office vacant, and have the Governor General act as Regent (Shades of interwar Hungary?)

tomydoom said:
I, while a confirmed monarchist, would not be opposed to idea of having a different person as monarch, than the United Kingdon, Australia, New Zeeland et. al.. I have in the past given some thought to how this might be accomplished.  Given the recent noise around the Succession to the Throne Act, 2013, I would suggest that a way forward will depend on the resolution of the suit currently before the courts.

Given that future constitutional amendments are unlikely, if the court decides that the succession requires an amendment under the "office of the crown" provisions, it is inevitable that Canada will end up with a unique monarch the first time a eldest daughter, with younger brothers, ascend the throne of the UK. In a situation much like the severance of the personal union between the UK and Hanover or the one between Luxembourg and the Netherlands.

If the courts decide that the succession may be revised legislatively, than parliament could conceivably nominate any descendant of Sophia of Hanover as King or Queen.  Or even leave the office vacant, and have the Governor General act as Regent (Shades of interwar Hungary?)

I have prattled on about a Canadian Regency in several posts. I would prefer a long, long, long regency in which we just ignore the whole problem of picking a new sovereign until we are, simply, accustomed to the idea that the GG is the Head of State, de facto and, by convention, de jure, too.

I think hereditary monarchs are passé and I doubt inviting some foreign princeling to start a new one, here in Canada, would go over very well at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back