• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Education while on Parental leave

X-mo-1979

Army.ca Veteran
Inactive
Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone had done any schooling while on parental leave.

I have been looking at a paramedic course at CONA in NFLD where I will be staying for my parental leave.

The problem I started to think about was if I took this course,I would need to do two work terms during the 34 week peroid.

Is this illegal?Would I end up getting in trouble for being able to "work" with eastern health board while on leave from the military?

Anyone have an idea?It got me thinking once I noticed the work terms.

Any EI problems?

I'm not sure about the "legality" of working while on Parental leave but I thought Parental leave was to be home to assist your spouse or, if they are working, to look after and bond with your child.  Maybe that's just me.

PMedMoe said:
I'm not sure about the "legality" of working while on Parental leave but I thought Parental leave was to be home to assist your spouse or, if they are working, to look after and bond with your child.  Maybe that's just me.

The legality part of it is what I'm looking for.

As for the bonding with my child and assisting my wife,she's quite happy I'm trying to persue civilian employment.I've not bonded with the last child due to this job,and this one will be born before I'm home as well.Such is the life of a soldier.32 weeks away from a child(9-5 I may add) to have the possiablility to go home to them every night for the rest of their life's would be doing something FOR your family wouldn't it?

Basically in the job I have taking a 32 week paramedic course is totally out of the question.The only time I can actually plan to do ANY education is when I'm on parental or after my release.I would perfer to get something prior to release,hence why I am looking for the legality issues.

Just trying to find options.

I certainly understand where you're coming from.  I'm also in the military, have been on tour, taskings, etc, etc.  Of course, I was there when my child was born  ;)  but due to personal circumstances and the military I have not lived in the same province as her since she was 4 years old.  I wish I could get "retroactive" maternal leave right now but as she is 17, I doubt she'd want me around all the time.  :-[

Good luck in your endeavors.

When you're on parental leave, you're subject to two types of rules - the military and EI.  The EI rules won't let you work or go to school (full time) while on parental leave, and in order to be on parental leave with the military, you also have to be following the EI rules, so I think it is a no, legally.  You can work a few hours per week, with the intent being to maintain currency/contact and so on (not really applicable to the RegF...), but that doesn't sound like what you're wanting to do.

The rule is that you may make up to 25% of what you recieve as a weekly EI benefit before EI starts to reduce your entitlement.

On MATA, each dollar you make is reduced from your EI Benefit amount.

Another one bit's the dust!

Back