• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Drug Traffickers Find Haven in Shadows of Indian Country

UberCree

Inactive
Reaction score
Interesting NY Times article, too long to paste. 
http://www.nytimes.com/2006/02/19/national/19smuggle.html?hp&ex=1140411600&en=69dc2430fac56f7d&ei=5094&partner=homepage
"Here on Mohawk land, a reservation of roughly 6,000 people on the United States side, according to the tribe, investigators estimate that 10 to 15 major Indian criminal organizations, along with outside drug rings, move more than $1 billion annually in high-grade marijuana and Ecstasy across the Canadian border, through the reservation and into the Northeast. Prosecutors say they are catching only about 2 percent of that contraband."

When will this all come to a head?  Looks as if the US is going to deal with the problem, I wonder how and if Canada will?  Since 1990 criminals and organized crime have had free reign on the Mohawk reserves.

I have begun to  wonder recently if, since many on this particular reserve wish to be treated as a "sovereign first nation", they should not be taken up on their wish.  If you want to enter Canada or the US from the reserve- expect to pass through customs.  A heavily armed customs...

I suspect that it would be a political nonstarter to do anything even if the bodies started to pile up.

Back