• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Driver's Liscence

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Crazy_Eyes

Hey all, i was talking about getting my licence (sp)? the other day, and my friend heard that you can get your licence through the forces in like 3 months?? I thought this was a little to far fetched to be true, but i'll ask here, if it is true great, if not well i figured it wouldn't be

thanks all

Yes, you can get a Military license(404s) to drive military pattern an civvie vehicles owned by DND.
Its not a civvie drivers license, and can't work as one.

So  Joe average like me who joins the reserves cant get my liscence any faster than my buddies?

All it is, is a roadtest- how does anyone get it faster than 1 day??? ???

Crazy_Eyes said:
Hey all, i was talking about getting my licence (sp)? the other day, and my friend heard that you can get your licence through the forces in like 3 months?? I thought this was a little to far fetched to be true, but i'll ask here, if it is true great, if not well i figured it wouldn't be

thanks all

It depends on the province; there are a lot of unsubstantiated stories about all kinds of things from insurance rates being cheaper for Forces members, 404s translating to civvie licenses, etc.  You're best to check with a registry in your own province.  Certainly, if you take the defensive driving and safe backing portion of the Driver Wheeled course (or whatever it is called these days), it may apply to your insurance.

Best to check locally with the registry.

If you're in Ontario you won't be able to dodge the graduated licensing bullet.  I was in the reserves with a guy that was qualified AVGP but couldn't drive on his own in his own car. The Personal insurance company will give discounts to military members with bonuses for certain trades, I got a pretty good one for pilot. They'll ask you for your S/N so I'm not sure if they actually check to see if you do what you tell them, but if it ain't the truth, it's fraud and not very good if you're looking for a career in the CF.

Cheers

Ok, I live in BC and with the change in the graduated liscencing system (about 8 months or so ago) it now takes me over 2 years!! to be fully qualified

If you take your driver wheeled course and you don't have a learners pemirt you'll be given the test for a learners permit when first starting course.

From there you'll get your military driving  licence for whatever vehicle your tested on.  There are a few "civilian" type vehicles in the Canadian Forces you can be qualified on such as a van or pick up truck or staff car (just a car). Most of the time there is no test for this, your just written off as being qualified as you've already been road tested driving military vehicles. 

With your military driving licence (without your full civilian licence) you can drive on all of the kings highways (401, 417, 407 etc.) drive at night, drive with a full car load and everything else so long as your in a military owned vehicle.  Once your out of the military vehicle, your back to just having a learners pemit and are subject to all the rules and restrictions ie not driving after sunset.

IF your pulled over while driving a military vehicle you only have to show your military drivers licence.

So I need A Military vehicle....well i guess thats not gonna happen then, thanks for your help guys  :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back