• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Drill Jack-ups

korgano

Inactive
Reaction score
Hello:

I‘m looking for some good drill jack-up‘s to use on my JLC/JNCO course. In case you dont know what I‘m talking about, here‘s an example:

-Bends out of those elbows
-Dont look at me, if I wanted you to look at me I‘d give you a picture.
-head and eyes straight to the front
-Dont move around

blah blah blah

anything that‘s funny or sounds hard core, our course is already compiling a list of these, but I‘d like some new material.

Don‘t know any funny one liners but these help:

Shoulders UP BACK DOWN, chins UP
Don‘t look at me, I don‘t love you

I heard a funny one about ripping off your arms, shoving them in your ears and riding you around like a motorcyle but I can‘t quite remember how to deliver it.

The ones I remember having yelled in my face were:

Swing those arms shoulder high, press down on the thumbs
Dig in that left heel!
Neck back against the collar!
Eyes forward, I‘m not your lover!
Get a grip on your kit!
Move it come-bubble!
Recover!( We all know what that‘s for)
Do it right, your mother don‘t work here!
Get your helmets!(see recover!)
I can‘t hear you!
Get the f@#k up!
Thes are some of the ones I remember...ah good times!
I also heard something similar although it was about tearing ones arms off, shoving them in their ears, and riding them like a pogo stick!

Start at the top and work down...
Look up!
Chin up
shoulders back
arms swing breast-pocket high
press down on the thumbs
kinks out of the arms
dig in the heels

Read the manual for proper positioning etc...most JLC/ISCC/6B courses will NOT accept Regimental quiffs in Drill. Be prepared to teach straight from the manual.
As for sounding "hard core"...sounding professional would probably be a better goal. No requirement for gratuitous insults, etc. It‘s not stand-up comedy, it‘s laying the foundation for discipline.
"Drill is the means, Discipline is the end"

Phil
ps after 6 years (off and on) on Parliament Hill, drill is something that I understand

Phil‘s last comments make the most sense. Be professional - don‘t yell out stuff because it sounds cool, point out what is genuinely wrong with the candidates drill. You are not there solely to be in charge or get your rocks off, you are there for THEM. If you are instructing drill, your goal should not be looking good, your goal should be helping THEM look good.

We had a complete idiot drill us on my Driver Wheeled course many years ago; he had all kinds of lovely phrases, but no one learned a single thing about doing better drill.

I get the impression you are asking the question out of nervousness, but I wouldn‘t worry - once you out in front of the troops, you will see what needs to be addressed, and it should come naturally. It isn‘t a contest to see who can be wittiest or most abusive.

The "Good Old Day‘s" of verbal abuse are gone.
If were you I would be careful with what you say,
what with P.C.,SHARP aand all that neat stuff!

From a Chief in the Wack,
"Get off the grass, and I don‘t mean the stuff you smoke"

Here‘s an old one "Does it hurt?,"No Sir","Well it should ,get a haircut!.(When inspecting from the back)

While on course, stick to what you find in the CFP 201- Drill and Ceremonial, you can‘t go wrong. You‘ll have a hard enough time learning and keeping all the steps in order without trying to remember fancy phrases. Besides, the guy with the clip board has heard them all. Good Luck.

although im in cadets,i‘ve had my fair share of what the PC people‘d call "verbal abuse",but always took it in good humor since i knew my NCO‘s ,RSM an WO‘s outside of the corp an they‘re (laughs) not really that much differant.

only thing i can think of right now is
"Dont look at me! Im not your dog,i dont wag my tail for you an bring you your slippers"

oh,this just came to me.
i was at camp an the camp CWO (cant remember his name right now) was yelling at my platoon for the honour guard (some freedom of the city thing in barrie) an i remember his words specifically....

"Dont you kids do any of that gadamn hitler foot stomping ****. i‘ve been doin this bull**** for 37years an i havent seen it in any freakin manual to date! so march your *** with a purpose,stand straight,chins up,make it look your goin in to kick the mayors *** personally....alright...quick march"

Michael is right. Be professional. Set a personal example in your dress and conduct and leave the wise cracking to others.

The old Canadian Army Manual of Training (CAMT 2-10) drill manual opened with a foreword that read "Drill is the basis of all discipline". This hasn‘t changed, and drill, whether foot or arms, should always be treated seriously.

During my basic training we had an excellent Bdr for drill. He was fair, firm and consistent throughout. The only time I ever saw him smile was when he called the squad to attention during rehearsal for our graduation parade and his denture flew out, landing several feet in front of him. His reaction was to march over, halt smartly, pick it up, brush it off and reinsert. Despite our snickers we could visualize him counting "One Two Three, One!" That‘s what I call a professional.

Another tip is to give your explanations and commands in as clear a manner as possible. Unfortunately the Bdr I mention spoke English with a heavy accent. The result of this was occasional confusion over what he wanted us to do, especially for those without militia drill experience. This did not make for happier drill periods. Nevertheless he was held in high regard by all of us because he set a first class example in his dress, personal drill and general demeanour.

Remember, the way you conduct yourself in front of your troops will leave a lasting impression with them. Good luck.

P.S.
Don‘t forget the big ones " Attention, At ease, Stand Easy"
P.P.S. Where are the rest of these posts, I can only read the first 2???

Back