• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Don't follow your passion.

ModlrMike

Army.ca Veteran
Subscriber
Donor
Reaction score
In a time where we have a large cohort of unemployed post secondary school graduates, Mike Rowe has some advice:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CVEuPmVAb8o&feature=youtu.be

I tend to think he's right. What many people fail to realize is that what folks call self fulfillment is the intersection of skill, opportunity, and passion. It's no use chasing something you're passionate about if you're also crap at it. Leverage your skills against opportunity and become passionate about that endeavor. I'm not saying don't remain passionate about your dreams, just realize that they are exactly that... dreams. It is also important to realize that you can be passionate about more than one thing.

I'll never be the next Paul McCartney or Eric Clapton, despite my passion for guitar because I lack the skill for it. That doesn't mean that I have to discard that passion. On the other hand, I'm also passionate about helping people, and I'm quite good at it... so that's what pays the bills. The difference is that I realize I'm a mediocre guitarist, and I'm smart enough to know not to spend my life chasing a dream that will never come true.

Anyhow, comments...

ModlrMike said:
Anyhow, comments...

ok. Not much of a comment, but I would say,

Live your life, do your work, as simple as all that.

Back