• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Domestic QRF reservists

Reaction score
I remember hearing a while ago that the army was thinking about having reserve units gathering information on there soldiers at to whether or not who could be ready to assist in a natural disaster within a 48 hour time frame, up and leaving with only 48 hours notice. This is strictly a QRF for natural disasters or to assist civil authorities. Has anyone heard anything like this... maybe i just heard wrong?

Its called the DRU (Domestic Response Unit) here in 32 brigade.

Oh ok, cause i remember some NCO in my unit bringing up the topic, but it was never followed through, so i was just curious about it.

this is something we Reservists should be more ready for then we think
(IMHO) the Chance Of us being called out the help on a national disaster is all to real and we should be more prepaired for it.

I know some, if not all, comms units have at least one detachment designated as 24 NTM dets, usually 3 or 4 people in the det, and a few alternates.

I've never gone through an aid-to-civil power, but I know we do usually bug out the 24 NTM det(s) at least once a year to test readiness, went on one, it took about 8 hours from the initial bug out till we were packed, on the road, ready to roll...

I also know that recently, 72 group bugged out several pers to aid relief efforts in Louisiana.

Maintaining any sort of a real state of readiness for a QRF of any sort made of reservists is rather difficult, for the simple fact that we (reservists) have other commitments...

Job protection legislation for reservists would help.

Also, there's a history of the military deploying in aid to civil power, off the top of my head, Red River, quebec ice storm, nova scotia ice storm, Saguenay (?), Louisiana, Kelowna and minor snowfall in Toronto (Just off the top of my head, plenty of other instances).

Reserve QRF

t2nicToTheRescuestill.gif

Hey.. you posted it to the site so its fair game TN2ic!!!  ;D ;D ;D

Here in 34 Brigade we were asked as well.  I'm not sure if it's something they ask every year, but we were asked this year.  Does anyone know if any Unit's train for this kind of stuff( not that I would think there is a course for snow shoveling)  But maybe just a weekend were there in a simulated natural disaster.

In my unit we don't have one of these domestic response units but I know the RHLI and AshofC's do in Burlington, a guy from John Foote armoury in Hamilton told me that he was on the Domestic Response Unit and basically it's a weekend training excercise when you join basically on proceedure, kit checks and deployment. Not much they can train you for in a disaster except go over your first aid skills. He also mentioned the fact he was surprised that when he joined it he was issued basically every piece of kit he never had and then some!

Must be nice...

I'd like to be on it but my unit doesn't have one! Strange since we're the only military presence in the Niagara Region, and I would think it would be a good area to have one in...

Joe

Carleton University's Professor Joe Scanlon published "Canadian Military Emergency Response: Highly Effective but Rarely Part of the Plan" in the US' Military Review last fall.  While the title pretty much sums it up, you may want to have a read.

http://usacac.leavenworth.army.mil/CAC/milreview/download/English/NovDec05/Scanlon.pdf

"Provided under......fair provisions" ......you know, whatever those other guys say to avoid any copyright issues

One thing that I must throw out for people to chew on at this point is...Canada Command.  Specifically tasked with Dom ops, the CoC will be the Force Generator/Employer for all Dom Ops, whether it be...JTFA, JTFC...etc etc....there are 5 or 6 JTF'x' in CanCom.

So, short answer in my mind is...wait for what the JTF commander in your Area's task you Bde's with.  As an example, in JTFA, the IRF/IRU may be deploying soon.  IF and WHEN it does, we are anticipating our CBGs to be ordered to form the IRU/IRF for JTFA.

The JTF Cmdr will task all Army/Air/Navy units to complete the tasks he/she has to. 

With the stand-up of Canada Command, the Res could see a bigger tasking/repsonsibility WRT Dom Ops.  Should come down the pipe from the JTF"x" HQs though...atleast that is the way it is shaping up in JTFA, and we are sorta the pilot area on CanCom...as far as I hear...

Journeyman said:
Carleton University's Professor Joe Scanlon published "Canadian Military Emergency Response: Highly Effective but Rarely Part of the Plan" in the US' Military Review last fall.  While the title pretty much sums it up, you may want to have a read.

http://usacac.leavenworth.army.mil/CAC/milreview/download/English/NovDec05/Scanlon.pdf

"Provided under......fair provisions" ......you know, whatever those other guys say to avoid any copyright issues

Thanks for the info, I'd honestly really like to take a look at it but I don't think that link is working. Is it from secured computers/servers on a military computer only???

Thanks,
Joe

Within LFQA, each Reserve brigade has been tasked to have a QRF coy ready & at the beck and call of the area.... the intent being that they could deploy & be on the ground faster than the Regular Bde & hold the fort until the Reg Bde can get there....

does it work?.... I'll let you know when they go thru a shakeout.....

I doubt they would be able to deploy faster than the reg force...unless there is no reg force regiment near by. If a disaster did happen and it happened not to be on a parade night or weekend they would have to call/page the guys at they're jobs or school, and it could take awhile for them to get ready to go. Don't get me wrong I think it's a great idea but I don't know how well it will work.

Civvy.... 100 guys & gals from 15 units.... 7 guys per unit
if units are unable to have 7 people reachable - then their
phone "fanout" really sucks.

34 & 35 Bde put together composite infantry companies - to ensure that they weren't just training the "sub/sub/sub/sub-units". Coy Cmdrs, CSMs and CQs needed training & practice with a full complement. As far as I know, they've been doing it for quite some time now.

civvy3840 said:
I doubt they would be able to deploy faster than the reg force...unless there is no reg force regiment near by. If a disaster did happen and it happened not to be on a parade night or weekend they would have to call/page the guys at they're jobs or school, and it could take awhile for them to get ready to go. Don't get me wrong I think it's a great idea but I don't know how well it will work.

Large chunks of the country (including cities) are nowhere near a deployable Regular Army unit. Some of them that are near such a unit may find that the unit has gone overseas. Non-Army RegF units (Navy, Air Force)  often lack the kit to be self-deployable or self-sustainable. As well, each Land Force Area only has one unit at a time designated as IRU (Immediate Reaction Unit): it may not even be in the same province as the emergency. In the 8-12 hours that it can take before significant RegF resources can be effective on the ground, local Reserve units can already be on the scene, provided that their fanout are effective (This, IIRC, varies greatly from unit to unit). If volunteer firefighters can turn out in a few minutes, Res soldiers can turn out in a few hours.

Cheers

Back