• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Does being part of military make you 'right wing'?

Roy Harding said:
On the NPR thing - I've been an inveterate listener to CBC since I was a kid, I even purchased a Short Wave radio receiver so that I could listen to "As It Happens" while deployed (long time ago - before the internet, or the "in camp" radio feeds that are currently available).  Although I don't think I was ever "judged" for my listening preference, I have been looked askance for my choice.  Even here on Army.ca I sometimes feel the need to justify my choice of radio stations.

So, while the attitude you describe is certainly more SEVERE than attitudes here - I don't think it's a completely unknown phenomenon.

On reflection, I think you will find a goodly number of CF personnel are inherent news junkies and "As It Happens" fits that bill perfectly.....If CBC produced nothing else of merit, this programs has endured for decades simply because it's good....

GAP said:
On reflection, I think you will find a goodly number of CF personnel are inherent news junkies and "As It Happens" fits that bill perfectly.....If CBC produced nothing else of merit, this programs has endured for decades simply because it's good....

Yeah - but I listen to the REST of CBC One's offerings, too - don't always AGREE with their programs, but I listen.  That's where the "looking askance" part comes in.

I am a CBC fan, Radio 1, Radio 2, French and English CBC but mostly the radio not fan of CBC TV.

At the risk of being the only one in step, I stopped listening to the CBC during the 1998 ice storm. When we lost our power at about 1800 hours on Wednesday, the whatever of January, I turned on CBC Radio for news. Nothing, just the national schedule and this seemed to be the pattern whenever I checked. A local Ottawa commercial station dropped all its scheduled, revenue producing programming and ran virtually non-stop programming of the important things, like weather, Hydro's progress reconnecting service, the arrival of troops in the area, location of shelters, emergency medical news, etc. (At the end of the operation Rick Hillier, who had run things in Eastern Ontario, dropped in to the station to present it a plaque and certificate of appreciation.)

I must admit the network was on permanent C&P for quite some time. As It Happens had annoyed me with a long item about how the American military would not be able to beat the Iraquis in Gulf War 1 because the officers were incompetent and the troops were either drug addicts, criminals from the 'hood or inbred hillbillies. A few years later I had almost put my fist through our car radio when a commentator stated that the young Somali had been beaten to death because nobody in the military knew it was wrong to torture and kill prisoners.

We used to listen to Radio 2, espcially on weekends, but CBC managed to make it unattractive to us. In our RV down on the St Lawrence we listen to the North Country NPR station, even if some of its stuff makes CBC look like Fox News Channel.

Back