• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

DND Seeks Urban Cam Pattern for Vancouver, Toronto and Montreal

The Bread Guy

Staff member
Directing Staff
Subscriber
Donor
Reaction score
This in today's MERX offerings:
TITLE:
Prototype Canadian Urban Environment Pattern

REQUIREMENT:
The Department of National Defence, Defence Research and Development Canada - Suffield, (DRDC-S), AB, has a requirement to develop a Canadian Urban Environment Pattern (CUEPAT) based on the unique requirements of Canada's three major metropolitan areas, Vancouver, Toronto and Montreal. The current CBR individual protective equipment (IPE) used by the Canadian military is provided in a woodland or desert camouflage. A camouflage suited to the Canadian urban environment is required when the milatary operates in urban terrain.

SUBSTANTIATION FOR SOLE SOURCING:
The Contractor holds the proprietary right to the advanced fractal algorithms and feed back loop technology to develop non-repeating digital camouflage patterns. HyperStealth Biotechnology Corporation's design team of Guy Cramer and Timothy R. O'Neill share copyright on approximately 8,000 digital camouflage patterns. Access to this extensive data base for the purposes of developing a new Canadian urban environment camouflage pattern is critical to the success of the project.  All Intellectual Property Rights in the Foreground Information shall belong to the Contractor as soon as they come into existence. There are no alternative sources of supply for this requirement as no other Canadian source exists that has the capability to design and develop digital, non-repeating camouflage patterns using state-of-the-art fractal algorithms and feed back loop technology, with concomitant IP protected
access to approximately 8,000 copyrighted patterns that can be used in full support of meeting the requirement.

(....)

OWNERSHIP OF INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY: Contractor owned.

PERIOD OF CONTRACT:
It is anticipated that any contract will be effective from date of contract to March 31, 2010. Contract may result in follow on related work.

ESTIMATED EXPENDITURE:
The estimated budget for this contract is $24,900.00, GST extra.

CONTRACTOR:
HyperStealth Biotechnology Corporation
PO Box 21134 Maple Ridge Square
Maple Ridge, BC V2X 1P7

(....)

A bit more (mostly boilerplate stuff) in attached PDF.

- edited to add link to HyperStealth -

For anyone interested, search the forums on "HyperStealth" , he's been on our radar before.

Blend in real good...wear Jeans and a T Shirt

I would say jeans and t-shirt would better suit the suburbs. If we are developing something for the urban scene a suit would do the job ;D. Nothing better than running around guns a-blazing "transporter" style. Maybe next we will get a standard issue BMW!

A long "Matrix" style black coat and buckle boots.

The way our big cities are heading, I would not be surprised to see The War Measures Act ( if they still call it that ) re-invoked in the not too distant future for the first time since 1970. Whatever the uniform.

Easy - bermuda shorts, tacky Hawaiian shirts and Panama hats should do nicely - well, at least for Vancouver...I guess for Toronto, gangsta jeans past your butt cheeks, hoodies and ball caps, and God knows what for Montreal.  How do you meld all of that together into a workable cam pattern?

MM

Easy, start with a pattern mimicking the current digital cam, then you just need new colours:

Concrete grey
Brick red
Rust brown

All muted by the virtual overlay of decades of automotive exhaust fumes.

I'll even sell the rights to DND, can I have my suggestion award $$$ now?

medicineman said:
Easy - bermuda shorts, tacky Hawaiian shirts and Panama hats should do nicely - well, at least for Vancouver...I guess for Toronto, gangsta jeans past your butt cheeks, hoodies and ball caps, and God knows what for Montreal.  How do you meld all of that together into a workable cam pattern?

MM

For Montreal: Habs jerseys and Club SuperSexe G-strings mottled with poutine stains

Michael O'Leary said:
Easy, start with a pattern mimicking the current digital cam, then you just need new colours:

Concrete grey
Brick red
Rust brown

All muted by the virtual overlay of decades of automotive exhaust fumes.

But what does one wear if one is patrolling in the downtown park?

And in winter?

"Does this tac vest go with this helmet cover?"

So many fashion decisions to make before heading in to the "office"...

But seriously, blending in with the people would make more sense and be easier, unless there were no people within which to blend.

Shec said:
For Montreal: Habs jerseys and Club SuperSexe G-strings mottled with poutine stains

:rofl: - should have thought of that...especially like the poutine stain bit.

MM

OldSoldier said:
I don't want to come off as a jerk, but is this for real?
As odd as it may seem, the bid is on MERX, with a contact name & number to Public Works Canada, so it appears to be the real deal.

Michael O'Leary said:
I'll even sell the rights to DND, can I have my suggestion award $$$ now?
It's BOUND to be cheaper than the almost $25K mentioned in the bid, right?  ;D

Michael O'Leary said:
For anyone interested, search the forums on "HyperStealth" , he's been on our radar before.

Michael, it's even funnier to search "Guy Cramer"

http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/2413.0.html

Since the requirement includes the following -
. . .  The current CBR individual protective equipment (IPE) used by the Canadian military is provided in a woodland or desert camouflage. A camouflage suited to the Canadian urban environment is required . . .
it may be reasonable to suppose that "Suffield" is looking at this as a stand-alone project for improving the functionality of bunny suits.  If IPE is needed in Vancouver, Toronto or Montreal, perhaps the ability to blend into the surroundings is the least of worries.

Blackadder1916 said:
  If IPE is needed in Vancouver, Toronto or Montreal, perhaps the ability to blend into the surroundings is the least of worries.

I think any sensible person would agree with this statement. Anyways, the current CADPAT suits look just fine...

milnews.ca said:
As odd as it may seem, the bid is on MERX, with a contact name & number to Public Works Canada, so it appears to be the real deal.
It's BOUND to be cheaper than the almost $25K mentioned in the bid, right?  ;D

Are you piling manure on me? Is my first reaction.

If a Canadian sailor needs to be camouflaged from our own citizens, we are in trouble.

kratz said:
If a Canadian sailor needs to be camouflaged from our own citizens, we are in trouble.

I agree with you, Kratz, but..........
Maybe in a city riot disturbance they will want the military to look like city ETF/PSU Tactical police/paramedics on the "riot squad". Their uniforms and all badges are stealth. The regular police/medics in the rearguard continue to wear their street uniforms, which are now highly visible with the new puke colour safety jackets.  My, uneducated, guess is that the mayors may want the military to look similar to PSU when if they are sent into the cities.
I would prefer the military to look military, but I think our Megacity mayor may feel otherwise.
I could be wrong.
I also agree the city is in trouble. It's been a long time coming.
I don't think Mel would have much cared what colour the military uniforms were.

I think Vern might have a few suggestions for Montreal pattern wear ;)

Here is my offer:

homeless1.jpg

Back