• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

DND 404 - Driver's Licence ( merged )

You now have all you need to know, at least from here, about your initial question. Any other questions about your course should be addressed to your Chain of Command.

OK this should clear up any thought about needing a drivers licence while operating DND vehicles.

Last week I rolled through a stop sign.Nothing coming,however a dumb thing to do.The MP's happened to see me from a well placed OP and pulled me over in my DND rented SUV.When he came up he told me why he was pulling my dumb ass over,to which I fully agreed.

He asked me for my drivers licence and registration,I pulled out my 404's,registration and work ticket.He laughed and said "the army rented this nice vehicle?" He again asked for my civilian drivers licence which I did not carry on my person,I leave it in my car.

He said it was no problem as I didn't need it.However he did ask for my military I.D to check if I had any other traffic violations by running my information through the system.

167 dollars was the fine.I sat in the vehicle trying to figure out how I could come up with the cash as to not have to tell the wife about this little incident.(As the week prior she "bumped" a parked car,and I lost it)He came back gave me my stuff asked if I was french,and gave me a warning.As I haven't had a ticket in years.

So no you do not need a valid drivers licence.However if you do have one they run a check to make sure your not a reckless driver,to decide if you warrant a ticket or a warning.

The wife still does not know.She's a evil little welsh woman and doesn't need to.

EX_RCAC_011 said:

The wife still does not know.She's a evil little welsh woman and doesn't need to.

Sounds familiar - mine happens to be a French girl (from France, not Quebec) - and I've hidden a vehicular peccadillo or two from her as well.

To answer the question - no, you don't need a provincial driver's license to drive a DND vehicle.  You DO need a 404, regardless you have a provincial driver's license.

HFXCrow said:
Thanks, appreciate the assist.  :blotto:

Hey Crow if you got any questions in that field... drop me a PM. I am your local guy....

Cheers,
TN2IC

BYT Driver said:
...that's P for LAVIII brakes.  O is formal DND driver training.
Since you've all pulled the measuring tape out:A1, A6, B1, B5, C1, C11, C23, C26, C3, C53, C60, C61, C71, D1, D2, D3, D12, E1, E10, E20, E21, E23, E24, E25, E3, F4, F5, G16, G17, H10, H12, H20, H22, J11, T4, T6.
SPEC;A, B, C, E, F, H, L, M, N, O (that's airbrakes on real trucks, LOL), had a G but it has long expired and is no longer offered on base.
Oh, did I mentionI've got over 20years in the trade between field, base and wings?   8)

Cheers, BYTD
:army:

I am still on OJT... so bare with me.

Class A1, A4, B1 B3t, C52, C53, C54, C60, C62, C71, F3, T3

Spec: B,E,F,J,L,O,T

Mostly Green but working my way up.

;D

I really do wish for the sake of ease and time that the CF recognized outside drivers courses and what have you when it comes to 404.

I recieved my Class 1, and My Airbrake, DDC, PDIC, WHIMIS and TDG all within a week of turning 18 (my father a former MSE Op, now head of Safety for Diversified Tnspt, insisted I get all these) I have driven long haul, short haul, hot shot and bush transport since i got a job the week after getting my license at 16, I have had 1 accident, and it was due to a mech failure on the steering of the picker truck i was operating at the time.

Now, im coming on 22, Aye a youngin, but a level headed youngin with close to 6yrs (8 if you count the 2 yrs with my learners) with no mishaps, and I want to know why the CF cant take a look at your veh history, give you a few road tests here and there and declare you good to go, instead of sitting someone through a Dvr Wheel Crse with people who've never driven before. Kinda Boggles my mind.

I Drive a 1985 Ford 8000, 10,000gallon Refueller/bowser at the Municipal Airport in edmonton, but I cant drive a MILCOT in the CF.... 

Ahh well I guess.

MILCOT and refueller are WAY different.

Civvy courses can be written off. I did my forklift course with Lift Tow in NS. I had no problems switching them over. Just do the DVR WHEEL course then get the other vehs afterwards. A cocky driver is no good for the CF. Go threw the training system. You will always learn... Heck today I did my Winter Driver Course.. boys that was fun! Always  learning.. no matter what. For us truckers is brake, gas, go.. but it still reqr learning.

Just talk to MSE Safety and see what they will do.

Cheers,
TN2IC

You can ask for a PLAR (Prior Learning and Assessment Review) and see if the courses that you did are equivalent to the CF standard. This can be a very long and lengthy process (especially if no one else has gone to that school), but it can be done. They have to examine the curriculum taught there and see what the differences are between the Driver Wheel courses and specialty courses.

The EME world does it, CDA does it, SIGS, Medics, etc, but I do not know if the trucker world does it (at the moment). One possible avenue is to find out if the province you are in gives equivalency to military qualifications (some do). It should work both ways.

Wook

I just had a PLAR done. So we do it. It took a few months but yeah.. it is sure worth it.

I've heard two conflicting policies regarding 404's and civilian drivers licenses. To get your civvie pattern qualification, some have told me you need a full G civvie drivers license.

Others have told me that if you have completed a driver wheel course, then you don't need a civvie license to get civvie pattern, you just need a road test.

Any link to official policy?

For civvie pattern?

DDC SBC and a DIT (Driver Information Test) plus a full licenses.

But that is out of my head. I don't have a link cause my bookmarks are gone.

Anyone else can help us out?

We have guys here that just got their 404s, without a civvy license, and they were told these 404s could work in the obtention of their civvy license. 

Other than that, GoldDigger, er I mean, TN2IC ( ;D), was right, DDC, SBC, and that other theory test, and you're allowed civvy patterned vehicles.  Even without a roadtest. 

This has been covered in other threads.
You can operate DND owned and licenced vehicles with only a DND 404 and NO valid drivers licence.
In Ontario and new brunswick they could care less if you have 404's.You will still complete the full graduated program.

404's dont give you a civilian drivers licence.
404's can let you drive a Ford ranger rented by the army,however you cannot drive that same vehicle if it was rented by your mommy.

Search 404's its all there.

Yeah RCAC...I should of piped up on that. I just wanted some sort of glory.

Stealing my thunder b'y..

Regards,
TN2IC

BTW.. get back to studying.

What exactly are you looking for?  I can dig out mine, and there's not enough room here for all the crud that's on 'em.

:warstory:

edited to correct spelling error.

PM me your e-mail and I can send it to you tomorrow in a word doc.  That's if you can wait until tomorrow.

Rob :cdn:

Back