• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Dion vows snap vote on Afghan deployment

At least for United Nations peacekeeping operation in Cyprus (UNFICYP), they only extend the mandate for six months at a time. An example is Resolution 1568 (2004) which extends it from 15 DEC 2004 to 15 JUNE 2005. So six month tours would line up with the mandate from the UN.

IN HOC SIGNO said:
During previous conflicts many were away for 4 or more years....6 months every 3 years or so is not that bad given the deprivations of previous generations.
Interesting point.  For the majority of those "four or more" years, life in the UK was more or less like being in the army in peacetime, but with a really big budget.  The "D-Day Dodgers" notwithstanding, those units that landed on i6 June 1944 were in action for about 11 months.  Think about that for a moment.  11 months of combat.  Yes, it was conventional warfare against a very strong and powerful enemy and yes the casualty rates were huge compared to today (70 deaths due to all causes in 5 years), but in the end, only 11 months.  Todays veteran with 2 tours has more time on the "two way range" than many of the vets of yesteryear.  Of course, 1 Can Div and the rest of those who "dodged D Day" spent nearly 23 months in combat and one thing I read in a book whose name currently fails me, is that key positions in units burned out at about 6 months. 

Captain Sensible said:
Interesting point.  For the majority of those "four or more" years, life in the UK was more or less like being in the army in peacetime, but with a really big budget.  The "D-Day Dodgers" notwithstanding, those units that landed on i6 June 1944 were in action for about 11 months.  Think about that for a moment.  11 months of combat.  Yes, it was conventional warfare against a very strong and powerful enemy and yes the casualty rates were huge compared to today (70 deaths due to all causes in 5 years), but in the end, only 11 months.  Todays veteran with 2 tours has more time on the "two way range" than many of the vets of yesteryear.  Of course, 1 Can Div and the rest of those who "dodged D Day" spent nearly 23 months in combat and one thing I read in a book whose name currently fails me, is that key positions in units burned out at about 6 months. 

Agreed...they were away though from their families and living in barracks and under stricter regulations than at home in Garrison in peacetime....it was similar to being in Cyprus in the later days I guess. the actual combat experience of 11 months was pretty taxing I'm sure. I don't think they hesitated to fire people in key positions if they proved incapable or were burn out cases.

Back