• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Defence and Security Gets Attention in Federal Throne Speech

Blindspot

Reaction score
Defence and security gets attention in federal throne speech

Canada - Canadian Press

STEPHEN THORNE

OTTAWA (CP) - The federal government reiterated its commitment to defence and security Tuesday, telling Canadians it is "no longer possible to separate domestic and international policies."

"We have to invest more in our military as part of defending ourselves at home, in North America and the world," said the throne speech read by Gov. Gen. Adrienne Clarkson. "We have to earn our way in the world."

Acknowledging of the importance of Canada's military, the document's first words paid tribute to soldiers, sailors and aircrew, past and present.

Speaking of the "huge debt" owed those who have served Canada in uniform, the document promised more soldiers and said defence, diplomacy, development and trade must work in concert.

As expected, the speech promised a comprehensive international policy statement in the fall and a debate that observers say could last into the spring.

In what could be a harbinger of its expected direction on U.S. missile defence, the speech spoke of the need to deepen co-operation with the Americans, to better know them and to "strengthen our economic and security relations."

Canada's will never be a large military so it must be strategic and focused, in some cases training regionally based peacekeepers rather than moving in on its own, said the document.

Canadian troops are among the world's best peacekeepers, its diplomats among the best negotiators and aid workers among the best at nurturing peace, said Clarkson, commander-in-chief of the Canadian Forces.

"That's why the government will be increasing our regular forces by 5,000 troops and our reserves by 3,000 so that they may be better prepared and equipped to meet these challenges."

The document also said Canada must protect its Arctic sovereignty and security.

The complete text of the speech is available here:

http://www.pm.gc.ca/grfx/docs/sft_e.pdf

The part that deals specifically with Defence is as follows:

Speech from the Throne, October 5, 2004 13
In today's world, effective international engagement is needed to advance national
aspirations. Now that time and distance have lost their isolating effect, it is no longer
possible to separate domestic and international policies. Canada's internationalism is
a real advantage, but we must find new ways to express it if we are to effectively
assert our interests and project our values in a changing world.
Just as Canada's domestic and international policies must work in concert, so too
must our defence, diplomacy, development and trade efforts work in concert. This
fall, the Government will release a comprehensive International Policy Statement that
will reflect this integration. Parliamentarians and other Canadians will have the
opportunity to debate its analyses and proposed directions.
Meanwhile, the world does not wait. The new security threats that face Canada
demand new approaches immediately. The Government has already responded. In
April of this year, it introduced Canada's first-ever comprehensive National Security
Policy, which will ensure a more focused and integrated approach to securing our
open society. The Government is now implementing this policy. In this context, the
Government is also deepening cooperation with the United States on mutual
assistance in the event of major natural or human-caused emergencies.
This new context requires us to manage wisely our relationship with the
United States, to know our friend better, and to strengthen our economic and security
relations. Our relationship must be built on shared values, on mutual respect, and on a
strong and independent voice for Canada.
Enhancing Canada's security means that we have to invest more in our military as
part of defending ourselves at home, in North America and in the world. We have to
earn our way in the world. But ours will never be the biggest military force, so it must
be smart, strategic and focused.
Canada's proud tradition as a leader in peacekeeping is being tested today by
increasing demands in extremely dangerous and politically complicated situations,
often involving failed and failing states. We have seen what extraordinary work
Canadian men and women can do in places like Afghanistan, Bosnia and Haiti. We
know that Canadians are among the best in the world in meeting the challenge of
being soldiers to make the peace, diplomats to negotiate the peace and aid workers to
nurture the peace.
That is why the Government will be increasing our regular forces by some
5,000 troops and our reserves by 3,000 so that they may be better prepared and
equipped to meet these challenges.
As Darfur and other situations have shown, sometimes intervention is best achieved
by regional forces attuned to their cultural and geographic conditions. In such cases,
particularly in Africa, Canada intends to continue playing a role by training regional
peacekeepers, to prepare them to conduct challenging security operations within the
principles of international humanitarian law.
In so many of the world's trouble spots, establishing order is only the first step.
Poverty, despair and violence are usually rooted in failed institutions of basic
governance and rule of law. This is where Canada, with its commitment to pluralism
and human rights, can make a unique contribution.

"We have to invest more in our military as part of defending ourselves at home, in North America and the world," said the throne speech read by Gov. Gen. Adrienne Clarkson. "We have to earn our way in the world."

Yeah, 'cause we can believe everything from Ottawa. Especially from a reporter-turned-blue blood like Clarkson.

I'll believe it when I see it.

Caeser said:

Yeah, cause we can believe everything from Ottawa. Especially from a reporter-turned-blue blood like Clarkson.

I'll believe it when I see it.

Ummm - you do know that the speech is written by the PMO, and not the GG, right?

Of course I know it is the PM's speach, but it is delivered by the GG.

But I am still sceptical of vague claims of commitment to the military - "Enhancing Canada's security means that we have to invest more in our military "

I have heard that song before.

I for one do not believe anything the Liberals say.  We've had over 8 years of lies.  What makes this throne speech different from the others?  Absolutely nothing, just a bunch of false promises from our sad sad minority government.  The money for the military will just have to go to Paul Martins cronies so that they can drive their SL 550's and take expensive Caribbean vacations.  Vote Calgary as the second Capital of Canada in the west, Ralph Klein can get stuff done even if its on the backs of the poor like me.  We simply cannot be a peacekeeping nation, we are way too big in economy and size.  That's my 2 cents for the day my 10 cents is free. :cdn:  :-\

We simply cannot be a peacekeeping nation - I assume this comment is in response to "Canada intends to continue playing a role by training regional peacekeepers...."

If that is what you were responding to, the line form the GG stated we would be training people from the local area, not Canadians. I for one support this IN THEORY, but we'll see if the idea makes it off the speach script.

Here, here on the rest of your post/rant.

I voted for the Conservatives.  Heck I even worked for the Conservatives and would like to see them in power just now rather than the Liberals.

But.

Regardless of all the broken promises in the past I think it only fair to give this Government its kick at the can.  I'm inclined to believe that for good or ill Paul Martin is actually more of a Foreign Policy wonk than he is domestically focused.  He certainly has demonstrated an internationalist bent in the past.  

It's entirely possible that he actually WANTS to put more money into defence.  

In any event the other parties, especially the Conservatives will have ample opportunity to back up their rhetoric in a minority parliament, to show greater support for an enhanced defence establishment.  All four parties, including the Bloc have spoken out about the need to be able to intervene in situations like the Sudan as well as a greater need to keep our coasts and the Arctic under surveillance and exercise our sovereignty.  

(As an example the line in the speech just before the discussion on foreign policy dealt with "straddling stocks" - that's about fish that don't know from borders.  It is the issue that saw the Navy shooting at those poor defenceless Spanish fishermen.  Horrible people those Navy types, eh Ex-Dragoon?  ;D It is also part and parcel of disputes with Denmark over Shrimp, Hans Island and Danish claims to the North Pole and the connecting continental shelf.)

If there truly is the political will to do something then it can be done in a minority parliament.  In fact it might even offer some political cover for those that want to increase the guns budget but feel constrained from acting because of the butter focus of their constituents.  If all parties end up supporting guns over butter then no party can assume an electoral advantage next time round.  All parties will be equally credited and blamed.

At 30 you are way to young to be that cynical and despondent Caeser my lad, wait until you're my age then talk to me about cynical .   ;D ;)

Cheers, Chris.

OK here's me at my Pollyanna best,

This year, Canadians commemorated the 60th anniversary of D-Day and the landing
of allied forces in Europeâ ”an event that spelled the beginning of the end of the
Second World War. Canadian soldiers, sailors and aircrews fought with dogged
bravery and were ultimately victorious on Juno Beach that day.
Shortly, I will be going to Italy to commemorate the significant campaign in which
six thousand Canadians sacrificed their lives. To me, personally, these
commemorations are a symbol of our eternal gratitude and an affirmation that we
have not forgotten.
On these occasions, we are reminded of the huge debt we owe to those in uniform
who have served this countryâ ”then and today. Our veterans connect generations and
Canadians. As a country and as individuals, we gain in pride and in purpose from
their deeds and their service

The opening remarks refer to the pride and good will that the uniformed service of Canadians 60 years ago gained for the country, and a statement that similar service gains us similarly today.

A region of particular challenge and opportunity is Canada's Northâ ”a vast area of
unique cultural and ecological significance. The Government will develop, in
cooperation with its territorial partners, Aboriginal people and other northern
Speech from the Throne, October 5, 2004 6
residents, the first-ever comprehensive strategy for the North. This northern strategy
will foster sustainable economic and human development; protect the northern
environment and Canada's sovereignty and security; and promote cooperation with
the international circumpolar community.
The Government will also move forward on its Oceans Action Plan by maximizing
the use and development of oceans technology, establishing a network of marine
protected areas, implementing integrated management plans, and enhancing the
enforcement of rules governing oceans and fisheries, including rules governing
straddling stocks

Enhancing enforcement of rules dovetails with inshore patrol vessels, Predator/Altair type UAVs and securing approaches to North America, enhancing North American security.
(Unlike some CBC commentators I don't believe the reference to North American defence is a reference to NMD, it think it more appropriately refers to the concept of a common perimeter and looking after our part of the yard).

That is why the Government is establishing the Canada Corps. Its mandate is first, to
put our idealism to work by helping young Canadians bring their enthusiasm and
energy to the world; second, to bring our skills and ideas to bear by ensuring that
experts of all ages and backgrounds[
/b]â ”for example, in governance, health, economics,
human rightsâ ”can get to the places in the world that need them; and third, to
coordinate the efforts of government and to work with civil society. The Canada
Corps will bring the best of Canadian values and experience to the world.

OK this is a stretch, but if you wanted to convince Canadians to spend billions on transport how better than to tie it not to DEFENCE needs but instead to AID and ASSISTANCE (Perhaps you might even find the DART responsibility transferred to the Canada Corps with CF tasked to supply security as required). Once the Government has it it can be used for any amount of purposes, including domestic disaster response, transporting forces overseas, or even aid in its own right given the shortage of timely and cost effective strategic lift internationally.... OK it's not a stretch, it's a WAG.

But I choose to hope.  The alternative is way too bleak. ;)

I think this session of Parliment will be very interesting. I don't fully believe the cynics that say this government will not be able to pass anything. I would agree if there were only two parties with influence, but we have 4 parties that could be lobbied for any one issue.

That being said, recent history tells us that the Liberals are not exactly CF-friendly. Yes, the Post-9/11 world has changed things (I hate that phrase), but I'm not so sure Martin won't go to the left side on this. He seems to favor the NDP over the Conservatives, and he's already going to have to go to Harper for support on Missle Defence. Basically what I mean is that I think from a political standpoint, he has more bridges to build with the NDP than he does with the Conservatives. I think we will get the troops, but that's about it.

Oh yeah, I am a little cynical for my age, but I also work for the Fed Gov civie-side. And I also voted for Harper. We were that close!

In my opinion the Liberal strategy of 3-D (Defence,Diplomacy and Development) is a sustainable idea that will garner multi-party support. Although most projections are leaning towards a short lived minority government, it is not unfeasible to assume that much may be achieved by playing to all sides in this matter.

The Conservatives will not vote against policy matters that mesh with their strategy for the next election. To clarify this statement, The Conservatives must be seen by more voters to be cooperating with rather than against the Government. They must show themselves to be the leaders of Canada and not just portions of the West.

The Bloc Quebecois will cooperate when it suits their objectives also. Increased support for Quebecois   industry, employment and involvement in foreign policy will not fall upon deaf ears within their ranks. An excellent example would be increased use of French speaking troops and Diplomats amongst the nations of "La Francophonie" that may require our assistance.

Finally the NDP. Although seen as anti-military, it is rather simplistic to assume they would be against any and all military activities, either domestic or abroad. The NDP in particular will not run amok with the Liberals until their goals regarding electoral reforms are partially implemented.

It must also be taken into consideration that each party will propose amendments and subsequently vote on the speech itself. We must exercise some patience in   realizing the future of this administration. As concerns abound regarding dissolution of Parliament., I would like to add on a more personal note that I couldn't hope for a better person to refuse the PM's wishes than the current G.G.

I haven't seen/heard these numbers anywhere else, but the Finance Minister was on CBC Radio promising (among other things) that the DND budget will grow by $3 billion over five years to pay for the additional 5,000 Reg Force troops and 3,000 Reservists.
Funny, but the "peacekeeping" bde idea seems to've fallen by the wayside ... thank God.

Hey they can call us the Canadian Mounted Peace Constables for all I care.   As long as they show me the money it doesn't matter how they dress it.   Believe it or not but politicians are smart and know how to get things done under the radar.   If they throw the public peacekeeping bones and it gets us more money to do more real training and boots on the ground then so be it.   If we have to do the Sudan thing once in awhile to prove our existence (in the publics eyes) then thats fine too.

P.S.   ALL politicians are liars so let the new gov't under Martin have its run 'cause I'm convinced that the other parties will always tell the voters what they want to see until they get in office and see the books.

I'm a little tired of all the reports comming out about how our equipment sucks. How we don't have enough money. How we don't have enough troops.  I don't know how many reports i've heard about that. It's not something new thats for sure. Instead of doing report after reort after report lets start ACTING on what the reports found.

Sometimes it takes a mountain of repetitive information (reports) to get through the general populaces 2 second attention span.  You know if you remind someone enough times about a certain thing then it sticks.

I'm with CFL on this. I'm going to be an optimist, for once. Give them a chance, I say.

Cheers.

Ghost778 said:
I'm a little tired of all the reports comming out about how our equipment sucks. How we don't have enough money. How we don't have enough troops.   I don't know how many reports i've heard about that. It's not something new thats for sure. Instead of doing report after reort after report lets start ACTING on what the reports found.

I am sick of it as well, but for very different reasons:

<heretic mode on> 
Our equipment doesn't suck (at least in the Army).  It is actually quite good, although we could use a bit more of it.  We (the military) probably do have enough money - we just aren't spending it on the right things.  I am convinved that we do not deliver $13B worth of capability to the people of Canada.  We have enough troops (just barely) to meet our Defence Tasks - the trouble is that our Defence Tasks are no longer linked to a relevant Defence Policy, and the government has a tendency to over commit us.
<heretic mode off>

It isn't as cut and dry, as black and white as both pundits and we like to make it out to be...

CFL said:
...If they through the public peacekeeping bones and it gets us more money to do more real training and boots on the ground then so be it...

I'll agree with that 100%

PPCLI Guy I agree. I was just painting the reports with a broad brush. I'm certain if we looked at our spending habits we could really find ways to cut out some silly spending and put the money where it's much better spent.

Back