• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Death by PowerPoint

George Wallace

Army.ca Dinosaur
Inactive
Reaction score
As we advance, our Methods of Instruction change with the times.  Many classes, POs/EOs, are now taught by PowerPoint.  It is a great improvement over the old OHPs, but for the 'computer illiterate' it can be a nightmare to create lesson plans on.  Always a challenge in creativity and a learning experience.  If done properly they are great, but sometimes can really cause a lecture/briefing to run way over time.

What kind of horror stories and praises are there for this method of instructing students?

From a student prospective,

Powerpoint lectures are definitely an asset if the instructor is skilled in its usage.  Some instructors who are new to the technology make it so that every single point is something that needs to be independently brought up; this is both annoying as a student and definitely creates stress on timings.  On the flipside, other instructors try to cram as much as possible on a page, making a huge mess of size 8 type, (hyperbole...I hope), which just results in note-takers getting lost every two seconds. 

At uni I found that I was always relieved when the lecture was given in powerpoint.  In addition to the aesthetic professionalism, it allows students to at the minimum absorb the key points (as long as the instructor isn't Speedy Gonzalez with the remote) while listening for the supplemental information. 

There are many horror stories, such as the presentations that are hours long with no reprieve, ie: one font on one plain-jane background.  Also, too many of the cheesy animations, (good for a laugh when placed properly), can get tedious. 

However, there is potential for *almost* any lecture to be made somewhat entertaining with powerpoint.  Pictures can be used to illustrate important points and even video can be incorporated into the lecture.  Little clips can do wonders to wake people up and interest them enough to actually pay attention to the material.....as long as it doesn't turn into one of Patty and Selma's travel clip shows. 

Everything in moderation.

Not so much a horror story about teaching, but the programme itself.

When the school I'm at converted from Win2000 to WinXP the Powerpoint version changed as well.  Upon starting up the presentations made under Win2000 in Office XP it was found that all the point by point animations were no longer present and everything appeared on the screen at once.  Still fixing that...

OH!  I just thought of a good one!  My instructor, a younger guy from India, was giving his presentation and had his back to his screen.  Eventually his screen-saver came on...I believe it was Maxim.  It consisted of very scantily-clad females in various beach poses.  He didn't notice the change but the one hundred and fifty or so of us started out in a kind of shock, then everybody sort of smiled, which progressed to snickers and finally some laughter until he turned around and made a mad dash to disconnect his laptop from the system. 

Just another thing for instructors to watch for.

I do that deliberately. Every so often, at random intervals, a picture of a semi-nekkid chick carying a weapon will magically appear. I will continue for an instant, then demand that a troop identify the firearm.

It amuses me. And that's the most important thing.

paracowboy said:
It amuses me. And that's the most important thing.

;D

So throat punch for failures?  Or do they half marks for identifying the make of thong

KevinB said:
So throat punch for failures?   Or do they half marks for identifying the make of thong
noogies, wedgies, and Indian burns! Far more amusing for all concerned.

I read a good essay somewhere on how Powerpoint was the death of good communication and critical thought in the Army.  

1) Essentially,
-   leaders simply present their superiors and subordinates with snappy phrases and one liners and a few pictures instead of
-   giving them something that requires independent analysis by both the author (to write it) and the reader (to process it and use it at his level).

- I should try and find that article again.

Cheers,
<click for next page>

I can stick them in there if you would like.  >:D

As help to anyone using powerpoint for lessons, there are a few good tips:

1 - Animations for the first and last screen only - aside from time taken to wait for "flying in from top left," animations take away from students' focus on teaching points and memory of lesson content;

2 - Clips to support a point - used once or twice in a lesson, the sound of a different voice and the chance to focus on someone or something else really helps keep attention of students as opposed to the however exciting and non-monotonous lecturer;

3 - no more than three or four POINTS (not sentences) in 18 - 36 or bigger fonts per screen, with the same or similar background screen which does not distract away from the points - One of the biggest mistakes when powerpoint was first introduced was to put the entire lesson on powerpoint.  Coupled with the cushy seats in the CFSME auditorium, this was a surefire way to get students sleeping, no matter HOW much they were told to stand up, wake up, push-up position, etc.  Plus, it insults the intelligence of those who can read by having the instructor to read every point to them, and belittles and 'switches off' those who have difficulties reading;

4 - USE POWERPOINT AS A TEACHING SUPPLEMENT, along with other...manipulatives (things for the students to touch).

A tool that mil schools and standards might consider in the future are webquests.  These allow students to self-teach, and might be used to support learning of a particular subject - Vehicle/mine recognition, for example. 
Chimo

Whether using PowerPoint or not, it still all boils down to METHOD OF INSTRUCTION!!!
(sorry for shouting, but I wanted to emphasize the MTP).

When used properly, or adroitly, PowerPoint can help the instructor.
However, not every instructor can make a boring lecture interesting ... ditto for PowerPoint.

One useful trick/hint concerns the balance between bullet points and speaking notes.  The bullets are the nuggets or gems that the listener should remember, while the notes are the amplification or explanation.  During some briefings/courses, you want the listener to ... listen (and think ...) with a view to remembering ... however, you're handicapping them if they're frantically trying to take notes, since some folks can't walk and chew gum ... so why should you expect them to be able to listen, think, remember and write simultaneously ... and so, Sum Up?  You can provide the "Notes Pages" AFTER the briefing/lesson, and thus ensure ALL the information is provided to the listener (but, it's often a mistake to give these notes out beforehand, since it's only the rare person who'll pay attention and resist the temptation to read ahead ...)

Also - another quick rule of thumb is this:  Use the font sizes recommended by the PowerPoint template - if you start changing them too often, particularly to smaller fonts ... you're probably trying to put too much info on one slide ...

Another "golden rule" is:  One slide per minute.  You can take this one to the bank, unless you're afflicted with verbal diarrhea ... and think you're ever so witty, able to speak extemporaneously on any given topic, or "best" of all ... think that your personal opinion/whims/witticims are much too important to be imparted after the briefing/lecture ...

One common failing amongst new users of PowerPoint is the tendency to try and use everything you've just learned ... step away from the keyboard ... "less is more", sometimes (but, more often than not ...).  When slides become so com;licated that they cause headaches and/or seizures ... ya might wanna think about breaking the info down into digestable chunks (and if you want, look up "chunking" in a psychology textbook - it refers to ... breaking information down into digestable chunks which can more readily be understood and remembered ... but ... I digress ...)

When you've earned your black belt in PowerPoint, you can inject video clips - but don't go overboard, as was pointed out already.  Teaching LOAC (Law Of Armed Conflict), or Target Indication, it sure gets people's attention if you include that clip of an insurgent getting ready to fire an RPG ... but then receiving a lead injection ... (you'll also notice the short, controlled bursts of auto wpn fire, as well as how some rounds bounce/skip off the pavement, thus demonstrating the advantage of aiming low ... but ... as always ... I digress ...)

Just like Peter Parker's uncle said:  "With great PowerPoint comes great responsibility."
My father was a carpenter, and taught me:  "It's only the bad craftsman who blames his tools ...".

I am a power point fanatic and here are my points:

Test it on the big screen prior to teaching.

I never use animations.(fly in etc)

Have a good graphics that do not looked stretched on screen.

Load your presentation on the hard drive of the computer you are using. Nothing worse than running off your memory stick or disk and it being slow or freezing.

If using MPEG's on the presentation ensure they are linked together on the hard drive, if not a shortcut link is the only created and no MPEG (pretty embarrassing)

always say there will be a test after the presentation, no matter what this keeps people interested.

Crow summing up!

I like powerpoint when it's done, as someone mentioned, in the "nugget" philosophy where the primary points are included - it allows you to take notes while still having time to actually listen to what's being said. That and student involvement do a good job of maintaining interest, I find. That being said, I can recall cramming way to much crap onto my powerpoint lesson for "Alcohol and the CF"... for some reason everything seemed essential and just HAD to go on the slide... lesson learned. :D

Lots of good advice here. Powerpoint is great if used properly. I use it on a semi-regular basis, and my experience is that you can loose your audience very quickly if you rely upon your slides too much.

Durring graduate school, I had to give lots of lectures for my thesis work and in the courses I was assisting in teaching. I would briefly introduce a concept on Powerpoint. When I did that, I would stand in the back of the room and talk from there. I found this was good because it forced the audience to really look at the Powerpoint slide and concentrate on what I was saying. I would turn the projector off and then show the method/application on the blackboard. I think went over quite well.

Sometimes nothing is better than a piece of chalk and a blackboard. It takes more time to cover material, but the audience will be able to see your thought process while you are discussing a topic more easily. That is often more important.

As stated, the PowerPoint presentation should support the speaker, rather than vice versa.

Some recommended style points:

Use consistent backgrounds, even to the extent of every lesson in a course, or a PO using the same one. The consistency helps reinforce to the students where they are, and they don't have to decipher the visual aspects of the presentation in each new lesson. Consistency in unit/course/trade/army graphics applies similarly.

Use a high contrast between background and text colours, and test it in the varying light conditions of your instructional spaces.

Use a large clear font. Don't mix fonts expect for isolated reasons of emphasis.

MINIMIZE the variety of screen change techniques, best to use none at all or one subtle change (like fade) throughout. Mixing them up may make you think you're PPT Wizard but all it is to the aufience is a distraction.

When inserting photos, reduce their size in a graphics program before inserting them to keep your PPT file size and processing time down.

Stay away from animated gifs, spinning objects, etc. they draw the students' attention to the object on the screen, rather than your spoken presnetation backed up by the WORDS or important IMGAES on the screen.

(As stated) .... Bullets, short lists, rather than narrative text paragraphs (which many won't be able to copy in the time available). Consider that if the student walks away with nothing more in their notes than your bullets, will it have given them what they really need to remember.

Use video clips sparingly - either because they really do emphasize the point you are making ... or, in the case of a very long presentation, perhaps as 'relief' from the marathon delivery. But don't train the students to only look forward to your class for the comic videos.

Michael O'Leary said:
... But don't train the students to only look forward to your class for the comic videos.

Shhh ... you're giving away all my trade secrets ... besides - the ends justify the means, as long as they come through the classroom door and then stay awake long enough to absorb the MTP ... (and, laughter stimulates the flow of oxygen to the brain ... now, if they'd only stop laughing at ME ... !!!)

I have been in the forces for just over a year now. I have taken many courses, from LS training to The beginings of my Signal Operator Appren course. So natually I have seen many many power points, and many OHPs. I think power point works much better, though some content can never be made to be more intresting, sometimes it is hard to stay awake, but thats just some people, But ya.. My two cents, I like the power point way of doing things. It saves alot of time. Recently we have even had instructors, Civillian, ex military, giving us hand outs , really it makes things a little easier. I have nasty handwritting at times, and having preprinted notes is good. But to all of you instructors out there, I do hope someday to be instructing myself, and though students may complain about power point, It  teaches us the fastest, and best way.. Keep up the good work guys and girls.

On the point of 'handouts', I found this summer that if the instructor handed out the presentation in the form of a Handout before the class, so that you could follow along; it was better that it was printed in the 'Notes' format with three slides per page and the right hand side lined so you could take notes beside each slide as you went along.  Often things are interjected for each slide in the lecture, that are not on the slide.

Back