• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Curious how everyone decided on their trade or Officer/NCM

I always wanted to be in the airforce because I heard my dad talk about his wartime experience since I was a young kid.  I knew I couldn't be a pilot because of my eye sight, but I still hoped to be aircrew.  Forget being an officer too, because I wasn't doing all that well in school. So Flight Engineer (FE) was my goal and at recruiting time I picked Airframe and Aeroengine Tech as my only 2 choices, since they were the only feeder trades for FE at the time. I didn't bother with picking a third one. Since I was already a Med A in the reserves, the recruiter was insisting that I picked that trade, but I knew that trade wasn't for me. I found out from a real experience that I didn't react well to the sight real bad injuries.  The first trade to open was Airframe, so I became an AF Tech. Being married, I later decided that FE wasn't suitable for my family life so I remained in my trade.

MasterInstructor said:
Well here was my selection process...

First I knew I wanted Navy

Then I knew I wanted to be an operator

I taught I would look into high-demand trades to increase my chances and get processed quickly

Sonar Op and Nav Comm were my 2 options. I decided on Nav Comm because I could not see my self doing sonar. Also Nav Comm has potential for land postings and also has a lot of civic possibilities if Navy does not work out for me.

cheers

UPDATE

After doing my CFAT, qualifying for almost all positions including officer`s, I decided change my trade choices, my reasoning was the fact that I wanted to make a use of my full potential and be in a position where I will be challenged more (Not saying Nav Comm would not be challenging for me) and also a position that would reward me (financially through spec pay) for the extra challenge.

I decided to change my trade choices to
1- NES Op
2- NCI Op
3- Nav Comm

Back